CC Question in MIchigan

This is a discussion on CC Question in MIchigan within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know that the law in Michigan states that you cannot conceal carry in "An entertainment facility that the individual knows or should know has ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: CC Question in MIchigan

CC Question in MIchigan

I know that the law in Michigan states that you cannot conceal carry in "An entertainment facility that the individual knows or should know has a seating capacity of 2,500 or more.".

I was wondering, as how this pertains to those large movie theaters that can have a dozen different theaters inside them. Does the 2,500 capacity count for the entire venue or do you go by the seating capacity of the individual theater in which you are going to see a movie. While I know that there are more than 2,500 seats in the entire building, if you are only in one small section that seats a few hundred, can you still not carry there?

I know the best bet would be to err on the side of caution anyway, but I was just curious as to what people thought on this.
    Last edited by The Squatch; April 28th, 2011 at 03:41 PM.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Welcome to the forum!

If it's not spelled out in the statute, I would apply the limit only to the auditorium in which I view the movie. I went to an Imax theater at the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn with my niece, after checking that the auditorium held only ~800 seats. (Saw the 3D version of Beowulf, pretty cool.)

It is the owner of the property whom gets to decide.
    There many gray areas in our State carry laws, and there are as many bills in the legislature to clarify them.
    Your statement of: to err on the side of caution is the best way to retain both your CPL and your dollars until the gray becomes clear.
    Just my opinion.
    LET FREEDOM REIGN NOT GOVERNMENT

VIP Member
    The best answer is to talk to a lawyer in Michigan. That being said, if all the theaters use a common entrance, I would say the seating capacity of the building is what is going to count.

I'm not a lawyer, nor profess to know the laws of your state, it's JMO.

By the way, welcome to the forum from Virginia.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

The instructor for my cpl class said it was the seating capacity of the whole facility. As stated above he said it could be considered a gray area. I don't want to risk it as prosecutors don't like gray areas. The good news is there is legislation that may remove pistol free zones in Michigan.
    " The illegal we do immediately. The unconstitutional takes a little longer." Henry Kissenger

Quote Originally Posted by borglyn View Post
    The instructor for my cpl class said it was the seating capacity of the whole facility. As stated above he said it could be considered a gray area. I don't want to risk it as prosecutors don't like gray areas. The good news is there is legislation that may remove pistol free zones in Michigan.
    It seems to me my instructor said it was a grey area, the statue isn't clear as to if it applies to all theatres in a complex or each one individually. I guess if you got busted you could use the argument that each room is called a theatre. As in Beowulf is now showing in "theatre1". Thor is showing in "theatre2".
    The other issue is unless you count the seats in each theater how would you know if it's over 2,500? Assuming 12 "rooms" in a complex that means each room would need to have over 200 seats. Count the seats next time your there and see what you get.

As far as the law to repeal the gun free zones, I havn't heard anything about any progress on that. Has anyone else heard if it's making any progress? I wish it would pass so I could vist my wife for lunch easier at the hospital.

On an unrelated note, the wife and I went to see Mamma Mia at the Dow Event Center. Before we went I checked and the listed seating capacity in the Heritage Theater there is just under the 2500 cutoff. Sweet!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by borglyn View Post
    Write letters, make phone calls, hope and pray, just don't hold your breath. It is an uphill battle all the way.

OP - Personally, I am not going to get into an arguement with either a LEO or a prosecutor about it. Err on the side of caution. That is what non-lethal options are for.

Good luck!
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

First off, just let me say Thank you for all of the welcomes. I truly appreciate it.

It seems that the laws are indeed grey in this matter and I'll just have to "play it by ear", as they say. I suppose I will call the theater I usually go to some time tomorrow and speak to the manager there to get his thoughts on the matter. The theater I frequent is inside a mall, Great Lakes Crossing for those who may be familiar with it, and I'm not exactly sure if I can carry there either. I only recently received my permit and have not been there since. I guess I'll find out tomorrow and let you all know, if interested.

Lead Moderator
    Best to memorize MI law as best you can pertaining to CCW . Many gray areas do make for difficult choices, however erring on the side of caution may be the best option.
    Caertaker likes this.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by The Squatch View Post
    The theater I frequent is inside a mall, Great Lakes Crossing for those who may be familiar with it, and I'm not exactly sure if I can carry there either. I only recently received my permit and have not been there since. I guess I'll find out tomorrow and let you all know, if interested.
    I'm quite familiar with that theater and have been there many times. I've never seen any signs preventing CCW inside the mall, but that's a pretty sizable theater. I personally would think it falls within the gun free zone area of the law. Just my impression. I would be interested in hearing the manager's response though.

Well, according to the manager, who read me the company policy verbatim, "employees and guests are prohibited from carrying weapons of any kind whether licensed to do so or not."

I guess that answers that.

As for the mall itself, I called them as well and they stated that you are allowed to CC so long as you have a CPL and you have it on you. Obviously.

It appears the only two specific places there that I have found you are, for sure, not allowed to carry are Star Theater and Toby Keith's Bar & Grill.
    "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."

Thanks for the info. It's good to know for certain.

Quote Originally Posted by delta1679 View Post
    I'm quite familiar with that theater and have been there many times. I've never seen any signs preventing CCW inside the mall, but that's a pretty sizable theater. I personally would think it falls within the gun free zone area of the law. Just my impression. I would be interested in hearing the manager's response though.

I was just at Great Lakes Crossing yesterday. It was my first visit there. I entered the mall through the Bass Pro Shop entrance and they ask you to check your weapons at that entrance. So I went back to my car and secured my weapon. But after that I kinda made the assumption that if that entrance has signage asking you to check your weapon, that the rest of the mall also could be considered a Gun Free Zone. Although there was no signage from the mall entrance into Bass Pro Shop, there was definitely signage on the outsid

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Spann View Post
    I was just at Great Lakes Crossing yesterday. It was my first visit there. I entered the mall through the Bass Pro Shop entrance and they ask you to check your weapons at that entrance. So I went back to my car and secured my weapon. But after that I kinda made the assumption that if that entrance has signage asking you to check your weapon, that the rest of the mall also could be considered a Gun Free Zone. Although there was no signage from the mall entrance into Bass Pro Shop, there was definitely signage on the outsid
    I was Just at Bass Pro an hour ago. I carried without a problem. I think the only guns that need to be checked are those to be used at the shooting range inside, or those guns brought in for service. Concealed or open carry is OK as far as I know.

Quote Originally Posted by TopGun47 View Post
    I was Just at Bass Pro an hour ago. I carried without a problem. I think the only guns that need to be checked are those to be used at the shooting range inside, or those guns brought in for service. Concealed or open carry is OK as far as I know.
    Cool Beans. I just erred on the side of caution is all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links