Concealed carry options - Page 2

Concealed carry options

This is a discussion on Concealed carry options within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a N82 Tactical Holster (IWB) for my Windicator, and I love it. I use a shoulder rig for my 24/7 Pro .45. (Haven't ...

View Poll Results: Carry option for me?

Voters
142. You may not vote on this poll
  • Just go with IWB its concealed and trusted get used to it.

91 64.08%
  • OWB works best just wear bigger clothes.

23 16.20%
  • Smartcarry! / Thunderwear!

1 0.70%
  • Go with a smaller auto to conceal easier.

8 5.63%
  • LCP! or other lightweight revolver in the pocket!

18 12.68%
  • Concealed Carry pants/shorts if they dont exist make 'em!!!

1 0.70%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Concealed carry options

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    I have a N82 Tactical Holster (IWB) for my Windicator, and I love it. I use a shoulder rig for my 24/7 Pro .45. (Haven't found any other good concealed holsters for it yet)
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Thanks for all the great input and advice everyone!!

The secret to successful IWB carry is to buy a size larger clothes. If your pants/shorts are size 36, buy size 38 to accommodate your handgun/holster. I have been doing this for 40 years - No Problem.

Invest in quality belt and IWB holster and you can carry even a large heavy handgun IWB with shorts and a t-shirt and no one can tell. The right equipment makes it both easy and comfortable. For all of the reasons we carry, it is well worth the investment in good equipment to make it easy for us to do so.

PS. I also find buying pants and shorts with the expandable waistband makes it super easy to carry IWB. Different clothes companies have various names for it, but it is basically a slot on each side at 3:00 position with an overlapping area and a swath of material (stretchy or not) that can give up to an inch or so on each side.
    Last edited by BugDude; May 1st, 2011 at 05:25 PM. Reason: added expandable waist pants comment
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

The majority of my carry time has been OWB...I have a number of different brands, but really settled on a nice belt slide style from Lobo Gun Leather...

So recently, I went back to Lobo and got a very nice IWB, and I love it...

I picked up two pair of Levis and some summer shorts one waist size bigger than I normally carry for IWB...and I am very surprise with the comfort level and the serious lack of printing...

If I carry OWB, I have a collection of shirts in a size that really keeps things concealed...
    VCDL Member
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Theodore Roosevelt

I've got three Galco OWB's for the various guns and a Galco Hidden Agenda that nicely conceals a Walther PPK/S and two extra magazines. I also have a concealment T-shirt and a belly band. Depending on the occasion, I can usually find something comfortable to wear.

If you're going to carry concealed, you have to be prepared to dress around the gun. This is a lifestyle change. A few recommendations that are probably going to summarize advice already given:

-Get a belt designed to carry the weight of a gun. A cheap, flimsy belt lets the gun sag and pivot
    -Get a quality IWB and OWB holster
    -To insure that you can carry the gun IWB comfortably, purchase your pants/jeans/trousers 2" oversize
    -Form fitting or close fitting shirts are out. You need enough excess material to "blouse" and minimize printing
    -Change the way you move. If something is on the top shelf at the store, reach for it with your off-side hand. Bottom shelf, kneel, don't bend over. This will reduce the possibility of printing or uncovering your weapon.

As I said, carrying a weapon is a change in lifestyle, the biggest change being the presence of the weapon itself. In addition to clothing and equipment, it neccessitates a different mindset than the general public has. A mindset of greater tolerance of the little things that people do.

I agree with the above advice. I have several holsters for my main carry gun. OWB, IWB, tuck able and smart carry... Preferred use, in that order.

VIP Member
    I voted for a smaller firearm, AND to carry IWB.
    I am 180-185 lb, 5-9, 1/2 tall.
    I carry a S&W M&P 9c.
    You sound like a big guy.
    Even if you dropped some poundage, you probably would have a hard time with a very small 380'ish sized pistol.
    I use a Desantis cozy partner holster, IWB. just wear some baggy shirts and you will conceal fine.
    I am even able to tuck the shirt n around the holstered pistol, without it looking too odd.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

I am the same boat also (except I am 5'8 180). I wanted something for my G19 and G26. It was a tossup between the Supertuck and the Comp Tac Mtac. I went with the MTac (Minotaur IWB), it came yesterday and it has been on be for 8.5 hours today around my house and property. Based on other reviews and my experience, this holster is awesome. I am going to also get the standard clips to go along with the c clips I selected. Love the flexibility.

VIP Member
    I know I’ve tried every conceivable carry option imaginable, but I always come back to the more practical IWB. Notwithstanding, I enjoy a shoulder rig the best!
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    To start with, I live in FL where a concealed firearm needs only be concealed from "ordinary view." That means covered, as in can't physically see the firearm. No one gives a squat about printing--it's not "illegal" here. Any BG who suspects I have a firearm should probably think twice before proverbially targeting me. I'm just shy of sixty, have done more than my time in the serivice, put two wonderful kids through college, have hugged a great pair of grandkids, and if some dumb POS thinks I'm going to go down easy--bring it on! I've accomplished all of my goals except one; to die a happy man. So don't think I'm afraid to go out fighting.

Back to the thread on hand. I find IWBs marginally comfortable. OWBs are much easier to wear, almost as easy to "conceal", easier to draw from, and frankly, I don't give a rat's butt if some noisy old bitty "suspects" I have a firearm--I have a CWFL, you old coot! You should have one too!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

5'9", 185 lbs. I wear shorts, except to church. Shoulder rigs didn't seem to work for me. Belt holster make my shorts fall down, literally. My TCP, I pocket carry. Any bigger gun is in a pocket pal. I know you guys pan it, but it works for me and doesn't "poof" out like a "smart carry" style.

Thanks again everyone Ive looked around some more and Ill most likely start by getting an IWB, maybe a supertuck or another Ive seen reccomended here Ive seen a couple that look like they will really work for me so thanks again for that. Once I can get some money saved up Ill most likely be getting a ruger LCR for the days I wear my tripp style pants and throw it right in a oversized pocket....heck if the grip was about 3/4" shorter I could throw my taurus 24/7 .40 in my tripp pants no problem lol.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links