"Being made" and noticing others who concealed carry

This is a discussion on "Being made" and noticing others who concealed carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A couple of years ago I was in a grocery store when I noticed another customer looking at me in the check out line. A ...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: "Being made" and noticing others who concealed carry

A couple of years ago I was in a grocery store when I noticed another customer looking at me in the check out line. A short time later as I was loading the groceries into my car trunk in the parking lot he came by pushing his cart. He stopped and asked me what I was carrying. I asked him why he thought I was carrying. He said he could see the outline under my jacket on my right hip. I smiled and opened my jacket showing him my leatherman. He was somewhat surprised and apologized and went his way. I finished loading my groceries and adjusted my revolver in it's shoulder holster under my left arm as I got in the car.
    Be not far from me, for trouble is near; For there is none to help. psalm22:11

2. Remove Ads

I was sitting in the lobby of my daughters preschool the other day waiting for them to release the kids. One of the dads was waiting also, and when he leaned forward in his seat to rest his elbows on his knees he was clearly printing. (It was the coat he was wearing, one of those fleece jackets zipped up, made his gun and holster outline perfectly.) I leaned in and said very quietly, "Hey, you're printing, and while I don't care if you carry, you realize this is a school and the gun laws clearly state no carry within 1000 feet of a school. I just don't want someone else freaking out and you getting arrested, that coat sucks for carry, just thought you should know." He sat up quickly, nodded, said thanks, and the next time I saw him he had a different coat. Hehehe.

I'm just glad none of the other parents noticed, I know a few of the moms there would FLIP if they realized someone was carrying around their kids.

Its funny how people think that they see CC'ers every where. Its like when you get a new rig and all you see on the roads is that rig. Not every bulge or bump is a pistol, just because you are carrying doesn't mean that everyone is. I my self have a lot better things to do then walk around looking at peoples waists and crotches. I find that the face and eyes are a way better indicator of what that person is doing then there waist and I have to tell you most people are doing the same thing I am doing, just living life and getting what needs done done and what needs purchased purchased.
    brylow likes this.

The only time I have noticed someone printing for sure was an elder in our church. He had told me that he and his wife always carry. One time at a dinner in the church basement he was sitting at the end of the table and his strong side leg was toward the isle.I could see the heavy bulge in his pant pocket, so I knew he must be pocket carrying. If he was standing I'm sure I wouldn't be able to tell.
    I have noticed a few people in Walmart near sporting goods that had untucked shirt, and a few that had folder knives clipped to their pocket, but I couldn't say for sure if they were carrying a gun. I guess I'm not well enough trained.
    I did have a conversation with a guy at the Walmart ammo counter as we were both looking for 40 caliber ammo. He told me he had just gotten a Glock 27, same as me. He told me he had his 9mm because he didn't have ammo for the G27. He was pocket carrying the 9mm from what I gathered.

I told him I had my 38 because I hadn't shot my new g27 enough to carry it yet.

The wife and I were at church and noticed a CC'er then noticed he had a ear piece in and is part of the security team there. I asked the wife is she noticed anything about the guy and she said no then i told her he was carrying and she stared at him and said i don't see anything then I showed her the clips on the belt and she said "out loud" oh thats the same holster you have. I gave her the look and she realized she hadn't thought it but said it and went back to paying attention to the service.

I have looked and watched closely. Either they are really good or I have not been close to even one. Just once I'd like to recognize a fellow CC'r. Keep it up out there. !!!!
    In a gun fight, you can not miss fast enough, to catch up.

If I could chime in... Some times the big indicators of someone who is a carrying isn't always the fact that they print the weapon. It can be the way they walk if they are carryin on their hip, etc. Those rediculous pocket knives that folks wear hooked on their pants. A number of things. The biggests violators are frankly people who are not yet comfortable carrying a weapon in the first place.
    4evrinblujns likes this.

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    My wife and I were in a Sprint store a few days ago, looking at smart phones. A guy came in wearing shorts and a tee shirt and I immediately noticed a bulge on his hip when he reached out to check out a sample phone. I could see the outline of a full-sized 1911 OWB. I couldn't believe it was so apparent and nobody else seemed to pay any attention. The store was crowded. I must say, it was the first clear sign of printing I ever saw. I almost felt like telling him his CC method wasn't working and was he aware that he could be arrested if someone calls a LEO. I'm hoping they will pass the modified version of the open carry bill here in FL. which would make it not a crime if your gun prints or accidentally shows. I always go back to pocket carry after trying on a IWB or OWB holster and moving around as normally as possible. No matter what it always seems to print in a certain position. It's got me paranoid. I'd really like to carry my G-30sf but it's too big for my pockets and prints everywhere else.

