Tucked Holsters in Summer

This is a discussion on Tucked Holsters in Summer within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Summer is upon us down here in South Texas ... it hasn't busted the century mark here yet, but we have had over 95 and ...

Thread: Tucked Holsters in Summer

Tucked Holsters in Summer

Summer is upon us down here in South Texas ... it hasn't busted the century mark here yet, but we have had over 95 and it's only April. Anyway, during the cooler season I have no problem carrying a P229 or M&P40 in a IWB Royal Guard, with sports coat, light jacket or maybe even a vest. But, cover garments don't work for me when it's hot.

At work, I pretty much have to have a tucked in shirt... I'm trying it again this summer to carry with one of the IWB hybrid kydex/leather tuckable holsters. But, I just can't get the tuckable part down, it's just not working for me.

Tucking it in is painful, drawing is painful, I have to open my belt 3 holes... Everyone that writes a review raves about how great they are... Are there any tricks to it? What am I doing wrong or not doing right?

2. Remove Ads

I use a CBST with a G19. When tucked, its in the 300-330 position. When not tucked, I bring it closer to 300.

When I do tuck, all the shirt goes in except around the holster, no gun. I then button the pants, place the gun in the holster, fasten belt and tuck around the gun and holster. Loosen the weak side to match the strong side and move on. I have no pain when tucked, so I'm not sure what causing that. Hope you find something that works for you.

I didn't have a whole lot of luck tucking my CBST. Great holster, I usually wear it with an undershirt tucked under the holster and a loose overshirt, but I just didn't get the hang of tucking it and drawing was a pain. I can tuck my shirt better with a single clip tuckable. I use one from High Noon, the uh, Split Decision at about 3:30-4:00 position. Maybe try a different holster?
    Seems to help if your shirt isn't too long. Too much to stuff in there causes problems, but of course it has to be long enough to stay tucked and still roomy enough to not print too badly. I dunno if that's a problem for you or not. I'm small and short, so a shirt that fits "just right" is sometimes hard to come by.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

cmb
    I use a single clip ace case tuckable, they are about ten bucks at cheaperthandirt.com they have held up well for me, I carry every thing from a 380 walther type to a 38 special to a 1911 and like them, other than for the revo I prefer the small ambidextrous one... I always wear a t-shirt tucked in to my underwear (not glamorous but it works to keep the t-shirt in place) then I pu on my polo shirt and bring my pants up to the bottom of my shirt with my belt in the loops, I then holster the gun I am carrying and clip it either just in front or just behind the belt loop at the 3:00 position (this depends on the gunI then inch the pants with the holster and gun clip on hangin so the shirt will get in between and pull it up to my waist and the n tighten the belt to one hole shy of where I wear it and blouse the shirt meaning I pull is out all the way around about an inch or two so that it hangs all the way around and you actually do not see my belt much at all... then I tighten the belt to the next hole and I am good to go... I live in south florida and we too are pushing mid nineties... this works for me, maybe some piece of it will work for you...

What I do with my Galco King Tuck that seems to work well is to set it at the lowest setting so it rides really low on my waist. By doing this the kydex portion actually rides UNDER my belt which helps with the extra girth issue. Kinda hard to explain but when done this way I can easily make a full size pistol disappear. Here are some pics of the holster, hope you can tell what I mean by low ride.

But yes, they are akward to draw and it takes some practice to be "quick".
    Attached Images

I agree they are very good holsters, and comfortable, yes, but the tucking part... I don't mean that it is literally painful, but the extra stuff I got to do to get it just right is what I mean is painful.

I'll try to dressing techniques that you guys use and see if that helps me.

Haven't had much luck with this, either. I was thinking of checking out the smart carry system.
    Anybody can get scared, but you must absolutely not let that affect your behavior. Cowardice kills. -Jeff Cooper

For me, the length of the shirt tail makes a big difference. Some of my shirts are just too long to use with my CBST. A medium tail works best. I pull up my pants, and tuck all but the strong side loosely. Then I put the pistol in the holster and tuck the shirt over it, but just to the bottom of the clips. I try not to stuff too much shirt into the strong side. Then I fasten my pants and belt. Adjust the rest of the shirt to match the strong side. I usually end up pulling a bit out to match. Your shirt should look like you just raised your arms as high as you can, and the tail kinda but not quite pulled out of your pants. When you let your arms down, it will billow over the pistol.

You will not look like the sharp dressed man of ZZ Top fame, but your shirt will be tucked in. Oh...plan on adding about an extra second and a half to your draw if you need it. I found it helpful to grab the shirt with both hands, one in front and one behind the pistol, and yank the shirt as high as you can with both hands before you reach for the pistol. This is why I don't tuck a lot of shirt in over the holster. Some of my shirts are so long, I would have to pull twice to clear the pistol with the shirt tail!!!

Hope this helps.
    If you can't get out of it, you gotta get into it.

My job requires me to be armed as much of the time as possible. No, I am not an operator or LEO of any kind. I am a husband and father.

