The best understanding of Anti gun folks.

This is a discussion on The best understanding of Anti gun folks. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Forgive me if this is in the wrong place but I read this today and feel I must share it. It is a VERY long ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: The best understanding of Anti gun folks.

Forgive me if this is in the wrong place but I read this today and feel I must share it. It is a VERY long read but helps me understand folks who don't believe in guns. It helped me a ton.
    In a gun fight, you can not miss fast enough, to catch up.

VIP Member
    I've read it before. I refuse to let someone else irrational fears dictate my life.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Sorry, but fourth line in:

"I'd rather be raped than have some redneck militia type try to rescue me."
    I bailed right there. If the author is going to lay down a strawman like that, it ain't worth the time. No woman (or guy for that matter) is ever going to state an argument based on a preference to be raped. That is made-up, imagined, and written by a person with a very tenuous grasp of reality.

Let's go further. I say that if you are a woman who is being raped, you will appreciate succor from any direction, regardless of the politics of your rescuer. So. If the author wants to start by painting the anti-gun community with false frames of that nature, then the continuing commentary will be nothing but that person enjoying the sound of their own voice.

As it happens, I have sympathy and understanding for the non-gun-owning community. I respect their position and do not seek to change their attitudes. My home is filled with all manner of weapons, and I train in the use of every one of them - from throwing knives to manriki-gusari, swords to firearms. In the event of trouble, I won't have to look far for something handy. And I understand that some people would not enjoy this kind of lifestyle. Coolio.

That's their right and their privilege. In a way, I envy them. They don't have to expend the time and effort necessary to prepare for a robust defense against the unexpected. Statistically, they'll be fine. Most will sail through life just fine. It won't be a mugger or serial killer or random crazy psycho with a gun who takes them out. For most, the biggest threat is a poor diet, bad genes, and a sedentary lifestyle.

And every one in 10,000 or so will be victimized by a violent criminal, but those are odds that the anti-gun community is comfortable with. I'm not going to argue with them. How you decide to live is your own personal choice. And I'm happy to report that a major piece of gun legislation has cleared the Florida house and senate: henceforth, if you are carrying concealed and accidentally display your firearm, no penalty. We can all live with one another and this is an example of how we work these things out.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post

I bailed right there. If the author is going to lay down a strawman like that, it ain't worth the time. No woman (or guy for that matter) is ever going to state an argument based on a preference to be raped. That is made-up, imagined, and written by a person with a very tenuous grasp of reality.

Let's go further. I say that if you are a woman who is being raped, you will appreciate succor from any direction, regardless of the politics of your rescuer. So. If the author wants to start by painting the anti-gun community with false frames of that nature, then the continuing commentary will be nothing but that person enjoying the sound of their own voice.

As it happens, I have sympathy and understanding for the non-gun-owning community. I respect their position and do not seek to change their attitudes. My home is filled with all manner of weapons, and I train in the use of every one of them - from throwing knives to manriki-gusari, swords to firearms. In the event of trouble, I won't have to look far for something handy. And I understand that some people would not enjoy this kind of lifestyle. Coolio.

That's their right and their privilege. In a way, I envy them. They don't have to expend the time and effort necessary to prepare for a robust defense against the unexpected. Statistically, they'll be fine. Most will sail through life just fine. It won't be a mugger or serial killer or random crazy psycho with a gun who takes them out. For most, the biggest threat is a poor diet, bad genes, and a sedentary lifestyle.

And every one in 10,000 or so will be victimized by a violent criminal, but those are odds that the anti-gun community is comfortable with. I'm not going to argue with them. How you decide to live is your own personal choice. And I'm happy to report that a major piece of gun legislation has cleared the Florida house and senate: henceforth, if you are carrying concealed and accidentally display your firearm, no penalty. We can all live with one another and this is an example of how we work these things out.
    Very well said and I couldn't agree more with you.

This is a ridiculous article written in a very dishonest way. Portraying anti-gun people as crazy delusional nut jobs. I happen to like guns but that doesn't mean everyone should and those that don't shouldn't be portrayed as the crazy enemy.
    shockwave likes this.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Actually, I've seen people who claim they would allow a loved one to be murdered rather than harm the attacker.
    It's outlandish and insane but there ARE some who think that way, if only in the hypothetical.
    So, it is an extreme example, but not entirely unheard of, and therefore NOT a "strawman".

Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    Very well said and I couldn't agree more with you.

