Iowa Permit to Carry

This is a discussion on Iowa Permit to Carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just got my permit to carry weapons in Iowa from Jefferson County. Much to my surprise it is merely a sheet of paper almost ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Iowa Permit to Carry

Iowa Permit to Carry

I just got my permit to carry weapons in Iowa from Jefferson County. Much to my surprise it is merely a sheet of paper almost identical to the permit to purchase handguns they give out. I have a friend with a carry permit from Scott County Iowa and his is a regular photo ID style. I was told it would cost me $25 to replace this sheet of paper with a new sheet of paper. These permits are valid for five years. Any experience or advice on carrying around a sheet of paper for five years without damaging it too bad?

On the plus side, I did not have to wait at all to receive my permit. The whole ordeal took about 15 min and I was out of there.
    "Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." (Thompson)

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by buzzhead8189 View Post
    I just got my permit to carry weapons in Iowa from Jefferson County. Much to my surprise it is merely a sheet of paper almost identical to the permit to purchase handguns they give out. I have a friend with a carry permit from Scott County Iowa and his is a regular photo ID style. I was told it would cost me $25 to replace this sheet of paper with a new sheet of paper. These permits are valid for five years. Any experience or advice on carrying around a sheet of paper for five years without damaging it too bad?

On the plus side, I did not have to wait at all to receive my permit. The whole ordeal took about 15 min and I was out of there.
    Some counties have the extra means for the plastic permits, mine does not. I keep mind folded up in a plastic sleeve (after making several copies of it)

Any legalities with copies of the permit that you are aware of?
    "Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." (Thompson)

Congrats on the new permit...
    Idaho is now a bit safer!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Does anyone know if it's even a requirement to have the permit on you? The reason I am asking if that despite how little gun friendly RI is, it's not a requirement that you have the permit on you (I always do anyway). This could have been an oversight by the legislatures when the law was passed, or it could be that the RI Bureau of Criminal Investigation has a record of all permits and it LEO can call 24/7. I don't know if other states require you to have the permit on you.

mbw
    I am in Dubuque County, Iowa. We also just have a half sheet of paper as our permit. I just made a copy with my laser printer. You couldn't tell the difference unless you put them under a microscope, but even then, I don't think it matters much. I keep my original in the filing cabinet and the copy in my wallet. At the end of the day you still have a permit and are legal. They sure didn't go to any measure to keep people from counterfeiting them. I would assume if you ever got into some situation with your firearm that they would check the database and such.

JD
    Administrator

none that i am aware of, i do carry the original, the spares are just incase.

Quote Originally Posted by mandalitten View Post
    Does anyone know if it's even a requirement to have the permit on you? .
    yes, when carrying concealed.

724.5 Duty to carry permit to carry weapons.
    A person armed with a revolver, pistol, or pocket billy concealed upon the person shall have in the person’s immediate possession the permit provided for in section 724.4, subsection 4, paragraph “i”, and shall produce the permit for inspection at the request of a peace officer. Failure to so produce a permit is a simple misdemeanor.
    Even if one chooses to open carry, they should have their permit handy.

Congrats.... glad they changed some of the laws for you guys, especially the "shall issue".
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Well JD, you can Open Carry in the sticks with no permit, likewise while hunting in a firearms season (not archery season, for instance). You DO need a permit to carry concealed in the sticks or to carry in a city. Now, assuming you're ticketed for no permit, if you present the permit at court and it was valid on the day of the offense, you're free to go without penalty. Now with all that said, if you're carrying in town, you'd best have your permit on ya. You can be totally right and still be tasered, pepper sprayed, beaten with an ASP, and tossed in the hoosegow over night...with a heartfelt apology the following day of course...LOL

And for the OP--quite a few counties do the plastic card. Blackhawk, Polk, and Linn, for instance. You can have one made at that office and it will still be "good" anywhere in Iowa.
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

JD
    Administrator
    Well Dan, you can carry during archery season if you have a deer license and unfilled tag that allows for the use of a handgun.

As for the open carry thing, I would still advise one to have their permit handy regardless of location

Hold it right there Dan, are you saying I can get a permit from any county in Iowa? I guess I was under the impression that it must come from my county of residence. Definitely something I will check in to.

JD
    Administrator
    Hold it right there Dan, are you saying I can get a permit from any county in Iowa? I guess I was under the impression that it must come from my county of residence. Definitely something I will check in to.
    No, you must apply for your permit in the county in which you are a resident, what Dan is saying is that once you have your permit you may be able to get a plastic card from another county, I haven't heard of such actually happening but it may be possible.

724.11 Issuance of permit to carry weapons.
    1. Applications for permits to carry weapons shall be made to the sheriff of the county in which the applicant resides.

VIP Member
    Any experience or advice on carrying around a sheet of paper for five years without damaging it too bad?
    Just laminate it at your local office supply store. That's what I did with my plain paper PA permit.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by GunnyBunny View Post
    Just laminate it at your local office supply store. That's what I did with my plain paper PA permit.
    The Iowa paper permit is about 7 inches long and 3 inches tall.

JD
    Administrator

My 2010 permit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links