When I tuck my CBST I put the holster on before I button my pants. Then I button pants and tighten belt before putting the gun in. Put the gun in. Tuck the shirt everywhere but the holster. I finish tucking over the holster by either pulling the tail down from the ends of the holster, or taking one finger and pushing the shirt in. Then blouse it out a bit on both sides.

The draw is a bit slower I guess. But if you get a good hold on the shirt with your weak hand, then rip the shirt up towards your armpit. And simultaneously get a good grip on the gun, you can get a pretty quick draw out of it. You might want to practice with a beater shirt a few times. But I typically do a full speed draw when I am about to take the CBST off. You have to be VERY careful! If you're not confident in your abilities then just unload and practice. A one handed draw would be considerably more difficult. Guess I need to get on that one too.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Practice, practice, practice.

I have my time down to a consistent 1.8 seconds from start to accurate fire when tucked. Baby Eagle full size .40, DA/SA, safety on.

My dressing is pretty much the same. Pants, shirt tucked in all but strong side, holster @ 3:30, wallet, belt (unbuckled...you do have a good gun belt right?) then I holster the weapon & tuck in the shirt around the holster as deep as I can. Buckle belt, reach for the sky, double check to make sure I am still tucked, clip on spare mag, and on with my day.

Drawing is grabbing all the shirt that I can with my weak hand just above the belt covering the weapon, then jerking it up to my armpit, while my strong hand is gripping the weapon and extraction begins.

Practice, practice, practice.

I do want you to clarify...

Physical pain? - If so, where?

Annoyance pain? - Welcome to tucked IWB carrying. You'll get used to it.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

VIP Member
    Good luck. Even after buying the best belts and holsters, I've all but given up on tucking.

It's a catch-22 for me. If the gun is small enough to tuck without showing a giant bulge, then it's small enough to fit in my pocket. Part of my problem is that I've been in the habit of a military-tuck since bootcamp. I feel like a clown with my shirt bloused. In the summer, if my shirt is tucked, I'm likely pocket-carrying. Otherwise my preferred method is IWB with the shirt out.

Only on the rarest of occasions will I actually suffer through the tuck. Ironically, I think I will likely tuck today. It'll be warm and I'll be touring an abandoned facility (high risk) with folks that I don't know very well.

If I am tucking I am using my High Noon Split Decision.
    I have one for my Glock27 and one for my snubbie.
    The Glock will print just a little bit. I find that moving the Glock back more towards 4:30 position makes the slide print a little less, but will increase the grip printing if I bend forward.
    The snubbie just plain disappears at 3:30- 4:00 position.
    I find that the best way to dress is to put your pants on, button then but leave the belt loose. Clip the holster onto the belt without the belt. I then fastner the belt, but a few holes looser than I wear it. Insert the gun. I then find that I need to pull the front of the shirt around to the weak side a little as it tends to twist to the right when I tuck it. I pull the shirt to my weak side about 1-1/2 inches, and start tucking at the weak side. I do the side, then the front and back, I then loosen the belt a little, hold on the waistline on the weakside and tuck the shirt down right in the middle of the holster. Then I tuck in front and behind the holster. Tighten the belt one hole less than final, raise arms straight over head to pull a little of the shirt out, lower arms and then tighten the belt.
    I am 5-7 and 240 lbs so I have pretty good love handles. The Glock prints no matter what I do, but the snubbie not at all. I used to have to really tighten the belt to keep from having to constantly lift the pants to prevent plumbers crack, but I started wearing perry suspenders under my cover shirt and now theres no equipment adjustment and I can wear the belt 2 or three holes looser. I wear a tee shirt under the suspenders and cover shirt. I havn't decided yet if I will keep the tee come summer but here in Michigan thats still 3 months away.

Remember no one pays attention to the printing, and if your legal and printing isn't a crime don't sweat it too much.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Pocket pistol....

It's a rare day that I tuck in a shirt. Never liked to, only do so when required (military uniform, and now at work). Job now (DOT weight inspector) doesn't allow firearms whiel working, so that settles the "at work" issue. It's too hot/humid here in S. FL to wear an undershirt (for me) so I generally wear a T or loose, patterned Hawaiian-style shirt. Hoping the OC bill passes si I can convert to "discreet" OC.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

The only tuckable with which I've had good luck has been from K&D Holsters, but in examining their website today, it does not look like they still list the holster I have. I sometimes carry it tucked under a relatively loose shirt in hot weather. I've tried a few different designs of tuckables, including some much more expensive, and this is the only one that works for me. It might or might not work for you. By way of advice, regardless of the holster that works best for a given individual, I'd say the following, regarding carrying "successfully tucked:" You'll need a fairly loose shirt; tapered, tailored shirttails defeat the concealability of tucked carry. White and very light colored shirts don't work. Dark colors are better, dark colored, patterned shirts even better; plaids are especially good. There is a size limit on the gun, based on the size and body configuration of the individual. I'm 5'7", weigh about 160, and have a relatively small waist. The biggest gun I can successfully carry with reasonable comfort is a 3" 1911-type. I still prefer to wear a covering garment with a tucked shirt or t-shirt, or just an untucked shirt, both for ease of access and comfort, but tuckable is possible, with the right combination and a little experimentation.

Links