anti-gun propoganda for returning soldiers

This is a discussion on anti-gun propoganda for returning soldiers within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I posted this on another forum, but thought that it should get maximum exposure. ------------------------------------------------------------ I had drill this past weekend. We went to Camp ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: anti-gun propoganda for returning soldiers

anti-gun propoganda for returning soldiers

I posted this on another forum, but thought that it should get maximum exposure.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

I had drill this past weekend. We went to Camp Dodge for equipment showdowns and various admin lanes. My unit returned from Afghanistan 13 months ago so part of the admin lanes involved medical or mental issues from the deployment.

We had the please of watching a 40 minute movie about dealing with post-traumatic stress. The movie was a series of short scenes that depicted soldiers dealing with different adjustment issues after returning from a combat zone. It was narrated by a LTC Castro. He would come on after every scene and talk about what happened and how to properly cope with it.

The first scene showed a soldier and a friend getting ready to go on a picnic. The soldier is seen loading his SUV. He quickly puts a 9mm Beretta 92 in a bag and places it in the back seat of his vehicle. His friend then slams the tailgate and the loud noise causes the soldier to have a flashback to combat. The two get in the SUV and the soldier begins driving very aggressively. He passes a police car and gets pulled over. As soon as I saw the 9mm I knew I was going to get angry. When I saw the police car I figured the guy would get in a shoot-out with the officer. That did not happen. The officer pulled him over and then the scene ended.

What happened next caused me to lose my military-bearing. LTC Castro came on the screen and began discussing what had transpired. I don’t remember his exact words but here are some of the highlights…

“Why does anyone need to take a loaded weapon to a picnic?”

To which I screamed out loud enough for everyone to hear, “Because he is exercising his second amendment rights!”

“Having a loaded weapon in combat is good. Having a loaded weapon at home is never a good thing.”

I think I screamed about it being a bunch of propaganda.

“Why would anyone feel the need to carry a loaded weapon at home?”

Because he chose self-defense over being a sheep.

There were only six soldiers from my company in the room, but there was the greater portion of another company in there, including their first sergeant. No one said anything to me during the film, but the guys from my company (who all know how I feel about this topic) were nearly falling out of their chairs, laughing. Afterwards I figured I would get talked to about it, but no one said anything.

I agree that a soldier having post-traumatic stress problems should probably stay away from firearms for a while until he or she deals with their issues. But the way that LTC Castro was wording every thing was not that it was bad to have a firearm when dealing with combat related stress issues, but that it was bad to have a firearm at all.

I am disgusted. Has anyone else seen this film?

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar
    What a crock! I would recomend finding out which dept. produced the video and writing a very cordial and well worded e-mail to be forwarded to your pro 2A senators and congressmen.

Wow! Thats our government for ya.

More government propaganda. Only the trained government official will protect you. You should rely on them and never do it for yourself. RIGHT!!!!
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

That is really too bad. A possible opportunity to help and/or educate someone becomes a pile of garbage. Aloysius, at least you said something -- good for you!

So guns are okay at war when we are fighting for oil prices but NOT okay at home to defend our lives. Ooops...am I getting political?
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    The message is that guns are bad except when the government tells you to use them on who they want you to intimidate/shoot.

Gays, women, and now this...

J/K.

During my 23.5 years wearing the uniform, we periodically would see stuff like this. It generally is initaited by some civilian puke who does not get it. The LTC probably works for this puke, and may well be a left handed officer. (They do exsist!). I would have reacted much the same as you. Glad you had the nads to speak up. Just disregard these pukes and their pittiful messages. They are all retarted and don't know any better!
    God Bless the USA

You said it AutoFan!
    +1
    It comes a time in your life when you run across someone you should have never @#$$% with. Allow me to introduce myself!

Understand this doesn't always happen in the military of course. Yes we do have libs throughout our ranks, but this guy is in the minority class

Senior Moderator
    I've always found it somewhat perplexing that someone that could drive an M1 tank, pilot an F-14, be at the helm of a nuclear sub or aircraft carrier, be a SAW operator,a Sniper or a regular grunt on patrol and all of a sudden couldnt be trusted with a handgun once he took the uniform off.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns
    I've always found it somewhat perplexing that someone that could drive an M1 tank, pilot an F-14, be at the helm of a nuclear sub or aircraft carrier, be a SAW operator,a Sniper or a regular grunt on patrol and all of a sudden couldnt be trusted with a handgun once he took the uniform off.
    Ain't that the truth
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Folks,

I may be going against the grain, but I will toss in some personal thoughts and play the devil's advocate here.....

When I returned from 'Nam, I had a lot of problems with PTSD. It wasn't called by that fancy name back then, and most of us who had those problems just kept quiet about it and dealt with it ourselves for fear of being ridiculed or labeled as being just another crazy Viet Nam Vet. One thing for sure: there were times when I was glad that I had made a decision earlier to stay away from guns of any kind. That changed as time passed, just as the overall acceptance of PTSD has. Now it is recognized and the military tries to treat it, or at least get it diagnosed earlier so treatment can be obtained. Treatment is available now better than ever before, but soldiers still have to get over the 'macho' thing and seek help.

Adding to this, keep in mind the number of murders and suicides committed by young men and women who have had a hard time reintegrating into society after their war time experiences. Ft. Bragg has had a number of these instances and is working aggressively to address this issue. I am in no way saying that this happens to everyone, but it is just another ugly side to war. It has always been like that, but modern media exposure has made it more public than ever before.

In the instance that prompted this thread, it seems that the military video was addressing this same problem, although maybe it was poorly done. As usual, it appears that the military mindset seems to be that while the message in the video might only apply to a few, it has to be addressed to everyone. Knowing how the military thinks, that film and the mandatory attendance requirement is just another way for the military to say that they covered their butts. If a soldier has a problem and uses a gun to harm himself or others, his commanders can always look back in his records, see that he attended the briefing and watched the film, then they can sit back smugly and say "we did everything we were supposed to do."

While Aloysius, who started this thread, might have been insulted by the video message, it's quite possible that someone else who watched it might have gotten the message it was intended to give. If it saves one soldier from doing something totally out of normal charector because of PTSD, I'd say it was worth it to have all the returning troops watch it.

Would that kind of a film have made a difference in my way of thinking and dealing with PTSD when I returned from 'Nam ? Guess we'll never know.... because I never got the chance to find out. I dealt with my problems on my own by staying away from guns for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT
    If it saves one soldier from doing something totally out of normal charector because of PTSD, I'd say it was worth it to have all the returning troops watch it.
    Using logic along those lines, we should all give up our firearms. If it saves one person, then it is worth it.

I agree that anyone suffering from PTSD should keep away from firearms but this film did not give the message to stay away from them while you worked things out. It was a clear message that it is never good to carry a loaded weapon unless you are in a combat zone. It is blatent anti-second amendment garbage. It could have been worded a lot different and I would have had no problem with it. It was not just meant to help a soldier work through PTSD. It was meant to plant the seeds of the anti-2A movement. What better way to do it? A soldier comes home from war. He may have fresh and painful memories about what he has seen or had to do with his weapon. That is the time to tell him that handguns are bad. Tell him when he is vulnerable. Pure BS and I give a crap if General Patton himself rose from the dead and tried to tell me that garbage, I would throw it back in his face too. Of course, he would surely be on our side if he was around today.

DaveT, I don't mean to insult you. I appreciate your service. You did the right thing by staying away from guns when you needed too. I am sure that there are returning soldiers that should do the same. I believe that the Army made the film with the intent of helping soldiers. I just think that the film should have been written by someone who did not have alterior motives.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links