Concealed Handgun License Protection Plan(www.chlpp.com)

This is a discussion on Concealed Handgun License Protection Plan(www.chlpp.com) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am a member of this Plan in case I have to use my weapon in self defense. It states that it pays all legal ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Concealed Handgun License Protection Plan(www.chlpp.com)

Concealed Handgun License Protection Plan(www.chlpp.com)

I am a member of this Plan in case I have to use my weapon in self defense. It states that it pays all legal fees up to Grand Jury. It is time for my renewal and I am wondering is it worth the $129 per year to have an emergency number in my wallet where I can contact an attorney 24/7 365 just in case of a SHTF situation. Are there any other members out there or have had the unfortunate luck of having to use this plan in a self defense situation and if so did they fulfill there obligations.

2. Remove Ads

I would look more to the Armed Citizen's Legal Defense Network, if you wanted something like that. $85 a year and covers all costs involved, I believe.

VIP Member
    I believe these organizations up front the money, {up to $10,000} ACLDN to a lawyer for kicking off your defense, IF they deem it was a justifable shoot.

You, I believe still have to pay it back. ??
    Correct me if I am wrong.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    I believe these organizations up front the money, {up to $10,000} ACLDN to a lawyer for kicking off your defense, IF they deem it was a justifable shoot.

You, I believe still have to pay it back. ??
    Correct me if I am wrong.
    With the Armed Citizen's Legal Defense Network, you don't have to pay it back. It's specifically designed to help it's members with ALL legal fees resulting from a legitimate SD shooting. I believe they will immediately retain an attorney with $10,000 and then pay the remaining fees as they're incurred.

who defines legitimate?????

Quote Originally Posted by paullie View Post
    who defines legitimate?????
    From the ACLDN website: "distribution of monetary grants to help with legal fees is at the discretion of the Network’s Advisory Board, comprised of Massad Ayoob, John Farnam, Jim Fleming, Tom Givens, Dennis Tueller and Network officers Marty Hayes and Vincent Shuck"
    In the heat of the moment, what matters is what your body knows -- not what your mind knows.

I wouldn't imagine you'd have to pay it back. If you did, it would seem kind of pointless, IMO. This just seems like a special type of insurance. You don't haev to pay back insurance in a normal case.

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey2011 View Post
    With the Armed Citizen's Legal Defense Network, you don't have to pay it back. It's specifically designed to help it's members with ALL legal fees resulting from a legitimate SD shooting. I believe they will immediately retain an attorney with $10,000 and then pay the remaining fees as they're incurred.
    Thanks for posting, I'm going to check into this!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Like any type of insurance, only you can determine if it's worth your payment. It must be based on the likelihood of needing the service. Since a SD shooting is such a remote possibility for me based on my lifestyle and demographics, I'm not going to pay someone for that - I'll self-insure. I have $10K in the bank I'll drop if need be to a lawyer I choose - the best one in the state/country. I don't want someone else's choice. I want the best lawyer I can get.

What if you have a SD shooting ten years from now? Will this outfit still be in business? I think that consideration is at least as important as the likelihood of a SD shooting.

There are so many factors, that I think one's absolute best insurance is knowing the laws of lethal self defense (for your state/location) cold. If it's a legal shoot, and you are the victim fearing imminent death or grave bodily harm, you'll be a lot better off than having some quirky insurance policy from a fly-by-night internet outfit.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    Like any type of insurance, only you can determine if it's worth your payment. It must be based on the likelihood of needing the service. Since a SD shooting is such a remote possibility for me based on my lifestyle and demographics, I'm not going to pay someone for that - I'll self-insure. I have $10K in the bank I'll drop if need be to a lawyer I choose - the best one in the state/country. I don't want someone else's choice. I want the best lawyer I can get.

What if you have a SD shooting ten years from now? Will this outfit still be in business? I think that consideration is at least as important as the likelihood of a SD shooting.

There are so many factors, that I think one's absolute best insurance is knowing the laws of lethal self defense (for your state/location) cold. If it's a legal shoot, and you are the victim fearing imminent death or grave bodily harm, you'll be a lot better off than having some quirky insurance policy from a fly-by-night internet outfit.
    Don't hold me to this, but I believe most SD shootings that are prosecuted wind up costing over $100,000. I don't have $10,000, let a lone $100,000. But I do have $85, and even though I haven't done it yet, I do plan to become a member of ACLDN.

I hear ya Spidey2011, I dont have $10,000 either but $85 is not a bad deal if they will do what they say.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigpoppa48 View Post
    I am a member of this Plan in case I have to use my weapon in self defense. It states that it pays all legal fees up to Grand Jury.
    Maybe I'm wrong, but "up to grand jury" would not cover your actual trial. Grand jury determines whether you should be tried in a criminal case, IIRC. Most likely you will be sued in a civil court by the survivor's family... does the insurance cover that ?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by merlin82plus View Post
    Maybe I'm wrong, but "up to grand jury" would not cover your actual trial. Grand jury determines whether you should be tried in a criminal case, IIRC. Most likely you will be sued in a civil court by the survivor's family... does the insurance cover that ?

For that you most likely need to check your state law.

In michigan, if you are NO-BILLED you are immune from civil lawsuits.
    See below;

circumstances not addressed in the Act, the common law of self-defense still applies with one exception: There is no longer a duty to retreat when a person is “in his or her own dwelling or within the curtilage of that dwelling.” This exception applies even in cases where the rest of the Act doesn’t apply (PA 313).
    Civil Liability
    A person who uses force in accordance with the Act is immune from civil liability for damages caused by the use of such force (PA 314). Additionally, courts must award attorney fees and costs to an individual who has been sued for using force and the court finds that the force was in accordance with the Act (PA 312).

Criminal Liability
    Under the Act (PA 310), no crime has been committed when a person uses force as authorized. If a prosecutor believes that the force is not justified, he or she must provide evidence that the force used was not in accordance with the Act. Such evidence must be presented at the time of warrant issuance, preliminary examination, and trial.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by poppy37 View Post
    I hear ya Spidey2011, I dont have $10,000 either but $85 is not a bad deal if they will do what they say.
    ACLDN was started by Marty Hayes, and they've proven plenty of times that they will go out of their way to help members, and I can think of one case where Marty Hayes and Massad Ayoob personally testified at a non-members trial. Obviously they couldn't use the network's money to help someone that wasn't a member, but they did take up a collection, and I believe that covered most of his legal fees.

Quote Originally Posted by merlin82plus View Post
    ACLDN covers ALL criminal fees. I'm not sure if it covers civil suits or not, but it wouldn't surprise me if they did.

Administrator
    Better yet, I've got 10,085. I'll spend the 85 and hope it coversme. If not, I still have my own cash reserve to hire extra help if its needed. The more the merrier when it comes to your defense.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links