Texas Issue, changing CHL to OC only; Yike????? Are they kidding?

This is a discussion on Texas Issue, changing CHL to OC only; Yike????? Are they kidding? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Why do they have to amend their current CHL laws to permit open carry? If the true intention was to permit open carry, why not ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Texas Issue, changing CHL to OC only; Yike????? Are they kidding?

Why do they have to amend their current CHL laws to permit open carry?

If the true intention was to permit open carry, why not introduce a bill on it's own merit instead of messing with the other?

After a law is passed, it takes a lot of money and a lot of people's lives can be turned upside down, while the courts try to decide the 'intent' thereof. It would be better for everyone if the law was spelled out a bit more specifically.
    Hopyard likes this.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by CommonMan101 View Post
    Even Kalifornia is more permissive than Texas.
    How do you figure? Most of the state's population cannot obtain concealed-carry licenses by LEO fiat, they have crazy rules for what guns and ammo can be sold in the state, they ban mere possession of "bad" firearms and ammo, and open carry must be unloaded.

Even Kalifornia is more permissive than Texas and still will be even if HB 2756 passes.

No so sure what you have been taking, but anyone who thinks that a may issue state is better off than a shall issue state is definately not thinking clearly.

Open carrying an unloaded gun doesn't do anyone much good and having to wait 10 days to get a gun doesn't seem very gun friendly in my view. But hey, we are all entitled to our views.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TVJ View Post
    Hopyard,

You have strong feelings on this.

I suggest and support you to go further on this, call Lavenders office and hold their feet to the fire regarding your issues with interpretation of this new bill.

Please report back, it helps us Texans.
    That is a very good suggestion which unfortunately I can not follow up on, though I wish I could. Hope someone else does though.

It might help for some to read through this thread. Especially the posts by Mr. Cotton. TexasCHLforum.com • View topic - HB 2756 Open Carry bill reported favorably

I believe he has some very good insight to the bill and the possible consequences of this legislation, and what would need to take place to make sure the current CHL holders are not adversely affected. It is definately worth a read.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    NRA Instructor

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    It might help for some to read through this thread. Especially the posts by Mr. Cotton. TexasCHLforum.com • View topic - HB 2756 Open Carry bill reported favorably

I believe he has some very good insight to the bill and the possible consequences of this legislation, and what would need to take place to make sure the current CHL holders are not adversely affected. It is definately worth a read.
    Yes, a good read. He has somewhat different concerns than I do, but concerns nonetheless. The part I thought was interesting was the comment that by 2013 there will be 600K licenses and these will be put in jeopardy by attempting to get OC.

My view, I have no serious problem with OC for those who want it, though I wouldn't. I just fear ending up with a Hand Gun License that accidentally only allows for OC. (Yup, broken record. Take the word concealed out of the statute and you have nothing.)

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Will it mean that more 30.06 signs will be posted on businesses that wouldn't have given it a second thought when everyone concealed and they knew nothing about guns in their stores. Absolutely.
    This a very real "unintended consequence". I raised this concern several weeks ago in another thread, and it continues to worry me.

To Randian and Farronwolf,

I should have clarified my use of "permissive". I was thinking of open carry there vs open carry in TX. And if this bill is passed they will still be more permissive when it comes to the subject of open carry.

You are referring to conceal carry when you mention "may issue" and yet they need no state permission to open carry. The unloaded part during open carry is only in some counties - not the whole state. And yes it is only my opinion but I would rather need no permission and have my Glock on my right hip with my mags on my left hip in the big cities and fully loaded everywhere else. As for the insult I'll do my best to ignore it since it's obvious you haven't done much homework in this area of Kali gun laws.

The TX law (if passed) will not let the average joe have even an unloaded gun on his/her hip without state permission. How is that better? In my book it is not - but again - it is only my opinion that having the ability to load and use my gun is better than leaving it in the truck. My opinion and $1 will buy you a Dallas Morning News weekly edition. It's worth THAT much!

To be certain: I do agree with the Ted Nugent line of acceptable gun laws.

Maybe it's to protect the minority of us that are just not very good and concealing the handgun?

I actually think that is good news... that's now it is in Minnesota, there is no 'conceal' or 'open carry' law, just carry law.

To Randian and Farronwolf,

The unloaded part during open carry is only in some counties - not the whole state. And yes it is only my opinion but I would rather need no permission and have my Glock on my right hip with my mags on my left hip in the big cities and fully loaded everywhere else. As for the insult I'll do my best to ignore it since it's obvious you haven't done much homework in this area of Kali gun laws.
    You might want to read through this. http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/forms/pdf/cfl.pdf

It is unlawful to carry a loaded firearm on one’s person or in a vehicle while in any public
    place, on any public street, or in any place where it is unlawful to discharge a firearm.
    (Penal Code 12031(a)(1).)
    Good luck with the only in some counties train of thought on loaded firearms.

Then you might want to read through the Texas laws. If one so chooses they can carry a long gun without any permit, with it in fact being loaded all but a few places they want in Texas. No assault weapons ban, no limit on 50 bmg, no 10 rd mag limitation, no may issue for permits, no "good cause" for a permit.

Maybe we should start a poll and find out from the other members here which state they see as more gun friendly, Texas or California. I know where my money would be.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Generally speaking, any thing that is not specifically deemed unlawful is lawful. In this case it would mean that unless either open carry or concealed carry were deemed unlawful, they would both be lawful. IANAL

Bobo
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other"
    ~John Adams

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob O View Post
    Generally speaking, any thing that is not specifically deemed unlawful is lawful. In this case it would mean that unless either open carry or concealed carry were deemed unlawful, they would both be lawful. IANAL

Bobo
    See my post 22. There is nothing like having it spelled out in black and white "CONCEALED IS PERMITTED," "IF YOU HAVE A CONCEALED HANDGUN LICENSE YOU MAY ALSO CARRY UNCONCEALED."

It isn't more complex than that. They claim that is what they intend and that is what they want and that is what they mean. I promise you all, the second the word concealed is taken out of the law entirely, someone is going to turn around and use that against one of us.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links