Driving FL to NJ

This is a discussion on Driving FL to NJ within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Federal law will cease to cover you when you cease your travel (i.e. in NJ). If NJ is your final stop and you get caught ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Driving FL to NJ

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    Federal law will cease to cover you when you cease your travel (i.e. in NJ). If NJ is your final stop and you get caught with a handgun there, you will be up that mythical creek without a paddle. Most of the LEOs I ever met from there are of that mindset that a firearm is one of the perks of the job, and are very much of the mind that only LEOs should be allowed to have a firearm.

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    Did SC change, or is FL resident OK? I checked before driving down from MD to FL, and at the time I couldn't carry through SC on my FL non-resident........
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Quote Originally Posted by redbeardsong View Post
    ...but deny others the right to do so.

I have a bone to pick with SC's gun laws. I grew up there, but my Georgia Weapons Carry License is not recognized there.
    Neither is my Alabama license. I wonder why?

Quote Originally Posted by SAR in FL View Post
    I'm from FL and driving up to NJ on Wednesday. I've got my CWFL and my Ruger LCP will be nicely concealed on my hip all the way through FL, GA, SC, NC, VA and MD to help protect me from BG's. But in DC, DE, and NJ I'd be the BG if she wasn't locked up and unloaded in my trunk! That kinda sucks!
    Be aware that your permit is no good in MD, my advice is when exiting VA stow the weapon, while you are ok in DE you are only in DE for about 15 minutes or so.

I am making the same trip tomorrow, I have a NJ firearms ID card and own a home in NJ so I should be ok in NJ as long as the gun is stowed in the car.

Be very careful in NJ, if you are not a resident and/or do not have a NJ firearms ID card you could find yourself in JAIL for weapons possession.

FWIW you should visit www.handgunlaw.us for info on the laws in the states you are passing through, for example in some states you must tell a cop you are armed if he stops you.

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    Did SC change, or is FL resident OK? I checked before driving down from MD to FL, and at the time I couldn't carry through SC on my FL non-resident........
    a fla RESIDENT permit is accepted in SC a person who is not a fla resident with a fla permit cannot carry concealed in SC. in other words you must be a fla resident with a cwfl to carry in sc

Dont go to NJ, spend your time and $$$ ELSEWHERE
    02PSD4ME

When I have to go to Jersey, I stop at a gun shop and drop the gun off to be cleaned . I usually do this in PA but DE gun shop will work. Tell them you will be back in x days to pick up. Works for me.

Just reiterating what many others have already stated...
    DON'T BRING YOUR PISTOL INTO JERSEY! It just isn't worth years of hard time in prison.
    This state is hardcore anti-gun/anti-gun owner.
    Our politicians/police/population are irrational when it comes to firearms.
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

Quote Originally Posted by Husker Sig View Post
    When I have to go to Jersey, I stop at a gun shop and drop the gun off to be cleaned . I usually do this in PA but DE gun shop will work. Tell them you will be back in x days to pick up. Works for me.

This is the only way to be legal and still be armed for the rest of your trip.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links