Do you carry your best gun or a throw away beater for CCS?

This is a discussion on Do you carry your best gun or a throw away beater for CCS? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have friends who have these wonderful expensive handguns, but for concealed carry, they opt for a cheap gun. Their theory is that if they ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Do you carry your best gun or a throw away beater for CCS?

I have friends who have these wonderful expensive handguns, but for concealed carry, they opt for a cheap gun. Their theory is that if they are ever in a situation where they have to use it, they don't want the police to confiscate their expensive gun.

I on the other hand, prefer to carry what I am confident with and most often that is the $600 plus gun rather than the $200 one I keep in the glove compartment.

What is your choice?

Senior Moderator
    I have a 1911 worth about $2,000 that I carry regularly. My husband's latest 1911 is worth more than mine and he carries it almost daily.

For me, it's not about the $$$, it's about me, what I'm comfortable and my life. Would it suck to get my $2,000 Wilson Combat taken away from me? Yeah. But it would suck a whole lot more to die. Now, I'm not saying a $600 gun is cheap and I will carry a Glock or a Sig or HK or any gun that has proven to me to be reliable but price tag does not warrant what I carry... reliability and performance does.

I trust my Wilson and that's why I carry it.

Administrator
    "they don't want the police to confiscate their expensive gun."

Trust me. That will be right down there at the very bottom of your "worry list" if & when you ever have to use it.
    Bkrazy, bbqgrill, kal0 and 2 others like this.

I don't own any pistols worth over a grand, so confiscate away. I do dream about those "wonderful expensive handguns" from time to time.
    Rifles now that's different all together, "from my cold dead hands."
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    I only have one right now. I think its silly they take your protection from those that may want to get back at you for using force.

Sent from my EVO via Tapatalk pro.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

Couldn't imagine leaving the better gun at home, no matter how much it cost.
    bbqgrill likes this.
    Anybody can get scared, but you must absolutely not let that affect your behavior. Cowardice kills. -Jeff Cooper

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    Always the most reliable weapon that I'm good at using. To heck with the value when I'm in need of my weapon.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

Im on the "I carry what I am confident with" camp. I dont have any "expensive" pistols, but if I did and it was what was the most reliable that is what I would carry. As QK said my confiscated pistol would be the last of my worries......
    Please take my posts with a grain of salt. I am frequently sleep deprived and always just on this side of "Krazy".

When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle. Edmund Burke

Cool

Why would I want to trust my life to an old beater. I don't have any handguns worth over $800 and none worth less than $200 but whatever handgun I am carrying on any given day to me is priceless because I am trusting my life with it.

On duty
    photo.jpg

Off duty
    photo.jpg
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

That would be like driving around in an old beat up car while leaving the BMW parked in the garage.

If you have to worry about the cost or value of a firearm then why bother owning one of great value. Just get a Jennings, Raven or Lorcin and be done with it.

I have two older handguns that I carry regularly, their cost in the 80's was between $100 & $300. Comparable pieces would be in the $400-$500 range today but it shouldn't matter. If the cheapie does the trick so be it but if the Ferrari of shooters is your cup o tea, then that will work too.
    AZDaven likes this.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

I just got a Kimber Ultra CDP II LG. Once it proves itself at the range, it will be on my hip.

That is why I was asking. I have a couple Keltec's and such that I never carry, but are fun to shoot and I don't mind them being in less than a pristine environment.

I have an old S&W Airweight that I purchased new for $125 in 1969, I still carry it today as it has proved it's reliability! Of course they do cost a little more now!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I have always said that "The best available hand gun for defencive carry is only just good enough". Cost has a little to do with that, but my life has everything to do with that.
    US ARMY Veteran 1965-1967 Vietnam 1966-1967
    WELCOME HOME TO ALL WHO SERVED, AND FOR THOSE STILL SERVING,
    A BIG THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE. FOR THOSE OF YOU DOWN RANGE
    WATCH YOUR 6, AND KEEP YOUR HEAD DOWN.
    A PATRIOT BELIEVES IN IT....A VETERAN LIVED IT

I don't have any "expensive" guns, but all my guns are quality guns, I have no "cheapies". I have a practice mirror of my carry gun. My primary has several hundred dollars worth of work on it that my practice gun does not.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

My carry is what I trust to work everytime either in an emergency just at the range.
    As for confiscation I hope that I retained and continue learning what I have been taught in the different courses I have taken and would be able to have my carry firearm returned to me.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links