Practice time before strapping on your hip? - Page 3

Practice time before strapping on your hip?

This is a discussion on Practice time before strapping on your hip? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by SIGguy229 Yep!! I second this!...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Practice time before strapping on your hip?

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Yep!! I second this!

If you are a Nerd there are two of us. I carried a 1911 almost daily in the USMC for 30 years of active duty. I have carried semiautos and revolvers with a civilian permit for over 20 years.

I still don't carry a revolver (yes, a revolver) until it has at least 200 rounds of range fire. I have never had a S&W fail this test, but I have had other brands of revolvers that did fail on the range. Even with weapons that have passed the test (sometimes many times over) I still keep a very close eye on them. They are LTId (function check) before and after every range session. This includes checking all screws and cylinder gap. Every fourth or fifth range session, I pop the side plate, clean and inspect.

I do a "dry clean" (open and brush out crane and cylinder area and run bore mop through barrel and cylinder)every two or three days on my carry gun. I pocket carry, with a quality leather pocket holster, but the gun still does collect some dust and lint.

I was an armorer for part of my military career and became "anal" about keeping weapons in an up status. I saw too many fail. I have bought several books and the CGI Gunsmith tapes on all of my long guns and handguns.

Handguns (and long guns) are machines and like all machines need routine maintenance and periodic hard use to ensure reliability.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links