This is a ridiculous article written in a very dishonest way. Portraying anti-gun people as crazy delusional nut jobs. I happen to like guns but that doesn't mean everyone should and those that don't shouldn't be portrayed as the crazy enemy.
    Wow, you guys really missed the boat on this one in my opinion. I read the whole thing and I think it is a very good article. And I too have had anti gun types tell me that they would rather be repeatedly raped or let a family member be murdered than to use a gun in defense or have someone use a gun to defend them. Those types are out there and I think they are more common than you might realize. Heck, we had a couple of threads about one that posts on YouTube regularly just last week. Here is a link to the thread with a link in it to his wacked out video: Crazy Anti-gun Logic

This article is well written and well thought out on how to win anti gun types over, or at least make them think about why they have the beliefs that they have.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    Wow, you guys really missed the boat on this one in my opinion. I read the whole thing and I think it is a very good article. And I too have had anti gun types tell me that they would rather be repeatedly raped or let a family member be murdered than to use a gun in defense or have someone use a gun to defend them. Those types are out there and I think they are more common than you might realize. Heck, we had a couple of threads about one that posts on YouTube regularly just last week. Here is a link to the thread with a link in it to his wacked out video: Crazy Anti-gun Logic

This article is well written and well thought out on how to win anti gun types over, or at least make them think about why they have the beliefs that they have.
    I Agree completely. Excellent article. Thanks for posting, OP.

"I'd rather be raped than have some redneck militia type try to rescue me."
    I bailed right there.
    If only you had read one more line, you probably would have kept reading.

How often have you heard these statements from misguided advocates of victim disarmament, or even
    woefully uninformed relatives and neighbors?
    I haven't had a chance to finish the article, but so far it's pretty good.
    Naufragia likes this.
    Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.
    - Mike Tyson

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    Systematically using a HG for SD, training and being cautious takes mastery of self in several areas. After all, guns are loud, scary and potentially dangerous. Some people are just unable to master those areas of themselves needed and therefore have a reaction formation opposing any and all HG.

I wonder what the person who wanted to be raped would say if a HG owner was found to be nearby and did nothing. I get the feeling, that this person, being a 'professional victim' would try to sue the HG owner for not coming to their aid. They lack a sense and a mastery of personal responsibility.

Criminals are anti guns too...anti "LEGAL" guns that is!

Defensive means is a personal choice. Guns aren't right for everyone. I would NEVER try to convince someone that a gun is right for them...yet, anti-gunners will try to not only convince me and everyone else that a gun isn't right for me, they will try to influence legislation to take that choice away from me. THAT is my issue with the antis. If it was just, "It's not for me" then that's fine. It's when it goes beyond that to, "It's not for me and it shouldn't be for anyone else either" that I take major issue with them.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Defensive means is a personal choice. Guns aren't right for everyone. I would NEVER try to convince someone that a gun is right for them...yet, anti-gunners will try to not only convince me and everyone else that a gun isn't right for me, they will try to influence legislation to take that choice away from me. THAT is my issue with the antis. If it was just, "It's not for me" then that's fine. It's when it goes beyond that to, "It's not for me and it shouldn't be for anyone else either" that I take major issue with them.
    Excellent logical reasoning for a good point!

A good article overall. It is somewhat negative, probably realistically so, in that it suggests that it would be a relatively long and drawn out process to change the mind of even a single antigun individual.

As BigDude mentioned, and not only relative to guns, some people are not satisfied controlling their own actions, but want to control the actions of others. Even if those actions are within the law.
    Naufragia likes this.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

No woman (or guy for that matter) is ever going to state an argument based on a preference to be raped.
    Really? Because that's the clear implication every anti-gun woman makes: that it is preferable to be raped than to have shot your attacker.

If you want to shut up an anti-gun woman, accuse her of making rape easier to accomplish. The cognitive dissonance it creates is an ugly sight.

The left is fine with sacrificing members of its preferred victim groups, so long as their frame ("redneck militia types" are illegitimate) can be maintained.
    I say that if you are a woman who is being raped, you will appreciate succor from any direction, regardless of the politics of your rescuer.
    She'll be back to slandering her rescuer the moment the attack is over. I've seen it. Not by name, but by their status as a private gun owner.

I spend a lot of time trying to "win the hearts and minds" of local antis every time there's an article or editorial or letter in our local paper which is anti gun. Many of them are THAT irrational (the "rape" comment Shockwave considers a straw man).

I have found that you cannot ever win one of these discussions with them. The best you can hope for, IMO, is that you can get them to realize that it is not WRONG for you to feel the way you do about defending yourself and your loved ones.

I do find it interesting that many of these antis who claim to be liberal and progressive and unprejudiced are actually the exact opposite when it comes to individual's rights. They stereotype all gun owners as violent nuts like (allegedly) Laughner, all CWP holders as deranged vigilantes, most who use a gun in actual self defense as murderers.

They seem to be as truly bigoted against anyone with a gun (except the authorities), as the stereotypical KKK member is about the black race. In many ways they are as crazy about it as Mayor Daley was in his tirade about guns and bayonets.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links