"Being made" and noticing others who concealed carry

This is a discussion on "Being made" and noticing others who concealed carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I never see anyone else CCing. But that's how it should be. I also don't generally walk around looking at peoples waists. I do see ...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: "Being made" and noticing others who concealed carry

I never see anyone else CCing. But that's how it should be. I also don't generally walk around looking at peoples waists. I do see OC a bit but that's legal here also.

I had my brother in law FREAK on me one time. I got in his car and he practically screamed "are you carrying a gun?!!!"

I lifted my shirt to show him my cellphone in a clip on my left side, (facing him). He apologized and muttered something about crazy people with guns.

My CW40 was of course IWB on my right side. With him the rest of the day and he never knew.
    Freedom.... The Price Keeps Going Up, and the Quality Keeps Going Down.

2. Remove Ads

I gave up trying to pick out CCW holders a while back since I hadn't spotted any that were definite, just nondescript bulges. I also noticed that it was distracting me from paying attention to attitude and behavior as I focused on looking for the gun. It's similar to the failures I see with the TSA; they focus on the item not the actor. The behavior of the actor is a far better indicator of intent so it's what I tend to focus on. Someone carrying an axe through Home Depot on his way to pay at the cash register looks a lot different from someone carrying an axe on his way to chop someone up, for example.

Anyway, this thread got me thinking and I decided to take another attempt at picking someone out while grocery shopping today. I'm pretty sure I did, but still not positive. It was still just a nondescript bulge, but a couple things about it tipped me off because of my own knowledge of how people carry IWB. A non-carrier would probably not have noticed.

1. I don't know anyone that carries a cellphone on their strong-side hip at 4:30 (usually it's at 3:00 or forward of the hip).
    2. Most items that are carried on a belt poke out from the body, not hug the back snugly.
    3. His jeans bulged just slightly directly under the spot where I saw the bulge in his shirt. This bulge was not there on his weak side and was definitely inside the pants.

He was really well concealed, though. All of these bulges were slight and definitely not "discernible to casual observation."

On a slightly embarrassing side-note, my wife looked at me and said, "Are you staring at that guy's butt?" What could I say? "Yes, honey, but it's not what you think."
    Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.
    - Mike Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by TonyDTrigger View Post
    I think only gun people will notice. Every one else won't.
    Ditto. I've made 2 people for sure. One in a restaurant and I didn't say nothin to him, and another guy at work and I did say somethin to him coz I kinda knew him and I didn't think he'd mind. I made another guy but not exactly for a gun itself. He came in and got pizza and he just had this really obvious OGA vibe about him. He knew I knew it too. But I can't exactly say anything specific.

Non-gun people don't even know what a gun belt is lol
    and I once made out with a guy that didn't notice my gun on my hip the whole day. Now I guess he was rather uh, distracted, but you'd think he might be wondering about that hard spot on my hip? He's (usually) really observant too.
    Most people are pretty clueless.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Quote Originally Posted by Tala View Post
    He came in and got pizza and he just had this really obvious OGA vibe about him.
    OGA?

Did a search...

Oregon Golf Ass. - Nope

Obstetrical and Genealogical Associates - Probably not

Oil and Gas Asia - No

I give up.
    SAnta01, Erick46590 and bwalker25 like this.

Well I for one; when I go am always scanning hips for concealed weapons, like yesterday I saw a guy walking with his kid and half of his pancake holster was sticking out from under his t-shirt. Now I know he is armed. Just an everyday thing for me.

Quote Originally Posted by FiremanPaul View Post
    I frequently hear folks on this, and other forums, comment that most people are too oblivious to notice that people are carrying concealed. In general, I would agree. However, there is another element to this. I'm moving to Oregon soon and was talking to my father-in-law about concealed carry there. He said he sees it all the time, no big deal. He said he notices most often at restaurants. Granted, he is a pretty observant guy. Nevertheless, I think we need to make allowance for the fact that our concealed weapons are noticed more often than we realize. I think there is a not-insignificant percentage of people out there who notice and don't care (not threatened by it, supportive of it, etc.). Just because people don't comment or react to a concealed weapon doesn't necessarily mean they don't notice.
    One more step and it's on!

Funny how it goes, like owning a new car you look around and suddenly see things you didn't before. I carried for the first time this weekend, and twenty minutes later I saw another guy badly covering a holster at his kidney in a Target store.

I carried the entire day, and at the end I asked my wife if she knew... She had no idea. She glance up and down and figured it out, but until she knew to look, it wasn't obvious.

I carry concealed, but since Tennessee allows open carry with a permit, I don't fret too much if the gun happens to print. I've never had anyone say anything, so I assume they either don't notice, notice but don't care, or assume that I'm law enforcement. If you look the part, I think the latter may come into play more often than we think. Before I started carrying, I saw a guy open carrying in a convenience store. He was about my age, looked like he worked out, and had a buzz cut. He looked like ex-military and my first impression was "off duty cop". I've just never seen a bad guy carrying a .45 in $180 worth of holster and belt. Maybe they dress better in other parts of the country, but around here the gun's usually just jammed in a waistband or stuck in a pocket.
    bwalker25 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by owgem View Post
    OGA?

Did a search...

Oregon Golf Ass. - Nope

Obstetrical and Genealogical Associates - Probably not

Oil and Gas Asia - No

I give up.
    OGA is what my local LEOs call "other government agencies" .....could be anything, up to and including the ones that "don't exist"
    I take it must not be that common outside of redneckville
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

OGA is what my local LEOs call "other government agencies" .....could be anything, up to and including the ones that "don't exist"

OGA?

Well, until I got the explaination, I was thinking....

Outside Gun Alarm.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

So, secretive government operatives are more common in "redneckville"?

How so? Because you want them to be?

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post

I think he meant the term, "OGA," is less common, not the existence of the individuals.
    Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.
    - Mike Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by gruntingfrog View Post
    I think he meant the term, "OGA," is less common, not the existence of the individuals.
    Heck, I work in Washington, DC, and have not heard that term used.

I think someone's been reading too many Tom Clancy novels.

i actually make it a point to look for fun..I have only seen 3 that I am really sure about. (CC that is..) didn't really feel like going up to them and telling them they were printing though....not really my thing.. :)
    EDC: FN FNP-9 w/ three 16 rnd magazines. Mini Maglite.

" The unarmed man is not just defenseless, he is also contemptible." ~ Machiavelli.

Senior Moderator
    Anyone that really knows me knows that I am carrying something, whether they can see it or not.

I'm a big enough guy that I can pretty well conceal anything I want and precious few people will have a clue that I am doing so.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post

Well, they do some training the other side of Little Rock from here, which is how the term came up in conversation. Like I said, maybe it's kinda local term. It doesn't really specify anything, no conspiracy theories. Basically they don't advertize who they are with, hence the LEOs who train up there just call them OGA. The guy I saw was definitely not your regular cop or local LEO type, but he was trained for somebody. I suspect most people around me are not observant enough to notice and/or most of "them" are better at acting "normal"
    My own boss used to be secret service. You might peg him for military, lots of army guys in the south anyway, but you wouldn't know about his other jobs.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links