EDC Carry and Maint.

This is a discussion on EDC Carry and Maint. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey Guys!!! So I have an issue with my EDC. I carry an FNP9 in a Crossbreed Supertuck (awesomely comfy holster btw!) @ 3:00 on ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EDC Carry and Maint.

EDC Carry and Maint.

Hey Guys!!!

So I have an issue with my EDC. I carry an FNP9 in a Crossbreed Supertuck (awesomely comfy holster btw!) @ 3:00 on my hip concealed. Now I have been reading on the forums about how often people clean their EDCs and it ranges from every week to only when I go to the range..etc.

My gun gets pretty dusty pretty quick. I notice it and wipe it whenever I see it but I would say I go about 2-3 days before wiping down my EDC. I notice that in the trigger guard and on the lower part of the hammer are dusty as well. Even the inside of my barrel gets dusty. Granted i wear my sidearm EVERYWHERE unless prohibited by law, out drinking, or at home. (I live in a secured building and always have a gun close though)

I do also wipe my holster down, inside and out periodically.

I guess my question is this: Does anyone else have this problem? Perhaps I notice b/c I carry more than the average joe? Is it my holster? Is it b/c I live in Seattle and have to wear heavier clothing all the time do you think? I guess I am wondering if I am having to clean my weapon more than usual. I don't mind it as it insures a clean and functioning weapon but sometimes I wonder...

***EDIT*** Cause I know people will ask, I work in an advertising/motion graphic design studio. Not a typically dirty environment. I go from edit sessions/meetings/audio houses/shoots etc. Nothing more than just normal travel. Not on a dusty construction site or anything.
    Last edited by Savage206; April 25th, 2011 at 10:27 PM. Reason: content
    EDC: FN FNP-9 w/ three 16 rnd magazines. Mini Maglite.

" The unarmed man is not just defenseless, he is also contemptible." ~ Machiavelli.

2. Remove Ads

The .38 snub that gets carried often (in a pocket holster) gets dusty. I just use a can of compressed air to blow the trigger and hammer slots clean periodically.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

hey that's not a bad idea!!!! I have compressed air all over the place at work!
    EDC: FN FNP-9 w/ three 16 rnd magazines. Mini Maglite.

" The unarmed man is not just defenseless, he is also contemptible." ~ Machiavelli.

sgb
    I hit my EDC once a week with a 2" paintbrush I keep specifically for the purpose
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

I clean them when they get a lot of lint or as you say dust. Heavier clothing deposits more lint. Most of the time I can get ride of most of the lint with a toothbrush. Every couple of months I will strip them down for clean and relube. They are 1911's and a fair amount of lint won't stop them from firing.
    Semper Fi

I live in the desert of northern AZ. As such, I suffer from very dry skin. My pistol looks like it has severe dandruff at the end of the day. I carry a 5" 1911 in either a CBST, or a VM2. The worst parts are around the firing pin stop and hammer. A spritz of canned air, and it is good as new.
    If you can't get out of it, you gotta get into it.

My job requires me to be armed as much of the time as possible. No, I am not an operator or LEO of any kind. I am a husband and father.

I carry a gun designed to work in the desert, so I am not too concerned with it. I get dust and lint buildup pretty regularly, and the occasional dirt/sand - ergo loss of finish on the frame.

I have more issues with grit getting into my spare mag and binding it up.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Another fellow FNP9 carrier! I carry mine in a Comp-Tac MTAC. I like to break it give it a quick "look-over" every weekend just to make sure everything is up to snuff. I trust my FNP 120% to function even with some lint or dust, but I like to have gun time so opening her up and looking around is fun for me :) I also switch out my magazine about every month so the magazine springs don't become flat. Just an idea!

Senior Moderator
    My gun gets linty but it doesn't bother me. I really don't do a lot of extra stuff to get it off. It's just lint. If in the barrel it will get pushed aside or burned up when fired and it won't interfere with the shooting mechanisms in such a minimal amount so it's not a big deal. Obviously if it was CAKED that would be a different story.

How much do you oil your gun? Oil attracts dust and lint so if you put too much oil on it that could explain the excess.

I get lint and dust build up as well, depends on the holster position and gun it seems how much you will get. For instance pocket carry seems to be one of the most prone to dust/lint buildup, my P3AT that is my constant pocket/BUG I blow out with compressed air every few days but I've got a pneumatic sewing machine so my airline is right at my workbench I don't even have to get up;) My normal IWB rigs I'd say I clean those guns every week or two depending on how they are.

I will note open carrying something with an exposed hammer in a dirty environment can be a bit of a snag, last year I did a days worth of firewood cutting and splitting while open carrying my 1911. I didn't think about it but that afternoon we went to do a little shooting and I hadn't even looked down at my 1911 during the day since it's always there. The difference was that I had picked up enough wood dust/dirt to actually jam the slide on the first round. Now I'm willing to admit that I should have cleaned it before shooting etc, but I was tired and we were just going out to drop a mag or two on our property and it just didn't cross my mind. However it was a good lesson about making sure that if you are working with the gun exposed that you keep an eye out for dirt/dust buildup even more than when it's concealed. Same thing goes for when I'm working on holsters, I open carry allot around here working and I have to keep a close eye on what's getting on/in the gun on my hip;)

Take care!

Luke
    I am the owner/proprietor of www.adamsholsters.com Custom holsters made for you. To contact me please use E-mail rather than Private Messages, luke@adamsholsters.com

I pocket carry a S&W 642 daily. My "farmed out" job when I was in the USMC was as an armorer. I built up the habit of checking my pistol (revolver in this case) in the morning every day. I have a Winchester self contained cleaning kit that I carry on the road and use my regular kit at home. I run a clean patch through all of the cylinder holes and barrel. I check all screws and ejector rod for tightness, I brush out the crane, cylinder face and inside frame with a electric shaver brush. Then I give a quick function check (Firing pin, cylinder lockup + rotation and trigger return. During this chore I give the whole piece a visual once over for corrosion and cracks.

I reload the cylinder and put it into its holster for the rest of the day.

I started this drill after my second failure to function with a 1911 (a gun I much admire, but it is not holy) in actual combat in Viet Nam. A check like this would have prevented the problem. I started doing this check with my 1911 everyday I carried it.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

I have this item for my computer, and use it to blow dust and lint from my daily carry as well. It provides a stronger burst than canned air, and you don't need to keep buying any more cans. Anyway, for ya'll consideration.

DataVac® Electric Duster® 500 | Metropolitan Vacuum Cleaner
    ...the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    The .38 snub that gets carried often (in a pocket holster) gets dusty. I just use a can of compressed air to blow the trigger and hammer slots clean periodically.
    Exactly what I do. I usually don't break down and clean my EDC unless I've gone camping and it gets dirty/muddy or wet or I went to the range. But then again I usually carry a revolver so just some compressed air and it's good to go if it hasn't been shot.
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

I mostly Pocket carry and like others use (computer oriented) compressed air for quick lint clearing. I also keep Remington wipes around for a quick wipe down, but rarely need the wipes.

A little dust shouldn't be an issue. If it is, you need a new gun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links