some thoughts about carrying

This is a discussion on some thoughts about carrying within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK, so I started my CCW app because I wanted to legally carry on me when I'm in BFE (I take a lot of trips ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: some thoughts about carrying

some thoughts about carrying

OK, so I started my CCW app because I wanted to legally carry on me when I'm in BFE (I take a lot of trips to really remote areas where sometimes you run into "odd" people). Then I started reading and thinking about it and came to conclusion that I'm really vunerable when I go to the range (the walk between the car and the range is out in the open and anyone could pull up and go after my range bag). OK, no biggie, I'll carry then. Then I started thinking of the times when I go to get more ammo after the range trip (or before) and realized that getting ammo I'm kind of marking myself as someone who might have weapons in the trunk of the car (especially if someone saw me @ gun store or wallmart getting ammo and then later in the vicinity of the range). Ok, no biggie, I will carry anytime I am on my way to gun range and to get ammo.

Well, thinking that I took care of all the major "threatening" situations I kind of relaxed and then I started thinking about what's happening out there: stabbings in a store, friend of mine being attacked at work (while that one would have not required a gun intervention it did make me think about not being safe anywhere).

OK, where does that take me? Well, it takes me to looking at carrying whenever I'm awake. From one perspective I'm wondering if that's not overdoing things. I'm not or never was a LEO, I never was involved with anything that would make me a potential target or piss any people off but it seems that the society/world we live in is rather messed up and for all intents and purposes noone is safe. Even the approach that I live in a pretty nice neighbourhood doesn't fly anymore because BG drive nice cars and even if they look suspicious, they can't really be harassed by the cops. Oh well, I'm counting the time till I get done with my CCW process (I just got approved recently for further processing: fingerprints and DOJ background check) so that I can start carrying to cover the Murphy's law (if I have it, I probably won't need it, if I don't have it on me... I definately will).

So, am I overthinking it? Or am I making no sense whatsoever?

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Huzar
    Well, thinking that I took care of all the major "threatening" situations I kind of relaxed and then I started thinking about what's happening out there:
    That's the thinking that needs to go into it, sure. Kudos! Think it through. You'll realize that: (a) there is risk out there, everywhere, and not just the "major" areas you have considered so far; (b) you're rational and sane to realize you have the ability to, and should, defend yourself; (c) you're about to take on a larger responsibility that requires forethought and deliberation.

If nothing else, a CCW/CHL helps keep your butt out of hot water during those many little transgressions the law has hidden in it, regarding firearms. At best, it's a strong measure you can take to keep you and yours protected in the event the unforeseen/unwanted occurs. No need to be a victim. Your responsibility to you and yours is: stay alive, happy and whole. If you can do that carrying, then you'll be fine.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

The answer to your question, as I understand it, is situational awareness 24-7. You should always know what is happening in your arena at all tines.

It's kinda like wearing a seatbelt... never know when you're going to need it, so you wear it every time.

Unless I'm going somewhere where it's against the law, I'm carrying.
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    You make perfect sense to me; you are beginning to think of the things that can happen and how prepared you are if it does.

Speaking of being targeted because you appear to be armed, it certainly has happened. In the famous Miami, FL bank robber case of 1986, one of their earlier victims was a fellow who was shooting "out in the sticks". After he was finished shooting and put the gun away in the trunk of his car, they targeted him ("they" being a couple of ex-Army 101st Airborne rangers). He said they pointed a large revolver at him, and he noticed with dismay that the person holding it did so rock steady. He was told that they were going to take his car, guns, and money (not mentioning also his life -- at least that was their intent). They shot him but failed to kill him, and this was eventually their undoing as he lived to provide evidence.

Not the most everyday event; but that's why we carry, for those rare days when **** happens.

Are you"'overthinking" ?

I don't think so.

Here's something else to consider during your thought process:

Whenever you read or hear about someone getting robbed, mugged, stabbed, raped, beaten or killed; ask yourself this question: Whenever each of those people woke up that morning, did they even remotely think "today is the day they I'm going to be robbed, mugged, stabbed, raped, beaten or killed" ?

I don't think so.

Being robbed, mugged, stabbed, raped, beaten or killed happens mostly to the unprepared and untrained. Our society is changing rapidly, and not for the best.

Your thinking proves that you are accepting the responsibility of protecting yourself and your loved ones, that you are not willing to be a victim. That is a very wise decision these days.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT

Your thinking proves that you are accepting the responsibility of protecting yourself and your loved ones, that you are not willing to be a victim. That is a very wise decision these days.

+1

I'm at the point where I feel naked with a gun.

I was catching some flak from my mom-in-law (in no way anti-gun) yesterday about carrying in church (another story on how she found out...). I explained to her that 'bad things' happen anyplace at anytime. Usually in places and times when you don't expect them to. She seemed to understand my logic.
    OPE Prostaff
    www.outdoorproductexchange.com

Sitting Ducks Ltd. Prostaff
    http://www.sittingducks-ltd.com/

You are not paranoid.
    I am always on my GF about personal safety, to think ahead and to look out for potential trouble and just notice the small things going on around her.
    A few months ago when I packed to go spend a few days with her, she says " Why are you bringing two guns ?" She was refering to the Colt mustang in my front pocket, and the Para LDA in my carry bag. I explained to her the reasons behind my sanity. She has never questioned me again. I maybe nuturing a new shooter in her. Afterall, I told her do not depend on that fancy house alarm that contacts her if she then needs the cops. Its a little too late when your raped and /or dead 20 minutes when they get there....

