Practice time before strapping on your hip? - Page 2

Practice time before strapping on your hip?

This is a discussion on Practice time before strapping on your hip? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well right now I am in the position of still trying to find the perfect carry system for my bodyguard .380. For right now I ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Practice time before strapping on your hip?

Well right now I am in the position of still trying to find the perfect carry system for my bodyguard .380.

For right now I carry it in a Remora pocket holster. I cant carry at work but those are the breaks. When I am home, its in my pocket. I am getting a recluse front pocket holster as well, I want to try that out. I also have a concealment shirt which is great if cold, unusable in heat. I feel much more comfortable with front pocket carry.

As far as rounds go, I have put 250 rounds through without a single malfunction. I feel comfortable with that. It was dirty ammo, carry ammo, mixed bag old stuff, and it didnt blink. Murphys law can happen and thats what malfunction drills and the extra mags in my always on me bag are for.

Quote Originally Posted by brobar View Post
    If you don't mind me asking... where did you find that bluegun? I've been looking for one that mirrors my 642 but the only ones I could find have the skinny grip on it. I've got the CT laser grips on mine but your bluegun looks so much closer to my CT grips than the skinny grip version I normally see.
    Blackhawk. Except for weight it is exactly the same as my 642. I practice drawing and flashlight drills with it daily.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

Quote Originally Posted by sheepdog22 View Post
    So long story short I will be getting my CCW verrry soon. I current carry around my FNP9 around the house that has a ton of rounds down range but I am going to pick up my new CW9 tomorrow. I know the Kahrs need a pretty decent break-in period before they are good to go.

My questions is what kind of rigorous torture....testing do you put your new carry piece through? I plan on putting 3-400 rounds through in the first week or so. I also need to order a new kydek sleeve for my MTAC for the Kahr so I wont be able to carry it immediately. Do you have any drills or criteria you make it meet before you make it your primary?

Just looking for some advice on how to get my new piece ready!
    Find a good 8 to 16 hour class with a 500 round or greater ammo requirement.

That will get the gun...and more importantly, YOU, into fighing trim. You will quickly determine what works and what does not when you are training hard.

If you find yourself saying "My gun's NEVER done that before!" then you've been training hard enough to get proper usage out of your weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by wjh2657 View Post
    Blackhawk. Except for weight it is exactly the same as my 642. I practice drawing and flashlight drills with it daily.
    Thanks a ton for the response. I went straight to the site and ordered one. I was hoping to get the orange but all they had available was the gray so that will have to do for now. It is a shame they don't make an XD demo. Looks like I'll have to get a Rings Blue for that one.

Thanks again!

after i bought my cw9 gave it a thorough cleaning and lube before heading to the range,did the 200 round break-in my first range trip.i now have approximately 500 flawless rounds through it,300-400 rounds should give you a pretty good feel for the gun/trigger and its relibility..congrats and enjoy

Before I carry a new gun I put at least a hundred rounds of the ammo I intend to carry through it using multiple magazines, and a few hundred practice rounds of ball. I drop all the carry ammo into the chamber to make sure it fits. I do a complete detail strip of the gun when I clean it and if its a used gun I will replace springs or parts. I usually do some kind of custom work, maybe a trigger job, maybe polish a feedramp or something. I order holsters from Fist, Brommeland, THS, or a local maker that I keep secret. Also get a matching magazine pouch. I like to have bumper pads on my spare magazines so I install those, and I have been known to make them from
    brass or wood or plastic for odd guns. I tend to
    carry a new gun a lot the first few weeks to break in the holster
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    Find a good 8 to 16 hour class with a 500 round or greater ammo requirement.

That will get the gun...and more importantly, YOU, into fighing trim. You will quickly determine what works and what does not when you are training hard.
    I completely agree with this. I really want to get to one but I am pretty broke after buying the new CW9 and goodies! Also paid for my CWL too. Maybe in a few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    Before I carry a new gun I put at least a hundred rounds of the ammo I intend to carry through it using multiple magazines, and a few hundred practice rounds of ball. I drop all the carry ammo into the chamber to make sure it fits. I do a complete detail strip of the gun when I clean it and if its a used gun I will replace springs or parts. I usually do some kind of custom work, maybe a trigger job, maybe polish a feedramp or something. I order holsters from Fist, Brommeland, THS, or a local maker that I keep secret. Also get a matching magazine pouch. I like to have bumper pads on my spare magazines so I install those, and I have been known to make them from
    brass or wood or plastic for odd guns. I tend to
    carry a new gun a lot the first few weeks to break in the holster
    Come on! Share the wealth with a fellow Floridan!

