Do you carry your best gun or a throw away beater for CCS?

This is a discussion on Do you carry your best gun or a throw away beater for CCS? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carry anything from a $369.00 RIA compact 45, $600.00 Sig 229, $500.00 M&P 45c,to a 1100.00 Colt SS XSE Commander.they are all reliable,If it ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Do you carry your best gun or a throw away beater for CCS?

I carry anything from a $369.00 RIA compact 45, $600.00 Sig 229, $500.00 M&P 45c,to a 1100.00 Colt SS XSE Commander.they are all reliable,If it comes down to SD shooting and everything following that I won't give a damn about if my gun is booked into evidence.
    bbqgrill likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

2. Remove Ads

I carry my SIGs....if one is taken by the police after an act of self-defense, that is why I have another...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    It kinda makes sense, except that everyone should carry a weapon that they have trained a lot with, they can shoot it accurately and is reliable to use for personal defense. I wouldn't leave a Wilson Combat 1911 in my safe and carry a Hi-Point, but I guess it would make sense to carry Glocks and keep the expensive safe queens at home. Nonetheless, I think that in a life-or-death scenario, the cost of my handgun would be the least of my concerns at that moment. I just want it to work and make all my shots count. Whatever comes after will be a plus since you are alive.

In conclusion, I would forget what other people think or recommend you with regards to this subject and just stick with whatever carry system works for you and will get you back home safe and sound.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Carry what you're confident with saving your life and forget the cost. If I wreck my truck my deductible is $500 oh well the truck sacrificed itself and I'm out $500. God forbid I have to use my firearm in self defense I'm out a gun oh well I'm alive.

I have been carrying my S&W Sigma, which was $300 when I bought it, and it has been nothing but reliable. I'm about 500 rounds in, and would gladly trust my life to it. It's basically a G19 with a 10lb trigger pull. lol. No external safeties or anything and I carry it with one in the pipe without a second thought.

I also have a Taurus PT140, that was won at the FNRA banquet last month, that I love, but don't quite trust it enough to carry yet. It retails for $483. It's reliable, but I just don't trust it yet.

I would much rather carry my $300 Sigma than any other gun I've held. Price doesn't count when it comes to a defensive handgun. What counts is reliability and if YOU trust it. If they trust that $200 gun as much or more than any other gun they have, than why shouldn't they carry it? A gun doesn't have to be expensive to be reliable.

Senior Member Array royal barnes's Avatar
    With the exception of a Smith snubby that is my "can't conceal anything else gun" all my carry guns are Colt 1911's. I carry the one I shoot the best. If it is confiscated I go to the safe and pull out another one very much like it. I don't own expensive custom guns but I do own good, reliable ones.
    oneshot and Chaplain Scott like this.

VIP Member
    Well I remember a story about a guy and his buddies out front of an office and such, and some thugs rounded them up , got them inside, and this guy shoots BG's, they shoot back and fle the scene. guns are rounded up for evidence. He, (the GG) was shot in the hand, his pistol was soaked in blood. Yes it saved his life, but was being slowly ruined in an evidence bag.
    I know if I had a $2-3000 pistol I would not use it , unless it was a dire circumstance.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

I think the concern is real, I have recenty worked on two guns taken by LEO agencies from innocent people and destroyed, neglected, and stolen from while in police custody.

Having said that, I don't really factor that in to my carry choice. I carry a Colt 1991A1, a Browning HP, a P7M8, and a Glock depending on my mood for the day. All are pretty custom, and I see no need to baby them.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

JD
    Administrator
    The way I see it, people drive Ferraris, wear Rolexes knowing full well that the car could be crashed or the watch stolen, people have 3K lap tops that a spilled cup of coffee could destroy. I'm not worried about my Nighthawk, it's Ion Bond over hard chrome I'd probably be reimbursed for the blood corrosion testing on the finishes alone.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    Well I remember a story about a guy and his buddies out front of an office and such, and some thugs rounded them up , got them inside, and this guy shoots BG's, they shoot back and fle the scene. guns are rounded up for evidence. He, (the GG) was shot in the hand, his pistol was soaked in blood. Yes it saved his life, but was being slowly ruined in an evidence bag.
    I know if I had a $2-3000 pistol I would not use it , unless it was a dire circumstance.
    I don't know this for a fact and haven't confirmed it with Wilson Combat or Nighthawk, but I'd be willing to put money on their customer service that if the gun was used in a justified manner to save your life and was subsequently damaged or degraded due to ill treatment while in evidence that Wilson Combat (or Nighthawk or, heck, even Glock) would fix it with minimal to no charge to you. I don't think they would completely replace a gun if it were lost or stolen, but something like a rusted barrel because it sat in blood for six months wouldn't be such a hard thing for them to replace to keep their good name blossoming amongst gun advocates everywhere. It would certainly be a HUGE point in their favor if they did.. For the price of a barrel or refinishing they get the, "Hey, my gun was damaged in evidence after I used it in a justified shooting and XYZ-manufacturer replaced the damaged parts at no charge to me" story on every gun forum and spreading like wild-fire across Facebook, twitter and every other social networking sight out there.

I carry the gun that best guarantees that I'll be around to regret it being taken into evidence.

What ever gun that ends up being will be priceless when that becomes an issue.

Administrator
    Cost doesn't factor into my process. I carry what I what which equals to whats best for the situation. My main carry gun is worth less than a grand. I would be ticked off when it has to go sit in time out, but I know that is necessary and part of the game. That is why I keep others just like it.

There is nothing about self defense that is cheap. Get used to the idea. It will actually save you money and headache in the long run.
    JD and Bark'n like this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Cost doesn't factor into my process. I carry what I what which equals to whats best for the situation. My main carry gun is worth less than a grand. I would be ticked off when it has to go sit in time out, but I know that is necessary and part of the game. That is why I keep others just like it.

There is nothing about self defense that is cheap. Get used to the idea. It will actually save you money and headache in the long run.
    That's signature material right there.

Administrator
    Thanks. I kinda like that line myself.

Thinking further into this, I just don't get the logic of using a crappy gun because of an irrational fear. I have a few guns in my collection that are almost priceless status. I would not consider carrying them simply because of the value, both monetarily and historical. I haven't even layed eyes on two of them in close to ten years. One is on a national registry, the other remains anonymous. I do that to preserve them. They are packed up and safely tucked away for my grandkids (that don't exist yet) to find one day while I'm taking a dirt nap. But, If I had to give one up to save a life, guess what? I'll give it up.

But, I purposely buy the best self defense guns money can buy that fit my style and purpose... and that is what I carry. Some cost roughly 400, others are triple that. None of my purpose bought self defense guns are so rare or valuable they cannot be replaced.
    If it has done its job saving my life, a family member, friend, coworker or even complete stranger throw it in the garbage for all I care. It was money well spent and I don't give a hoot what its worth.

I drive my car everyday. I might crash it. Somebody might steal it. I might run over somebody with it. The police will surely impound it then. Its nothing special. But it is mine, I paid cash for it and its a heck of a lot more valuable than any of my carry guns by a wide margin. Using this logic, I should keep it in my garage and ride a Huffy to work.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I don't play the expensive gun game. One, I can't really afford it. Two, I know how I treat something that I use every day. I buy good so I can use it and not worry about messing it up, but I know it will work. My main carry is a G19. I heat stippled the grip and that's about all that I've done to it. I has some serious holster wear and a few dings. I did not pay so much that any of that bothers me. And loosing it for a while would not either. Heck, even loosing it permanently would not be the end of the world. I'd probably just buy another used one.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links