Texas Issue, changing CHL to OC only; Yike????? Are they kidding?

This is a discussion on Texas Issue, changing CHL to OC only; Yike????? Are they kidding? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A few weeks back we had a thread running here with some proposed legislation posted. In it the word "concealed" was chicken scratched out of ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Texas Issue, changing CHL to OC only; Yike????? Are they kidding?

VIP Member

A few weeks back we had a thread running here with some proposed legislation posted. In it the word "concealed" was chicken scratched out of the present code and folks thought it was done as an awkward way to introduce OC. Some of us raised the concern that the legislation was so poorly drafted that it might accidentally outlaw concealed carry.

I apologize, I can't find that thread. If I could find it this would be posted there.

Anyway, the following is from our daily TV station's report on this legisalation.

"The House Committee on Homeland Security and Public Safety wants to take the concealed part out of concealed handgun licenses.

The committee voted 5-3 in favor of a bill that would remove the word concealed from the law that allows Texans to have a handgun license. The so-called "open carry" law would allow license holders to carry their weapons in plain view wherever they would be allowed to carry a concealed handgun. The rules for getting a license would not change."

WT oijhopi[ur0ih0 It wasn't poorly drafted. These folks seem to want to eliminate the CHL.

As always, no one is safe when the Texas legislature is in session, especially this present crowd. Voted 5:3 out of committee? It will pass The House. These guys are either dumber than dirt or duplicitous.

VIP Member
    I'm not familiar with the whole text of the bill, but my take is it would allow open as well as concealed carry, as long as you have a permit. Along the same lines as Indiana's licensed open carry.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    I'm not familiar with the whole text of the bill, but my take is it would allow open as well as concealed carry, as long as you have a permit. Along the same lines as Indiana's licensed open carry.

News article

House committee approves open carry of handguns | AP Texas News | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

Just like the good old days. Only the bad guys hide their guns is the way I read it. Hopefully everyone jumps on this assinine piece of legislation and gets it stopped if that's the intent which I believe it is.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

From my understanding it would allow for both. They want to remove the word "concealed" handgun license so that it is just a handgun license period, doesn't matter how you carry your handgun. I certainly pray my understanding of it is actually what it is.
    "He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." - Leonardo da Vinci

I certainly hope so.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaRedneck View Post
    From my understanding it would allow for both. They want to remove the word "concealed" handgun license so that it is just a handgun license period, doesn't matter how you carry your handgun. I certainly pray my understanding of it is actually what it is.

You are correct sir.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ErnieNWillis View Post
    You are correct sir.
    Ernie, I hope you're right, but that isn't what the law that was posted here does. It removes every instance of the word concealed in the present statute. The report I quoted in post 1 is consistent with the way the law reads after you remove the word "concealed" from throughout the code. It leaves a handgun license in place which would then apparently be good for OC and OC only.

I don't think our local TV station's staff carelessly wrote what they did. (They are of course capable of such but I don't think this is an instance of it.) I think they paraphrased what a spokesperson for that committee or for the Texas House told them the law was about.

VIP Member
    Mods, this should be merged with the one Ernie W started. I didn't see his.

Same topic, but I think we have opposite interpretations of what the Texas legislature is actually doing.

I trust my enemies more than I trust the Texas legislature. At least i know what to expect from my enemies. I pray this does not get rid of Concealed carry in Texas. Damn Politicians.

Yes as I read it , You would have a Texas Hangun License Just like the Ga. JMO ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hogdaddy View Post
    Yes as I read it , You would have a Texas Hangun License Just like the Ga. JMO ; )
    H/D
    Maybe. I guess we won't know for sure till after something passes.

My fear here is that if the law does not contain language specifically authorizing concealed carry there will be LEOs and DAs who will try to test what the law means, and it will be tested to the detriment of someone who relied on their "handgun license" assuming it that allowed for concealed carry. It is also possible that reciprocity will be lost with other states.

I have no idea how the law in GA phrases things, but I know that our statute with the words concealed which have been removed, could easily be taken to mean that concealed carry isn't allowed because it isn't specifically authorized.

There are going to be big city officials who jump all over it, or rather all over anyone who carries concealed.

In its present form I hope it goes nowhere.

Has anyone written a Rep to ask? It's worked for me in the past. Knowing beats guessing any day.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

TVJ
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    Has anyone written a Rep to ask? It's worked for me in the past. Knowing beats guessing any day.
    What a great and obvious idea.

I just called: Rep. Lavender, George District 1 - office. He authored the bill.

Spoke with "Matt"

Matt states this bill allows open carry and conceal carry. Allows licensed Texan to open or conceal carry - personal choice.

Here is the ongoing history of the bill for those that wish to follow:

Texas Legislature Online - 82(R) History for HB 2756
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Frederic Bastiat

VIP Member
    Well, that doesn't give the text, which was posted here a few weeks back. It does say it has not been amended.

Watch out folks. This one is a trojan horse or the work of ineptitude.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links