Quote Originally Posted by sheepdog22 View Post
    So long story short I will be getting my CCW verrry soon. I current carry around my FNP9 around the house that has a ton of rounds down range but I am going to pick up my new CW9 tomorrow. I know the Kahrs need a pretty decent break-in period before they are good to go.

My questions is what kind of rigorous torture....testing do you put your new carry piece through? I plan on putting 3-400 rounds through in the first week or so. I also need to order a new kydek sleeve for my MTAC for the Kahr so I wont be able to carry it immediately. Do you have any drills or criteria you make it meet before you make it your primary?

Just looking for some advice on how to get my new piece ready!
    I think a couple of hundred rounds should tell you if there are immediate issues with the gun. As long as you feel ready yourself to ccw - I would then carry it while shooting it at the range frequently to "break it in fully" and spot any further weird issues - and also for you to build up experience with the gun. 300 to 400 is fine too if you feel more comfortable.

I think you are thinking about CCW the right way : preparing. I had no experience with a gun before I CCWd. So I shot for two months frequently with my carry-gun before I ever went out with it on for CCW. Slow and ready is better than treating the whole thing like a game with a new toy.

Quote Originally Posted by hamlet View Post
    I think a couple of hundred rounds should tell you if there are immediate issues with the gun. As long as you feel ready yourself to ccw - I would then carry it while shooting it at the range frequently to "break it in fully" and spot any further weird issues - and also for you to build up experience with the gun. 300 to 400 is fine too if you feel more comfortable.

I think you are thinking about CCW the right way : preparing. I had no experience with a gun before I CCWd. So I shot for two months frequently with my carry-gun before I ever went out with it on for CCW. Slow and ready is better than treating the whole thing like a game with a new toy.
    Thanks. Ive thought looooong and hard about CCW and take it pretty seriously. Im excited to get started but also just a little nervous.

I still have not carried my new CW9 except around the house because I have not been able to get to the range with it and put a couple hundred rounds through it to verify reliability. But my routine with any new carry gun is pretty much the same. Strip it down, inspect it, clean it and lube it. Take it to the range and run 100-200 rounds of FMJ though it. Run at least 4 or 5 mags of carry ammo through it (though if I actually transition to the new Federal Guard-Dog ammo which is a renamed version of the expanding full metal jacket ammo that might not be as necessary) to check the reliability of the carry ammo with the gun. then after another strip down and clean/inspection, I say it's pretty much good to go.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Byrds Leather at the Daytona Flea Market. They will make custom holsters while you wait for a great price and can turn your idea into a holster and fit you for a matching belt too. They also carry holster purses that I am told are fashionable.

And they are nice people.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

I may be a nerd, but when I get a new (or just new to me) gun the first thing I do is read the manual from front to back. Then, I break down the gun and inspect it and clean it thoroughly. I think it is important to understand how the gun is supposed to work and see that everything looks and feels right and appears to not have any obvious flaws, snags, breaks, etc.

If I buy something, I typically do a lot of research first to know what to expect in terms of break-in, etc. If there is nothing noted anywhere in terms of break-in period, my standard thought is 200 rounds of FMJ down range and several mags of carry ammo. If all goes well with no issues, then I break it down, clean, inspect, etc. and feel comfortable carrying. If there were issues, I would have to adjust the number as I felt necessary based ont he nature of the issue.

When I bought my Taurus PT709 (not long after they came out), I had read online that there were some issues experienced (mainly with broken extractors). I put 800 rounds through it with no issues and felt confident carrying it. I now have over 1500 rounds through it and it has been perfect. I also read in the manual to clean it every 200 rounds and to never manually place a round in the chamber and release the slide. It has a fixed extractor (not spring loaded) and the rounds have to be fed from the bottom. Perhaps understanding the weapon and reading the manual and knowing what to do and what to expect is why mine has been flawless in over 1500 rounds and others haven't. Who knows.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Going to the range and just shooting that sucker is a great way to 'figure out' your firearm.
    If you want to progress, I would suggest getting into a multi-day defensive firearms class...there are a lot to choose from in Florida.
    This will allow you to give your firearm that 'test' and grow in your defensive firearm skills.
    Yup, I'll have to agree with spending some good money on training. Consider it an investment.

VIP Member
    I wrote this last year and it may help in your situation.

Do you practice or do you train?

While it is important that you be confident in the reliability of your weapons system nothing replaces training.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links