Somone explain the DE cc laws to me?

This is a discussion on Somone explain the DE cc laws to me? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; alright this make absolutely no sense to me... read the requirements, specifically #1...seems ridiculous. Delaware Concealed Carry Permit Information the state is a may issue ...

Thread: Somone explain the DE cc laws to me?

Somone explain the DE cc laws to me?

alright this make absolutely no sense to me...
    read the requirements, specifically #1...seems ridiculous.

Delaware Concealed Carry Permit Information

the state is a may issue state to residents only, here is my question..
    i want to carry in DE when i move back to PA because i will be doing business there. So i cant get a cc permit from DE so i am going to get a non res one from FL which is recognized in DE, which is a lot easier than the requirements for DE and it's a shall issue and not a may issue. why is it easier to get an out of state cc permit? DE residents can just get a FL license and be guaranteed the right to carry. if they try to get a DE licensee they could be denied! how does this make sense? can anyone shed light on this
    There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.

2. Remove Ads

Attempting to apply logic to politics/legislation only leads to frustration.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by nick060200 View Post
    alright this make absolutely no sense to me...
    read the requirements, specifically #1...seems ridiculous.

Delaware Concealed Carry Permit Information

the state is a may issue state to residents only, here is my question..
    why is it easier to get an out of state cc permit? DE residents can just get a FL license and be guaranteed the right to carry. if they try to get a DE licensee they could be denied! how does this make sense? can anyone shed light on this
    I would check out the bolded part of your statement very closely. Most States require their residents to have their permit to CC, but I haven't researched Delaware's laws.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    The newspaper posting is a catch all for sorting out non-felons of questionable background I guess it used to be even more difficult when your references had to be from your voting district. Back then we did not have the training requirement, kind of odd I'll agree. In reallity Delaware is a shall issue state with heavy oversight, I do not know any "qualified" person or any person for that matter who has been denied by the Superior Court. As for Delawareans carrying on a FL non-resident:

"Pursuant to 11 Del.C. ' 1441(j), as of July 11, 2003, Delaware law allows residents of other states who have been issued a concealed deadly weapon license or permit by certain other states to lawfully carry concealed deadly weapons in Delaware if the state that issued the permit or license also recognizes Delaware's concealed deadly weapons licenses, and if Delaware's Attorney General also determines that the concealed deadly weapons licensing or permit laws in the issuing state "afford a reasonably similar degree of protection as is provided by licensure in Delaware." The Attorney General has determined that only states that require proof of training in firearms safety as a part of their licensing or permit process can meet this requirement.
    The Attorney General is in the process of securing agreements with the appropriate officials in certain other states which when completed, permit persons who have a concealed deadly weapon license or permit issued by one of those states to lawfully possess a concealed deadly weapon while visiting or traveling through Delaware. Similarly, Delawareans will be able to possess a concealed deadly weapon while visiting or traveling through those states. However, as of today Delaware does not recognize the concealed deadly weapon licenses or permits issued by states other than those listed below, and these states do not recognize Delaware's concealed deadly weapons licenses as valid."
    I really do not understand why this concerns you so much since you are not eligible for a DE CCW.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

so an out of state res can carry but if you live there you cannot unless you have a DE license? never heard of that, but i do not know the rules either, i do know with a FL license i can carry there while being a resident of PA.
    There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.

my question was just why was it easier to obtain a FL license and be able to carry in DE than it was to obtain a DE license and carry there? there are less requirements for FL than DE. and the whole newspaper thing didn't seem right (people knowing you carry and where you live)??? i was simply pointing out that if i was a res of DE that i might think about getting a FL or UT or whatever state that issues a non res permit that is valid in DE.

so an out of state res can carry but if you live there you cannot unless you have a DE license?
    that is how the above law is interprited, I had an AG letter at one point but I lost it when I lost my old laptop.

i do know with a FL license i can carry there while being a resident of PA.
    correct
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

my question was just why was it easier to obtain a FL license and be able to carry in DE than it was to obtain a DE license and carry there? there are less requirements for FL than DE. and the whole newspaper thing didn't seem right (people knowing you carry and where you live)??? i was simply pointing out that if i was a res of DE that i might think about getting a FL or UT or whatever state that issues a non res permit that is valid in DE.
    How do any gun laws make sense, on the positive about the DECCW; Delaware is much cheaper than most once you jump the initial hurdles.

PA does not honor a DE permit, if they did, you could cc in DE with your PA permit.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    I would check out the bolded part of your statement very closely. Most States require their residents to have their permit to CC, but I haven't researched Delaware's laws.
    Not necessarily MOST states...but DE is definitely one of them.

If you live in PA and want coverage in DE I suggest the Arizona permit over the FL one. It's cheaper and easier to get.

Links