The right arm does not swing naturally, swings outward or is slightly bent at the elbow. Person is checking out everyone in sight. Hitching up there pants. Tucks elbow in to make sure there gun is still there. Puffs out the shirt. Looks to see who is looking at them. Keeps pulling down the jacket. Oh now he is looking to see if he is printing.
    Most of these are beginner errors.
    LET FREEDOM REIGN NOT GOVERNMENT

I've only noticed it one time and that was in a gun store.

I was once eating in a Bob Evans restaurant with my wife on a Saturday. We had just gotten our CHPs. A couple guys in a booth were getting up to leave. One had on an NRA hat, some tacticool pants, and a t-shirt emblazoned with the name of a pawn shop. He stood up to put on his coat after finishing his breakfast. As he raised his arm into the coat sleeve, his shirt rode up exposing his sidearm muzzle and bottom of his OWB holster. He was printing pretty obviously as well.

That's how I learned there was a gun show in town that weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by FiremanPaul View Post
    I frequently hear folks on this, and other forums, comment that most people are too oblivious to notice that people are carrying concealed. In general, I would agree. However, there is another element to this. I'm moving to Oregon soon and was talking to my father-in-law about concealed carry there. He said he sees it all the time, no big deal. He said he notices most often at restaurants. Granted, he is a pretty observant guy. Nevertheless, I think we need to make allowance for the fact that our concealed weapons are noticed more often than we realize. I think there is a not-insignificant percentage of people out there who notice and don't care (not threatened by it, supportive of it, etc.). Just because people don't comment or react to a concealed weapon doesn't necessarily mean they don't notice.
    Cops care: I was made with a full size polished stainless steel Colt 1911 Government which had got caught OUTSIDE my covering vest - walking from my car in bright sunlight to a coffee shop - where I went straight up to the cashier. A cop driving buy slammed on his breaks and quietly entered the store. He had seen me in the neighborhood before and once we spoke over a cup of coffee; he said later he did not really think I was going to rob the place (I'm over 60 as well) but as he said after: "You put on a great show for the whole street! I HAD to check you out to make sure"

He was really cool. Went inside behind me smiling, he and I said hello and he knew the cashier and so we all smiled as we greeted but he positioned himself VERY close to me and quietly said: "You have a permit for that ?" I knew at once what had happened. I quickly said "yes". My hands were on the counter and my wallet out already since I was going to order something. I started to get the permit and he said, again quietly; "Just don't move to the right, I don't want to make a scene here". I did NOT turn to the right, believe me. I showed him the permit and all was well, in fact we had a big laugh about how visible my gun was after and how I should invest in a longer vest. I had a very good cop.

BUT: if the cop had not vaguely known me, he could have called in "possible armed robbery about to take place" and I would have been surrounded by cops, maybe with guns out.

Moral of the story: don't assume concealing your weapon is a minor thing.

Quote Originally Posted by 4evrinblujns View Post
    The right arm does not swing naturally, swings outward or is slightly bent at the elbow. Person is checking out everyone in sight. Hitching up there pants. Tucks elbow in to make sure there gun is still there. Puffs out the shirt. Looks to see who is looking at them. Keeps pulling down the jacket. Oh now he is looking to see if he is printing.
    Most of these are beginner errors.
    I can't get rid of that pants hitch been carrying for years lol. I know, I know quit packing those full size 45's
    Last edited by tophop1; April 30th, 2011 at 05:43 PM.
    SAEPE EXPERTUS, SEMPER FIDELIS, FRATRES AETERNI

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    "He said he sees it all the time, no big deal. He said he notices most often at restaurants." OP

He probably see what he presumes to be a firearm. People carry all sorts of crap they just can't seem to live without these days, for some--firearms included. I've only seen one "no doubt it's a gun," but that's because his shirttail was hung up on the holster. All they others have been lumps and bumps that may or may not have been firearms.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I always look, but never see anyone carrying that I can tell anyways. When I carry, I almost always IWB carry and my pistol doesn't print much. I bet 99% of anyone who would see a little bulge when I bend or something would just think it was a cell phone.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links