Are you over thinking it, no. Things happen to people for no real reason. Case in point; I used to do freelance Photography( Fashion and news), 1. On one photo session at park in western washington, a Man started following I and my Models so we decided to move to a new location. He followed us in his Volkswagen, so I went to a residential area and parked( not anywhere close to where the Models lived) when I got out of the car the man following me asked me if I knew of any more parks nearby. When they finally caught Ted Bundy I recognized him as the man who was following us.
    2. While doing a Photo shoot at the Des Moines Washington Pier, I was aproached by a man who said that he was an escaped prisoner and that if I pointed my camera in his direction he would kill me.
    3. I was covering a parade in Pasco washington when a man crossed the street and asked if I had taken a picture of him, when I said no, he said If I did that he would hunt me down.
    4. Last case another photographer was doing street photography in Seattle when a man walked up and accused him of taking a picture and then shot him in the head.

So! have you over thought it ? I don't think so. I carry everywhere I can all my wakeing hours. I avoid places that I can't carry. Gone are the days it is safe to walk unarmed( as if there ever were any).

Here's a suggestion...start reading your local town/city/county police blotter on a daily basis.
    Even if you get the paper just to read that and ignore all else read the police blotter.
    It won't be long before you see exactly what all does happen and how random crap can be be you town or country, large or small, and that as noted by DaveT none of those people woke up or went to bed thinking I'm going to be mugged, raped, robbed, shot, or home invaded today. In fact it's the opposite as they don't think on it at all or figure it won't happen to them becuase they are nice people and live in a nice neighborhood and work at a nice job.
    Bad things only happen to people who are not nice people, live in bad neighborhoods and/or work at bad jobs, right?.

I don't think you're over thinking things.
    If anythign you're having an awakening from a fog and your minds eye is now beginning to see the world as it unfortunately is with clarity. Being defensive minded is no worst than being safety minded such as always wearing your seatbelt and always paying your insurance bills to retain coverage in the event of the unexpected and undesired instance.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Huzar,

No sir, you are not "overthinking" the situation. You are not simply dreaming, either.

Sounds to me like you just woke up to the reality of things.

mm
    Political Correctness has now "evolved" into Political Cowardice.

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    Huzar,

As has been said before, nothing wrong with realizing that you are responsible for your own safety. Law enforcement is there for the public at large, not "YOU" or me or anyone else. Not that LEOs wouldn't do everything they could, They just simply can not be everywhere, all the time.

I don't think you are over thinking about this. IMO, Just doing a pretty good job of CYA.

I am starting to carry more and more around the house, with a three year old, and living in the country, I'm not taking any chances about someone coming up to the house, or even stray dogs while out playing. You never know.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Senior Member Array hsuCowboy98's Avatar
    I was catching some flak from my mom-in-law (in no way anti-gun) yesterday about carrying in church

I too have had to deal with this question, but my answer is always the same.

When I was in High School, a friend who had moved to Dallas just months earlier was at church when a man bust into their service, and killed several people, my friend Cassie included. He had the luxary of being able to take his time and pick off everyone he could see. Now imagine if just 1 or 2 people had been carrying in that service....how much differant that situation would have been.

Sometimes when we are most complacent with our surroundings, is when we are most vulnerable to attack. The lesson is to expect the unexpected, train for the untrainable, and always be aware of the situations around you.

Paranoia is not being aware of the things that take place but rather, thinking that everything is happening to you.

Preparedness is knowing what can happen, and being ready to strike it down when it does.

Sounds like youre ready to be prepared.
    Fear No Evil.

HSu,

Here are some news items of recent note that you might forward to dear old mom in regard to church service and crime activity:

* "Five dead after church shooting"
    http://today.reuters.com/news/newsAr...IME-CHURCH.xml

* "Church-service assault. Assailants disrupt 11 a.m. Mass at Annunciation of the Lord, breaking altar; felony charges filed"
    http://www.decaturdaily.com/decaturd.../assault.shtml

* "Three die in church shooting"
    http://washingtontimes.com/national/...2416-7170r.htm

* "Church, Police Probe 7 Murders"
    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/...in679823.shtml

* "Police Have Suspect in Church Shooting" <The pastor!>
    http://www.keyt.com/news/local/2325596.html

* " Two Die In Midwest Church Shooting"
    http://copycateffect.blogspot.com/20...-shooting.html

Even more are out there and available pretty easy to find via Google.
    I'll bet no one thought or thinks that crime might occur at, in or around a church...yet like everywhere else int he world sadly it does.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Assistant Administrator
    Well, it takes me to looking at carrying whenever I'm awake
    Yes indeed - and this is not paranoia!

Can we predict the unpredictable - well heck no - in just the same way you cannot foresee the day you have a flat - the day you most certainly need that serviceable spare. Same deal.

We might or hopefully will - end our days having avoided thru good happenstance and good alertness, the scenario where your gun is needed but - the inability to be precognitives means the best insurance is 16/7 carry

What's that old saying - ''never get caught with your pants down''!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links