"Being made" and noticing others who concealed carry

This is a discussion on "Being made" and noticing others who concealed carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Mjodr Luckily I rarely leave my house for long anyway. I'm not sure whether to be sad or to feel pity for ...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: "Being made" and noticing others who concealed carry

Quote Originally Posted by Mjodr View Post
    Luckily I rarely leave my house for long anyway.
    I'm not sure whether to be sad or to feel pity for you.
    Mjodr likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Originally Posted by Tala
    I once made out with a guy that didn't notice my gun on my hip the whole day. Now I guess he was rather uh, distracted, but you'd think he might be wondering about that hard spot on my hip?
    That doesn't say much for his technique let alone his situational awareness.
    Spidey2011 likes this.

The point that seems to have been missed here is that your weapon beng detected by the wrong people under the wrong circumstances can cost you dearly.

Your weapon itself can be the target, and the scumbag who wants it by definition has the initiative. Ineffective concealment is somewhat akin to flashing your cash. I have to laugh at those wannabe's who insist they can conceal almost anything (They saw it in the Dirty Harry movies so it must be true!).

You can afford such a cavalier attitude toward concealment if the worst thing you may face is a request from a cop to see your permit when he makes you at the mall, but if you're totin' out of genuine necessity, you'd better learn that effective concealment AND quick accessibility are paramount, and far more important than how macho your gun is!
    Last edited by Glockwatcher; May 29th, 2011 at 02:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    That doesn't say much for his technique let alone his situational awareness.
    hehehehe yep I know. He's usually scary observant, but not when he's distracted.
    I tell him "I see everything" which isn't entirely true, but I guess I'm better at not getting so distracted by a conversation that I miss strange things happening around me. I see little animals that other people miss all the time, or that guy who pulled up to the pump at the gas station, went inside, came out and left without pumping gas....what was up with that? Probably nothing, but I saw it.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    I'm not sure whether to be sad or to feel pity for you.
    Don't, I'm in the process of moving.. doctor recommendation. I'm going to love being in a location that rarely gets above 75. Although with my current weight, OC will be more comfortable. :)
    Coming soon to a Montana near you!

Ive only met one person I know who CC's and thats cause he told me he was carrying a 5 inch 1911 (dukealmighty) Surprised me how unnoticed it was. Got me thinking of picking up my own 1911.
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    Gotta be careful looking for the CC'er. Someone might think you're looking at the rear-end!

I know what you mean, though. Once I'm carrying full-time, I'll be fighting myself to quit tugging at my cover garment!
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Since I started carrying a few years ago, I keep my strong arm low and weak arm high, when doing the greeting hug with women.

A few weeks ago, my wife and I into bumped into an elderly friend of hers. We did the hug. She looked shocked when her hand hit the holster on my weak side and asked, "Is that a gun?" I smiled and showed her, "No, it is my android smartphone." Her hands never got near the G30 on my strong side.

I mention this only to agree that people carry all sorts of stuff on their belts these days, and I suspect that odd bulges and bumps are assumed to be something harmless.

Quote Originally Posted by Spade115 View Post
    Ive only met one person I know who CC's and thats cause he told me he was carrying a 5 inch 1911 (dukealmighty) Surprised me how unnoticed it was. Got me thinking of picking up my own 1911.
    Gotta love that 1911!

It conceals all out of proportion to its caliber and barrel length.
    That's because the grip is disproportionately slim for a gun of its overall size and the slide protrudes less to the rear than striker-fired guns, It's 5" long barrel is far less critical to discreet carry as it sits neatly against the hip inside or outside the waistband. Shorten the grip and barrel a bit, and it gets even easier to hide.

The same goes for the .380 versions.

It's just that "Cocked and Locked" is not for me.

Saw this thread and it reminded me of one I posted of my own experience 3 years ago on here...

Not so friendly fellow CC'er encounter...
    "I'd rather have one and not need it, than need one and not have it!"

Not a very friendly CC'er. Way too hot headed.

I have seen a few OC'ers, and even been one myself a few times, though I prefer concealed. At the moment I am printing very badly, but am at home so it doesn't matter. When I go into town later, I will change shirts. I don't think I have ever been made, but that could be because no one has said anything.

I did see one guy carrying concealed last month at a Subway. As I was heading for the soda machine, a guy about in his early 20's was filling up. I immediately noticed two CB belt clips, even though they were black on a black belt. No one was close by, so I quietly said, "How to you like that Crossbreed Supertuck?" He looked surprised and smiled at me politely. I actually don't remember if he said anything. On the way out, after eating, I waved goodbye to the guy.

Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    When I became new to concealed carry, I was like a lot of newbies and thought there was a billboard sign pointing to the guy with the gun. I even began "looking" around at individuals to see if I could spot those who carry. So far, I have been unsuccessful in finding any.
    This sums it up for me. I have never been able to say 100 percent that someone was carrying concealed. Likewise as far as I know, no one has ever made me without having told the person I was armed. (all family)

Fortunately the legislature in Tennessee passed a "shall issue" Handgun Carry Permit law. Our Attorney General has ruled that because open or concealed are not specifically written in the law it is a "carry" permit. We are free to do either, although the majority CC. If it imprints or gets noticed then we are still within the law. A downside is signs prohibiting carry have the weight of law in TN.

Quote Originally Posted by Tala View Post
    ...or that guy who pulled up to the pump at the gas station, went inside, came out and left without pumping gas....what was up with that? Probably nothing, but I saw it.
    I do that all the time. Usually the worst thing I'm doing is buying lotto tickets.

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Glockwatcher View Post
    The point that seems to have been missed here is that your weapon beng detected by the wrong people under the wrong circumstances can cost you dearly.

Your weapon itself can be the target, and the scumbag who wants it by definition has the initiative. Ineffective concealment is somewhat akin to flashing your cash. I have to laugh at those wannabe's who insist they can conceal almost anything (They saw it in the Dirty Harry movies so it must be true!).

You can afford such a cavalier attitude toward concealment if the worst thing you may face is a request from a cop to see your permit when he makes you at the mall, but if you're totin' out of genuine necessity, you'd better learn that effective concealment AND quick accessibility are paramount, and far more important than how macho your gun is!
    Relax Francis

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links