"Being made" and noticing others who concealed carry

This is a discussion on "Being made" and noticing others who concealed carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I frequently hear folks on this, and other forums, comment that most people are too oblivious to notice that people are carrying concealed. In general, ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: "Being made" and noticing others who concealed carry

"Being made" and noticing others who concealed carry

I frequently hear folks on this, and other forums, comment that most people are too oblivious to notice that people are carrying concealed. In general, I would agree. However, there is another element to this. I'm moving to Oregon soon and was talking to my father-in-law about concealed carry there. He said he sees it all the time, no big deal. He said he notices most often at restaurants. Granted, he is a pretty observant guy. Nevertheless, I think we need to make allowance for the fact that our concealed weapons are noticed more often than we realize. I think there is a not-insignificant percentage of people out there who notice and don't care (not threatened by it, supportive of it, etc.). Just because people don't comment or react to a concealed weapon doesn't necessarily mean they don't notice.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    I'm not sure what your point is...

Should we be more concerned with concealment? Less concerned? Carry on as usual?

And if they notice or not, as long as it's legal, what's the problem?

I think we should carry on as usual. I would agree that if someone does notice, it's not really a problem. My reason for the comment was to give a different perspective on what those around us actually see. In reading the forums I get the impression that many of us feel that very few of those around us notice because they have "blinders" on. I'm only suggesting that people do occasionally notice.....and couldn't care less. In my father-in-laws case, he couldn't care less. His attitude was basically, why should I worry about someone who is going about their business just like everyone else?
    brylow, hienykins, Bark'n and 1 others like this.

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Certainly people on the "up and up" can pick out someone carrying easier then a common "sheeple". I've spotted folks wearing what are obviously gun belts, and even seen several folks with tucked in shirts and what appeared to be holster clips attached to it. I don't worry about it.

I do what I can to stay as concealed as possible, or as "least obvious" as possible. Pocket carry helps IMHO.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

It might be due to my military service, LEO service, security service, but I notice a lot of people who are cc'ing. I've been trained to look for weapons since I was 18 years old, too old to stop now.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I believe the whole intention of concealed carry is to conceal from those whom do not. After all are we not all trained observers.

I tried to sucker bet my wife one night (buy the pistol of my choice ) If I could pick out a concealed carrier before her. She said if talking about the jerk over there with the shorts, sandals; and the trap vest your on, I win, and were getting new end tables so move it along lover boy.

And we wern't even in Walley world.
    LET FREEDOM REIGN NOT GOVERNMENT

I think I should conceal to the best of my ability. If I unknowingly print so be it. Limatunes is correct. As long as you are legal go with it.
    " The illegal we do immediately. The unconstitutional takes a little longer." Henry Kissenger

I take reasonable precautions and beyond that, don't worry about i†.

If I notice it in others, I check out their dress and demeanor and go on about my business.
    Luis50, brylow, Bark'n and 2 others like this.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

RKM
    I carry concealed. If somebody sees it, I don't care. I've seen OC only once, unfortunately. I wish I'd see it more often. I've noticed CC only once, but only because the guy was decked out in tactical "casual" gear. Had a tacticool nylon gun belt with flashlight, a pocket knife (not always a certain sign of a CCer, but almost all CCer's have one) and shirt tucked in over a IWB holster I could see the clips and the way the belt went around the gun. It almost looked like he was trying to show off that he CC's. I didn't mention anything, because first of all why would I? Who cares? I was carrying my G30 IWB, though had a sweatshirt, which makes for much better concealment than a tucked in t-shirt.

I haven't noticed once anyone ccing in my life I am 36. I really havent looked either until about the past 3 months and I still havent noticed. I consider myself a decently smart guy also. I think most dont notice whatever and the ones that do will think your L.E.O.

I work for Wal-Mart. I've noticed eight or nine that I know are ccw'ing, but mainly it's because I ccw myself whenever possible. If I didn't know what to look for, most people would pass it by. I even pointed one out to a lady who works for me, and she never could pick it out. I catch myself favoring one side while carrying, keeping a hand on my jacket side, being careful on how I bend over, and kind of wonder why? Nobody will ever notice until it becomes very blatant.
    Cape Locum Et Fac Vestigium

I look for it all the time and I never see anyone who is obviously carrying concealed. Either it isn't that common in the places I frequent or they're well concealed. I do OC a couple times a week when I eat lunch out rather than at work. I don't have a tuckable IWB holster and I'm usually wearing dress pants, shirt and tie. I just put it at 3:00 with my cell phone clipped right in front of it and a vast majority of the time people either don't notice or dont' care. OC is legal here, so I don't worry about it. I was OCing Tuesday at a local pizza place at lunch and noticed a local LEO having lunch facing my right side about 10 feet away. Given my position he had to see my XD40sc and he apparently was fully aware of it being legal and showed no concern whatsoever. Neither did anyone else in the place. If you dress professionally and act professionally, no one will give OC much of a thought. If you dress like a thug and act like one, perhaps it may garner some negative attention. I never see anyone else in my area OC for that matter either. I am well aware of a lot of folks I know who keep a handgun in their car, but not on their person. I also know friends who have had their CHP for years and have never carried other than having one in their car. I don't get it, but to each their own.
    GoBigOrange and bwalker25 like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    I think only gun people will notice. Every one else won't.

I saw a Doctor I know well out one Saturday evening and the conversation was about society, drug problems, and the types of people he encounters at times that make him concerned about his safety given he can prescribe, but some folks aren't always happy with his choice of prescription. The conversation lead to discussions of self defense, guns, etc. He said he wanted to find someone to teach him about guns, shooting, and help him choose, etc. and I told him I would be glad to help him. I explained I grew up shooting and still shoot about 5,000 rounds a year and own numerous guns of various types, styles, sizes, and calibers and he was welcome to try them all and I would be glad to teach him about safety, shooting, Virginia laws on carry, etc. He asked if I had my permit and I said yes. He then asked, "You don't carry do you?" and I revealed my full size 1911 at 4:00 position (this was with shorts and a t-shirt on at the time). He said, "So THAT's why you always wear baggy shirts!!!" I said, "One reason." It was like I could see the light come on in his eyes. Then I showed him my S&W 442 in me left pocket, the 2 speed strips, and my 2 extra .45 mags in my back pocket along with my FLB and my pepper spray. He never had a clue.
    Erick46590 likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

When I became new to concealed carry, I was like a lot of newbies and thought there was a billboard sign pointing to the guy with the gun. I even began "looking" around at individuals to see if I could spot those who carry. So far, I have been unsuccessful in finding any. Some of my closest friends and associates carry and I seldom know they are doing it, even though I have the feeling they are. Nobody to this day has ever known when I do either. If they did, they never said a word.

That's the beauty of concealed carry, not knowing people are doing it. That way when the bad guy/person tries to commit a deadly crime, the surprise of not knowing is the ultimate reason why we do it.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links