Concealed carry options

Concealed carry options

This is a discussion on Concealed carry options within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ok I dont feel like typing it all over again so Ill just paste my intro post from a diff site......because Im lazy lol. Hello ...

View Poll Results: Carry option for me?

Voters
142. You may not vote on this poll
  • Just go with IWB its concealed and trusted get used to it.

91 64.08%
  • OWB works best just wear bigger clothes.

23 16.20%
  • Smartcarry! / Thunderwear!

1 0.70%
  • Go with a smaller auto to conceal easier.

8 5.63%
  • LCP! or other lightweight revolver in the pocket!

18 12.68%
  • Concealed Carry pants/shorts if they dont exist make 'em!!!

1 0.70%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Concealed carry options

Concealed carry options

ok I dont feel like typing it all over again so Ill just paste my intro post from a diff site......because Im lazy lol.

Hello everyone! glad to be here and looking forward to discussions and advice! I am new to guns but have been reading and researching diligently! I have taken my handgun course and will be applying for my permit once money is not quite so tight. I have bought my first gun and decided to go with a Taurus 24/7 pro .40. I love the gun and have a blast shooting but could use some advice as far as using it for my carry choice. And yes yes I know IWB OWB Shoulder all the types and IWB works best to conceal just cover and all that jazz. but summer is coming soon and as a larger fellow I have tried putting the gun in my waistband without even a holster (unloaded just infront of the mirror) and with just a t-shirt, which is all I can bear in the summer, it always either prints or my shirt rides up or it somehow shows. Are there holsters that help with this? I dont like the idea of a "smartcarry" or the likes only because it seems fairly awkward to get to in an emergency. I love CCW clothing but all I can find is jackets and additional shirts and all stuff for cooler weather, anybody know of any good CCW shorts or pants? I have seen the "breakaways" and their only in khakis it seems and, well to be right to the point Im a younger guy (24) and well Im not the type to wear that style really.....at all lol. I did see this--> Handgun holsters designed to conceal your handgun in a concealed carry holster system which I LOVE but it seems they have gone out of buisiness...sad, and I cant seem to find any other thigh holsters that would be comfortable against bare leg. And my last consideration is just using my taurus for home defense and getting something more compact for CCW, right now thats where Im leaning. Although I would love to use my .40 to carry after some of the stories I have read about lesser ammo just not having the stopping power in SOME cases. But if I do get a new gun for CCW I am leaning towards a Ruger LCR I have held one and researched it and it seems like my #1 pick right now. So thats where I stand as it is any and all advice or stories of experiences pertaining to my choices are more than welcome. :) Glad to be here and lookign forward to meeting you all!

Go with a Crossbreed Supertuck, or at least give them a look. You gun won't print as much in a holster as it will outside one. The holster helps break up the outline a bit, and make it infinitely more comfortable to wear.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

I am in a somewhat similiar situation to yours, only I have several guns that I can chose from. I have applied for my permit and am just waiting for it to get here. I have a ruger P89 9MM that I have worn OWB while at the range and around the house, but I cannot imagine carrying it all the time. I might get used to it, but right now it feels like it sticks out like a sore thumb. I have Colt 380 that seems a mcuh better size to carry, and I have actually ordered an IWB holster from Crossbreed for it. I also have a Charter Arms 38 spl. that I have considered carrying, but am waiting to order an IWB holster for it. Bottom line is, I am committed to finding a way to carry that I am comfortable with and know that I might have to buy several holsters before I'm done. I'm even looking at the ruger LC9 as an option. Good Luck. Lots of knowledgeable people on this site that will be able to help you.

Welcome and I have to agree with paaiyan, check out the supertuck.
    "He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." - Leonardo da Vinci

VIP Member
    Depending on your budget, there is the Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro which will conceal anything well, but it is pricey. At the budget end, I like the Kholster. It is like the CBST paaiyan noted, but it is more adjustable and less expensive. While it does not conceal as well as a Black Ops Pro, it does pretty well.

