need some help

This is a discussion on need some help within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello everyone I'm new to the site and to the gun world and I am looking to purchase a handgun but I'm not exactly sure ...

Thread: need some help

need some help

Hello everyone

I'm new to the site and to the gun world and I am looking to purchase a handgun but I'm not exactly sure on what I want

I'm lookin for a nice small one for concealed carry the only one I have in mind is a ruger SR9C but I'm sure there are many other options out there

Help is greatly appreciated.....thanks in advance

2. Remove Ads

you will need to consider the method of carry that you will be using. the SR9c is a very good handgun and I would suggest that if 9mm is preferred caliber that you check out the Smith and Wesson M&P9c and the Keltec PF-9.

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    This is something I strongly recommend you decide for yourself. Yes everyone has a gun they carry and like, but your gun choice is a very personal thing. Go to a gun store that has lots of guns pick them up handle them, rent them and shoot them and then make your own choice.

The gun I carry is a Springfield XD, I carry both the service modle and the subcompact. There are many good guns out there to buy. XDs where what felt good in my hand, pointed where i looked with out fighting to find the sights. I suggest you do the same. Yes getting ideals from others is good but buy because YOU like it.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

I will second the advice to handle as many guns as you can. You have to find one that really fits your hand or you will not shoot it well.

I will suggest you look at the Kahr CW9. I have one and I love it. I wish I had bought one way sooner than i did. Fits my hand like a glove.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    I carry a snubnose revolver, easy to use and maintain, comfortable to carry in a pocket, good solid round with good power, and many different loads to choose from
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

The SR9C is a good choice. I have one and like it alot. But like their saying its a personal choice. It depends what feels right to you.

Before you even get your eye set on any specific gun or even type of gun you need to find some local ranges that may offer rentals or find a group of local shooters (maybe even here on this board) and offer to supply the ammo if you could join them on their next outing and try their gun. Most shooters jump at the chance to help out a new shooter.

Finding a reputable trainer that works with new shooters is a gold mine too since many have a variety of guns and types and will help you get familiar with them.

Best of luck and don't forget the safety rules above all else!

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    Before you even get your eye set on any specific gun or even type of gun you need to find some local ranges that may offer rentals or find a group of local shooters (maybe even here on this board) and offer to supply the ammo if you could join them on their next outing and try their gun. Most shooters jump at the chance to help out a new shooter.

Finding a reputable trainer that works with new shooters is a gold mine too since many have a variety of guns and types and will help you get familiar with them.

+1

If you're a new shooter, the best thing you can do is seek some help locally. Go to the range and see what people are shooting. If you see something you like, ask about it. Ask to put a few rounds through it, if possible. Once you have your gun picked out, you really should seek some training in proper handling/safety procedures and familiarize yourself extensively with that gun. That may even be required to apply for your CWP in some states.

Since you're in the Seattle area, I highly recommend getting started with a $50 course from Marty Hayes, who runs the Firearms Academy. Being around people with a similar mindset will build your confidence and help solidify your thoughts about "which gun."

Firearms Academy of Seattle, Inc. 360-978-6100

Oh - almost forgot - welcome!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey2011 View Post
    +1

If you're a new shooter, the best thing you can do is seek some help locally. Go to the range and see what people are shooting. If you see something you like, ask about it. Ask to put a few rounds through it, if possible. Once you have your gun picked out, you really should seek some training in proper handling/safety procedures and familiarize yourself extensively with that gun. That may even be required to apply for your CWP in some states.
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Since you're in the Seattle area, I highly recommend getting started with a $50 course from Marty Hayes, who runs the Firearms Academy. Being around people with a similar mindset will build your confidence and help solidify your thoughts about "which gun."

Firearms Academy of Seattle, Inc. 360-978-6100

Oh - almost forgot - welcome!

Thats the best free advice you can get.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum from Virginia.

You didn't say what the purpose of the gun is going to be. That can have a big influence on what you buy. If your looking for a range gun you really won't be worried about the size of the gun. A home defense gun still isn't going to be driven by size, but the type of sights on it will make a difference. You'll want something with good low light visibility. Generally speaking, in a conceal carry gun, you will want something smaller, but still want sights that are easy to see in low light.

There are many quality guns available at a reasonable price. Some will fit your needs, others won't. The only way you will know, is to try them. As others have suggested, find a shooting range that rent guns and try as many as you can. Also get professional training in the safe handling as well as the shooting skills.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by seatownboy13 View Post

Hello everyone
    I'm new to the site and to the gun world and I am looking to purchase a handgun but I'm not exactly sure on what I want
    I'm lookin for a nice small one for concealed carry ...
    Have you ever fired a handgun?
    Have you ever had any formal Firearms Training?

Choosing a weapon is the very LAST STEP in an important process.

If you have no experience I strongly suggest you find a local gunclub with
    instructors and/or contact the NRA to learn about training classes.

NRAInstructors.org - Portal for NRA certified Instructors, NRA Education and Training

-------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

GLOCK 19, it's the best all-around pistol there is.

Seriously, like others have said rent and fire several pistols before you choose. There are a lot of great shooting reliable pistols out there but they are definately not one size fits all. GLOCKS are some of the best and most relaible pistols out there but for some they just don't feel right. Good luck in your quest, keep the questions coming.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Quote Originally Posted by saunassa View Post
    you will need to consider the method of carry that you will be using. the SR9c is a very good handgun and I would suggest that if 9mm is preferred caliber that you check out the Smith and Wesson M&P9c and the Keltec PF-9.
    Dont get me wrong i love my pf 9 but i would not recommend it for a new shooter recoil is stout and likely to introduce a flinch. Ruger sr9c is a nice choice and nicely priced. As far as mode of carry I guarantee you'll be investigating this for quit a while. Rare is it you stumble on the most comfortable carry option for your unique body type and taste the first time or six times. Welcom to the club by the way and good luck.

Links