Sheriff Joe Arpaio is my HERO - Page 2

Sheriff Joe Arpaio is my HERO

This is a discussion on Sheriff Joe Arpaio is my HERO within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My apologies too.......

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My apologies too....
    Mike Buesing
    Scottsdale, AZ

Assistant Administrator
    Thank you gentlemen - just trying to keep things cool.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

He WAS my hero until a few months ago (last year?) when that guy who was carrying openly (no permit to carry concealed) made a citizens arrest on some illegal aliens who tried to attack him at a rest stop.

Sheriff Joe arrested HIM, and put him in jail. And he also said some comments about vigilantes and people shouldn't take the law into their own hands and some other junk as well.

IF this guy was acting as a vigilante, ok, fine. But if he was doing as he said, defending himself, then detaining these ILLEGAL aliens for law enforcement, then I think Sheriff Joe owes him an apology.

The problem I have with the way Sheriff Joe runs his "jail," is this, EVERYONE is treated that way, including those who haven't been found guilty, but may be under indictment, awaiting trial, or who knows what.

I just think that if he wants to put convicted prisoners in his "jail" in the desert, wearing pink underwear and whatever else he makes them wear, eating bologna sandwiches, living in tents. That's fine. But the people who haven't been found guilty yet, should not be under the same treatment unless they are convicted in a court of law.

But that's just my opinion.

Center of the World Ma! Center of the World!
    I would trade our last three sheriffs for one Sheriff Joe anytime.
    "Hell of a thing, killin' a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."
    - William Munny (Clint Eastwood in the Unfrogivin)

“The graveyards are full of indispensable men.” – Napoleon Bonaparte

“My Idea of a fair fight is beating baby seals with a club”

Don't get me wrong on this one. I have no problem with the way he treats the convicted offenders. But he needs to recognize the difference between someone who's been convicted of a crime, and someone who is accused, but not yet convicted of a crime.

In my humble opinion that is.

Ok, I will try and be nice this time.

What was the reason he was arrested? According to the story he was arrested for taking the law into his own hands. If you live in AZ you would understand the hotbed of activity around illegals. The minutemen militia have caused a big stir. I'll not give an opinion on them. But suffice to say that this guy should have called 911 and found safety. BUT, he pursued them to their vehicle. Maybe that is where the issue is.

I know from my CCW training that I am allowed to defend myself and do NOT have to retreat. But, i'm pretty sure I do NOT have the right or law on my side if I pursue. The sheriff actually went so far as to say "he feels sorry for him". So, was the sheriff making an example of him? No, he was enforcing the laws on the books.

Also for the record, it happened over a year ago.

You decide. Here is the link to the article.

http://www.kvoa.com/Global/story.asp...av=menu216_2_1
    Mike Buesing
    Scottsdale, AZ

Personally, I really don't have a "side" here at all, I was just reading the above link and was stunned by something.
    This guy gave a second gun to a motorist who just happened to be there? Odd. If I were in any kind of incident, I don't believe I would hand a gun to someone I'd just met. Maybe the guy was just used to the military and figured another person there was on his side?
    Strange story.

It is a strange story indeed. Still, according to Haab, he pulled his gun because he thought they were trying to rush him. He went after them, basically conducting a "Citizen's Arrest." Now, I don't know how citizen's arrest laws work in Arizona, but depending on the location, you are entitled (in some cases, expected, if possible) to arrest someone if you believe they may be a danger to someone else after leaving your presence.

Did he take the law into his own hands? I don't know. Does anyone know how this ended?

I'll tell you what though. If it had happened to me, I might have done the same thing. With the exception of handing a gun to someone else I didn't know.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    I kinda like Joe as well. Yeah, I can see how people would consider him to be a media hound. But, I, as well as most Arizona residents, love the guy. He keeps prison costs down and I would be willing to bet the number of repeat offenders in his camps is going down.

A good friend of mine is a Sheriff for Yavapai County. He's done house calls, prison duty and other jobs for them. He LOVES Joe, and from what he says, as do almost off of his co-workers. I'll trust a LEO's community opinion on these guys. I get worried when I hear dissention.... like what the video portrayed from Los Angeles and its surrounding area.

I'm staying out of this one.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Hmm.... wonder why my buddy likes him so much, then? Prolly just because its a different county I guess.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links