Click on the link below to see how well the Black Ops Pro conceals a S&W 640 and Springfield 5" 1911 - 2 different holsters for 2 different guns.

YouTube - How Do You Carry
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Ive tried several. Right now what is comfortable and allows every day carry is pocket carry with extra mags in my go back which is always on me. If its not in the pocket its in the ccw part of the go bag. One zipper and its out.
    If you have a small pocket pistol like a kahr, lcp, bodyguard, kel tec etc I like the remora holster, ccw tshirts dont work that well for me they are too hot but I am looking forward to getting a recluse holster.

Then again I live in an extremely low crime area, and my everyday threat level is extremely low. Were it higher I would probably carry IWb with extra mags. I have that option as well but for right now it doesnt work well with my dress.

When I started carrying, I was 300lbs, and could barely get into my pants. Daily carry was the motivation I needed to drop some weight. I've lost 50 lbs since Jan 1, and hope to get another 50 off by my birthday in November. It's not easy, but it's worth it. IWB carry is MUCH more comfortable, and without the spare tire around my waist there is very little printing at all.
    oneshot likes this.

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    I went with IWB just conceal it as thats what I usually do. I also carry 9x18 Makarov in a bellyband or in Bianchi IWB or an NRA holster shirt (think underarmor) or in a Fobus paddle holster OWB depending on clothing. However 90% of the time these days its the G23 in a Crossbreed supertuck (best holster I own) and the Tuarus .380 TCP in my pocket. It depends on what I'm wearing and what I'm doing that day. I also live in the country without a lot of interaction with people so I don't worry as much but unless regulated by laws I always have the TCP thats the one gun I don't leave home without because its easy to throw in my pocket and never have to worry bout printing. There are many options and one option may not work everyday for you it doens't for me. Saturday i'm always dressed differently than Sunday in Church so I have different firearms and holsters to fit what I'm wearing and doing.

i think i'd opt for something smaller for summer carry..you won't find anything easier to conceal then the Ruger lcp or similar .380's,you cant beat em for the hot summer months..the Ruger lcr is another excellent choice for lightweight "pocket" revolvers,can't go wrong with either but the lcp will be a bit easier to conceal..

I am in the same position and everything I've heard here has further helped make up my mind that the Crossbreed is what I think I'm going to go with. Again the problem isnt as big for me as I'll be carrying a subcompact in the GLOCK 26. I am a bigger guy 6' 270 (bigger not taller ahha) and even still I have very little printing with the various holsters I have tried from friends etc...I attribute that to the fact that it is such a small firearm.

One other question I do have and there may be a thread already I just haven't found it..feel free to let me know if there is...What belts do you all prefer for carrying? Any preference of brands, materials etc..

Check out this thread, it might help... next to your quality holster, a quality gun belt is a must....

Best Gun Belt for the Money
    "He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." - Leonardo da Vinci

I have both IWB and OWB Galco holsters that I use to carry a full size 1911 and have no problem with concealed carry. I use the IWB more in the summer when I wear T-shirts, but I do use the OWB with unbottoned short sleeve shirts as well. Occasionally, I will pocket carry (DeSantis pocket holster) my S&W 642, but I carry the 1911 about 99% of the time if I go out. As others have said though, a GOOD gun belt is as important as the holster.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Quote Originally Posted by DaRedneck View Post
    Check out this thread, it might help... next to your quality holster, a quality gun belt is a must....

Best Gun Belt for the Money
    thank you

Personally, I prefer OWB with a pancake, that way if I cannot or choose to not carry to a particular place, my pants still fit. With a good holster they fit very tight to the body. I prefer open front garments to closed and they clear much better with a one handed draw. I find that light cotton or linen shirt adds little heat and if you want/need more formal, leaving the last couple buttons unbuttoned looks better, but still allows one handed clearance and draw.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links