"Being made" and noticing others who concealed carry - Page 4

"Being made" and noticing others who concealed carry

This is a discussion on "Being made" and noticing others who concealed carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I 'made' an older gentlemen as I was entering and he was exiting the men's room at the university I was studying at back in ...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: "Being made" and noticing others who concealed carry

I 'made' an older gentlemen as I was entering and he was exiting the men's room at the university I was studying at back in the day. He was wearing khaki pants and a pull-over sweater that gathered/had elastic at the waist, but was otherwise fairly loose fitting. While still in front of him, for some reason my Spidey senses told me he was armed. As we passed each other our right side I glanced back, and sure enough, there was a distinct pistol-sized bulge behind his right hip. I'm guessing he was a trying-not-to-look-like-a-LEO LEO that didn't succeed...at least not with me.
    "An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."
    - Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC

I only ever noticed one guy printing. He was a garage mechanic and it looked like he had a shoebox on his belt. I only looked because he had signs all over the station stating alluding to the fact that he was armed. I quietly mentioned that he was printing and he blamed it on his too small shirt. This was in a highly NPE. Oddly enough this was in West Hartford, CT. a half mile from Colt Mfg.

Quote Originally Posted by tophop1 View Post
    I can't get rid of that pants hitch been carrying for years lol. I know, I know quit packing those full size 45's
    Have you tried suspenders. They make all the difference!
    I ordered some Perry suspenders, but any good set would do.
    I wear them over a t-shirt, and under a cover shirt, either a polo or another loose fitting tee.
    It's great, I can loosen my belt two holes, and do not have to keep hitching my pants up, or have to deal with pumbers crack.

Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    Have you tried suspenders. They make all the difference!
    I ordered some Perry suspenders, but any good set would do.
    I wear them over a t-shirt, and under a cover shirt, either a polo or another loose fitting tee.
    It's great, I can loosen my belt two holes, and do not have to keep hitching my pants up, or have to deal with pumbers crack.
    I have looked a few times didn't see any I thought would work of course real hard to tell online I will look for those Perry's. Would really be nice for USPSA on those 5 or 6 mag change stages we have once in awhile.
    SAEPE EXPERTUS, SEMPER FIDELIS, FRATRES AETERNI

Thanks TedBeau those were just the kind I needed I ordered 2 pair
    SAEPE EXPERTUS, SEMPER FIDELIS, FRATRES AETERNI

Interesting thread.... I say no big deal. Perhaps we should develop a secret sign known only to carry people and when we see it just do the sign and keep going. Reminds me of "The Sting" with the rub of the nose sign.

yesterday i was in my favorite cigar shop and noticed a customer come in and he was printing appendix carry. he was quite portly and had a tee shirt tucked into his jeans and a fleece vest. looked like he was using a belly band. i didn't mention it to him since it only really printed when he was reaching over his head for a cigar from the walk in humidor.

first time i ever really noticed someone carrying that i didn't know. lots of guys carry in the cigar shop. i'd bet 3/4s of the customers carry in there at any one time in the lounge area.

I carry every day and work in a medical office with business casual attire. I have never been 'made' by anyone, except once in church when talking with someone his hand brushed my CCW (a Sig 245 in an MTAC). He is a retired paratrooper, but his eyes did widen a bit...

I looked at him with all seriousness and told him it was a new pager for work...

Most times, my wife does not know if I am carrying or not, and often asks me.

Bill
    --- Sig 245, P6, 224
    --- Kahr PM9

My brother in law carrys all the time...at first I had no idea, but then I noticed the holster when he sat down. Me, I'm new to CC and am still getting comfortable doing so. I can't carry during the week as I work for the federal government, but I do carry when I get home.
    Sig Sauer P250
    Member-GeorgiaCarry.org
    US Navy 84-93

I think to many people worry way too much about this. I often carry in a Tommys gun pak...kinda looks like a fanny pack. I got into a verbal disagreement with a guy behind the counter at a gun store over the use of fanny packs. He was giving me the usual 'everybody knows'...and I stopped him and asked:

'So, if the good guys know....how does that make a difference? Are they going to bother me?'....well, no.

'And if the cops make me, I have a permit, so why would that be a problem'....

'and if the bad guys figure it out, don't you think they'd go look for an easier mark to pick on?'.....

We agreed to disagree and I went on my way.

I spotted someone pocket carrying today at Academy Sports while I was buying ammo today.

So here's what I saw. A man in his 40's walking around in normal clothes for near 100 degree weather in Texas; a t-shirt and shorts. He wasn't wearing tacti-cool gear, or a photographer's vest, or fanny pack, or anything else people assume will give you away. So far so good for him. If it weren't for one thing I never would have spotted him.

His problem was that he kept hitching up his pants on his left side, then touching his back pocket. He had a decent pocket holster that made the bulge look generally like a wallet, but every time he touched it he pushed on the portion of the holster that is "empty". This made the rest print in the shape of his gun. Based on the size, general shape, and relative popularity, it was probably either an LCP or P3AT.

Based on how I spotted him, I have these two pieces of advice.

1. Even when pocket carrying, get a good belt and make sure it's snug.
    2. Keep your hand off the stupid thing.
    Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.
    - Mike Tyson

LOL ... I still remember the guy who was yelling out I was carrying a gun in a video store... and pointing to my left side..... and I raised up my shirt to show him my cell phone and asking if that's what he meant. He was embarrassed for trying to "out me" .
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    LOL ... I still remember the guy who was yelling out I was carrying a gun in a video store... and pointing to my left side..... and I raised up my shirt to show him my cell phone and asking if that's what he meant. He was embarrassed for trying to "out me" .
    Let me guess. You were actually carrying on your right side, but he had no idea.

I thought about just walking by without acknowledging him and whispering, "They all know. Everybody's watching you."
    Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.
    - Mike Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by 229fornow View Post
    yesterday i was in my favorite cigar shop and noticed a customer come in and he was printing appendix carry. he was quite portly and had a tee shirt tucked into his jeans and a fleece vest. looked like he was using a belly band. i didn't mention it to him since it only really printed when he was reaching over his head for a cigar from the walk in humidor.

first time i ever really noticed someone carrying that i didn't know. lots of guys carry in the cigar shop. i'd bet 3/4s of the customers carry in there at any one time in the lounge area.
    Being overweight makes it more difficult. I'm overweight and have to dress light.. so.. it really gets tough. Luckily I rarely leave my house for long anyway.
    Coming soon to a Montana near you!

Quote Originally Posted by Tala View Post
    I once made out with a guy that didn't notice my gun on my hip the whole day. Now I guess he was rather uh, distracted, but you'd think he might be wondering about that hard spot on my hip?
    I'm sorry, but that was too difficult NOT to quote!
    Matthew 10:28 "And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell." ✞

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links