What exactly does "must inform officer" mean? - Page 5

What exactly does "must inform officer" mean?

This is a discussion on What exactly does "must inform officer" mean? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In MI, the MCRGO site is an excellent source of info. The MSP site - Proper Conduct During Encounters with Police is another (official) source ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: What exactly does "must inform officer" mean?

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    In MI, the MCRGO site is an excellent source of info. The MSP site - Proper Conduct During Encounters with Police is another (official) source of good cc info.

if you're being detained
    outside of them speaking with you in the official capacity i wouldnt worry about it
    -Jim

Two times that I have been involved with Police after gaining a Concealed Pistol/Revolver License from WV. I have not informed the Officer even though I had a concealed handgun in my possession at the time.

First one was in Floyd Co. Indiana, where you are not required to reveal you have a permit and or firearm. Got a $125 dollar speeding ticket. Probably would not have made any difference because the Trooper was pulling over just about anyone who was passing his "point" over 55mph.

Second one recently passing through a DUI Checkpoint with Huntington, WV's finest manning the post. I was coming home late from playing some music (drummer, singer) and went through their thing. Officer came up to my truck window. I had my hands on the steering wheel but he did not ask for ID. I had my .25 acp pop gun in my map pocket but declined to offer the LEO my permit or tell him I had it and a pistol in my vehicle. West Virginia does not require it and unless I felt that it would be necessary, I'm not telling.

Is this dishonest? Am I hiding the fact that I am legally carrying and if I do not have to inform by law and I don't, am I considered wrong? Don't think so. The law is the law and I abide by whatever the law will be in that state.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    Second one recently passing through a DUI Checkpoint with Huntington, WV's finest manning the post. I was coming home late from playing some music (drummer, singer) and went through their thing. Officer came up to my truck window. I had my hands on the steering wheel but he did not ask for ID. I had my .25 acp pop gun in my map pocket but declined to offer the LEO my permit or tell him I had it and a pistol in my vehicle. West Virginia does not require it and unless I felt that it would be necessary, I'm not telling.
    To be fair, it was a .25 ACP...
    JoJoGunn likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob O View Post
    From the NC Dept. of Justice Firearms Website:
    To possess a concealed handgun in North Carolina, you must:
     Carry your permit and a valid form of identification with you at all times.
     Disclose the fact that you have a valid concealed handgun permit when you are approached or addressed by any law enforcement officer in North Carolina.

So it seems that you must inform of the permit not the firearm - strange...

Bobo
    I believe you are mistaken, the language here "fails to disclose to any law enforcement officer that the person holds a valid permit and is carrying a concealed handgun" seems to infer that the announcement is only required if the person is "carrying". It appears that this is widely misunderstood but I think the statute is clear.
    Below is the full statute in its entirety from the North Carolina General Assembly website.

" 14-415.21. Violations of this Article punishable as an infraction.
    (a) A person who has been issued a valid permit who is found to be carrying a concealed handgun without the permit in the person's possession or who fails to disclose to any law enforcement officer that the person holds a valid permit and is carrying a concealed handgun, as required by G.S. 14-415.11, shall be guilty of an infraction and shall be punished in accordance with G.S. 14-3.1. In lieu of paying a fine the person may surrender the permit.
    (b) A person who violates the provisions of this Article other than as set forth in subsection (a) of this section is guilty of a Class 2 misdemeanor. (1995, c. 398, s. 1; 2011-268, s. 21(a).)"

MAG
    Last edited by Magnus0n; January 18th, 2014 at 12:03 AM.

It should Always be mentioned when a LEO has pulled you over IMHO.

PM
    IT means that during an official interaction (LEO pulled you over; you are reporting a crime; if they are going to find out by running you through the data base with you DL) then you need to say 1) I have a permit to carry and I am carrying or 2) I have a permit to carry and I am not carrying. The last one is that way the LEO does not run your DL and in my case sees the purple frame on the computer screen/gets informed there is a purple frame on the dispatchers screen. Thus causing a raise adrenaline level and VERY MAD; VERY PARANOID LEO returning to my car!

I wonder if the OP went to school in China or Cuba?
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by randian View Post
    When you're in the same room as the officer? In the same line at McDonald's? Only when in direct conversation?

"Excuse me sir, your fly is open. Oh by the way, now that I'm talking to you I am required by law to inform you (and raise your adrenaline level) I am carrying a concealed firearm". Hmm, I fail to see any good side to this. In practice, do CCW holders really make such disclosures even in casual interactions?
    Give me a break!!!

Mrt
    Correct hand DL Chl and say nothing ansew his questions once the info is given the officer should be more relaxedad and calm that you are not a threat

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Sponsored Links