Atlantic Intercoastal Waterway?

This is a discussion on Atlantic Intercoastal Waterway? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I saw a television show on the History Channel yesterday about this waterway. I assume that state laws apply to those sections of the waterway ...

Thread: Atlantic Intercoastal Waterway?

VIP Member

Atlantic Intercoastal Waterway?

I saw a television show on the History Channel yesterday about this waterway. I assume that state laws apply to those sections of the waterway going through a particular state, but do not know for certain if this is the case. Can someone confirm this for me?

I continue to hope that I can find a legal way to get to Vermont and New Hampshire with CCW from Tennessee without flying!

2. Remove Ads

I saw the same program and found it very interesting. I had heard of the AIW, but didnt realize what it was..

b

Icw

You are correct in that the laws of state within whose boundaries the ICW passes govern the possession and carrying of firearms and other weapons. Suggest you print out the relevant laws/regulations and carry them on-board for reference. Also be sure you are familiar with the state boundaries in the the ICW.

Senior Moderator
    Actually,most navigable waters come under the juristiction of the Army Corp of Engineers. Those that dont fall under juristiction of the US Coast Guard which is now a part of Homeland Security.Any other water that is landlocked will more than likely come under the Sheriff Dept of the county that it is in.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I've pushed a boat through most of it from the Chesapeke to the Keys for many years. Yes, you will fall under the laws of whatever state the waters are in. I always had a loaded weapon on board and occasionally took some flak from Customs/DEA/Coast Guard boarding teams for it but nothing too bad. State officials can only board a federally documented vessel if they see a crime being commited and never saw it and never asked. Three miles out and you're in federal waters and state laws don't matter. Unfortunately the states have managed to force their way into maritime law and these days it can be confusing but a boat is often looked upon as being about on par with a car, despite the fact it was my home.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    If you are refering to using the ICW for travel to those states,no can do. It starts/ends in Norfolk Va. at the mouth of the Chesapeak.

VIP Member
    Thanks to all for the information!

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Not to hijack this thread but it sort of pertains to the topic........

The Miller Ferry in Northern Ohio which operates in Lake Erie had a no concealed weapons sign and a bunch of what looked like Federal maritime (sp) laws posted. I noticed this on my last trip up. Can anyone from Ohio tell me if it is illegal to carry on these ferrys over to the islands?
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Quote Originally Posted by RSSZ
    If you are refering to using the ICW for travel to those states,no can do. It starts/ends in Norfolk Va. at the mouth of the Chesapeak.
    Well, it can be done using the ICW as part of the route. First you would get on the TenTom waterway and head south to the Gulf in Mobile. Then take the inside waterway (really an extension of the ICW system) east to Appalachicola FL. Overnight run across the Gulf to the Tampa area. Then depending on draft inside or outside to the either the Oceechobee waterway to Stuart or around through the Keys at Marathon. Then back into the ICW to Norfolk. Up the Ches. to the C&D canal then outside to NY. Enter the Hudson River Canal and come out in Lake Champlain and you're in VT. For NH you'd just stay outside after NY or get really adventerous and continue north on Lake Champlain to CA (No guns here you know) and the St. Lawrence Seaway east to the Atlantic. Visit Nova Scotia and ME and then You'd be in NH. Be one nice trip in the right boat!
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Links