LE knows when you CCW

This is a discussion on LE knows when you CCW within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If this has been brought up before, I apologize. If not, here's my query... I have read on many threads here and on other CCW ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LE knows when you CCW

LE knows when you CCW

If this has been brought up before, I apologize.

If not, here's my query...

I have read on many threads here and on other CCW related sites, that when pulled over by LEO and your info is called in to dispatch, they may inform the officer that you have a CCW and may be carrying.

What I want to know is, is this info given to the officer:

A) When the CCW is issued in the State you are stopped in? (i.e. Florida issued CCW, pulled over in Florida)

B) When the CCW is issued in a reciprocal state? (i.e. Florida issued CCW, pulled over in Arizona)

C) Only when you're pulled over in the State that your Driver's License is issued? (i.e. Florida issued CCW, pulled over in California)

D) When you are pulled over in ANY/EVERY state?

E) All of the above?

Thanks to all for your comments.

Wes.
    Always remember: 3 can keep a secret, if 2 are dead!

2. Remove Ads

It is only checked in indiana at least when the officer request a check for one. Some departments will advise the officer of a CCW only if it has been applied for through that department. I believe other states are the same way.

In Nevada it is put out only when pulled over in the state.

In South Dakota...

The State of South Dakota recognizes any valid concealed pistol permit issued to a nonresident of South Dakota according to the terms of its issuance in the state of its issue, but only to the extent that the terms of issuance comply with any appropriate South Dakota statute or promulgated rule. However, if the holder of such a nonresident permit to carry a concealed pistol becomes, at any time, a legal resident of South Dakota, the provisions of this section no longer apply.

Source: SL 2005, ch 123, 1.

The only way it comes up if you are a resident, is if you tell them, or they see it. If you are a nonresident, it would depend on your state law. If it is tied to your DL, it should come up when they run 28s and 29s.

Our permit is not tied to our DL, but it uses the DL#. If I tell them I'm carrying, they can check to make sure that it is valid. We are not required to tell them though.
    "Old Marines never die, we just smell like it." USMC 71'-83'

Stay Safe

In Arizona, when the officer runs your driver's license a comment is put on by MVD that says that you have a CCW. If anyone in Arizona with a CCW has been pulled over before, this is the reason why they will start to ask pointed questions about whether or not you have a concealed firearm and where your CCW permit is if you do.

Cheers.

Florida

I do not think that Florida LEOs know. I have been stopped twice by FHP since I've had my CWL. I didn't mention it either time, and neither officer mentioned it either.
    I have a Florida DL and CWL.
    Good luck.
    Sarhog
    NRA Life Member
    Northwest Florida Defensive Pistol Shooters Member
    Sarhog's gallery

VIP Member
    In Virginia they will only get a notice if you have a resident CHP. It appears on page two of a computer equipped car. Cars without computers will call you in and usually unless they ask for the CHP it is not provided, but that will vary by department. So far as I know all state patrol cars are equipped and a lot if not most sheriff's cars are, but that will vary by county. Cities and towns are a crap shoot.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Here in Texas, the information is made available to the officer when he runs your DL. However, since state law requires you notify the officer when he asks for identification, you should have already given him your CHL with your drivers license and told him if you are armed or not.

If you did not, or forgot, and he goes back to run your DL and he finds out that way, you can be charged for failing to tell him.

VIP Member
    Tennessee's new license plates have barcodes on them. Supposedly, LEOs will be able to scan the code (with a handheld unit? from the cruiser?) and get your entire driving record, criminal history, whether you have a handgun carry permit or not...who your great-great-grandmother's first two suitors were, etc.

Colorado some counties post it on your CBI.(colorado bureau of investigation)So it comes up when the LEO runs your lic. It depends on which county your CCW comes from.Jefferson is one of the worse.

The valley of the sun scorched earth(Phx,Az)
    Quote Originally Posted by soundwave
    In Arizona, when the officer runs your driver's license a comment is put on by MVD that says that you have a CCW. If anyone in Arizona with a CCW has been pulled over before, this is the reason why they will start to ask pointed questions about whether or not you have a concealed firearm and where your CCW permit is if you do.

Cheers.
    Are you sure? I've been pulled over twice(for speeding, coming down a hill ) and never once was asked about a gun or CCW permit, just DL, insurance & registration.
    NRA Life Member USCCA Member

Freedoms Precious Metals:Gold, Silver and Lead

"You may find me one day dead in a ditch somewhere. But by God, you'll find me in a pile of brass."~~ Tpr. M. Padgett

Kimber Tactical Pro II w/EE over 2000 rnds NO MALFUNCTIONS

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    AFAIK (based on old experience as a PO in MA), out of state info is rather sparse. So if someone in MA runs a HI reg/DL it is unlikely to pull up much more than name, address, valid or not.

Some states put CCW info on the DMV systems, others like MA do not. A specific query in MA would be required even for MA residents.

Some states require you to notify on any stop, others don't. In some states that don't if you mention it you are more likely than not going to find yourself proned out while chewing on asphalt (usually in states where the indoctrination is that "all guns in civilian hands are evil"). In other states, it's no big deal.

You need to know the laws of each state you travel in and the "normal expectations" for those states that don't require notification.

Another issue to address (based on the TX comment) is whether or not you must notify if you carry a permit from a reciprocal state even if not carrying a gun at the time. e.g. If I'm in TX and get stopped, I think my FL CCW allows me to carry in TX . . . do I legally need to notify if no gun is present? As you can see, it can get real complex real fast.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Colorado some counties post it on your CBI.(Colorado bureau of investigation)So it comes up when the LEO runs your lic.
    A small correction , Some countys in CO notify CCIC ( Colorado Crime Information Computer system which is administrated by CBI ) which then returns the info on any query from Law Enforcement inside Colorado . I am not sure to what extent CCIC shares this info with NCIC ( National Crime Information Computer system which is administrated by FBI ) but I would assume it is completely shared so if a state routinely advises the officer of ccw , well your Colorado would " hit " on the fact you have one . My county does not enter the data into CCIC and I am glad , but realistically its about the first thing I tell any officer contacting me , in any state , then I say hi and ask what the problem is , so I really don't have an issue with it either way .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

In Tennessee the DL number and CHP have the same number. Therefore the probability that the LEO has that information when checking your DL.

I stand CORRECTED!! Yea what Redneck says!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links