Safe at church.

Safe at church.

This is a discussion on Safe at church. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This weekend was my church's "Man Camp" weekend. Thirty of us got together for bible lessons, hand gun shooting, archery, skeet shooting and paintball. The ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Hiram25

Thread: Safe at church.

Safe at church.

This weekend was my church's "Man Camp" weekend. Thirty of us got together for bible lessons, hand gun shooting, archery, skeet shooting and paintball. The group included about 12 young men 11 to 17 years old that we were teaching how to be responsible Christian men.

I had asked the minister last year on his thoughts about carrying concealed at church and his reply was that he would welcome it. I also learned last year that one of the church elders also carrys.

I thought it would be best to tell the minister that I was indeed carrying every Sunday just to make it official. When I told him he said that's fine. He also told me that he has given seven people permission so far.

I learned that one of the newer members that was there this weekend was one of them when he showed me his Kahr 9mm that he says he wears everyday in his Smart Carry.
    Another member that was there has his permit but doesn't have a holster for his XD 40 caliber.

I shot both the Kahr and the XD. I thought the XD trigger was nice but that the Kahr was a little spongy.

The minister shot my Glock 27 and the others and is trying to decide what he wants to buy. I tried to talk him into the Glock but he felt the grip was to small on my G27 for his large hands. I showed him the mag extensions so at least he got some good information.

Safety begins in the mind; and includes both the will to stay safe and the heart of a warrior with the simple love of a brother.
    One should never confuse good fortune with good training.
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum.
    In God we trust.

GM
    Good that your minister is pro-gun; it surely makes everything easier . Did you already ask him to bless your G-27?
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

I carry at church and anywhere else that's legal. I also avoid anyplace where it is restricted if at all possible.
    BugDude and Ghettokracker71 like this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

My preacher was unfortunate in having his car/garage burglarized, not once but twice. The second time he confronted the BG with a baseball bat. Luckily things turned out favorably for him, in spite of his actions. In a discussion, after the fact, he happened to mention to myself and my Sunday School teacher that he really needed to go shooting and see about purchasing a home defense weapon. I took that opportunity to offer to take both individuals to the range. Subsequently, my Sunda School teacher has now gotten his CWP and I assisted him in purchasing his first semiauto (took him to a reputable local gun shop). The preacher is still looking to purchase a good semiauto. He does have a revolver. AND, in the meantime, after spending about 3 hours with me on the range, he is comfortable in my firearm knowledge, ability, and safe handling and gave me permission to conceal carry in church. Now to get him on the stick to get his CWP!!! All in all a great experience...
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

As a minister myself yes I do but haven't told the pastor or anyone else! That's the idea of conceal carry. Yes we have some recent vets and they are pro gun but don't carry anywhere. Some just don't realise that trouble can come from any where or person.

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Sounds like a great church to be a part of ! Do you mind if I ask what kind of church is it,...I wish my Catholic church would do this. I'd sign up in a minute!

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

My uncle is a minister and he does not go anywhere without a pistol on him. He gets up in front of his church every Sunday with his pistol concealed on him. He came to a Utah class we were having and brought me a can of pepper spray and a boot knife as payment because I told him family did not have to pay for the class. He is one of he greatest people I have ever known in my life!
    Firearms Training of Western New York
    http://www.ftwny.com
    716-903-2558

Quote Originally Posted by FTWNY View Post
    My uncle is a minister and he does not go anywhere without a pistol on him. He gets up in front of his church every Sunday with his pistol concealed on him. He came to a Utah class we were having and brought me a can of pepper spray and a boot knife as payment because I told him family did not have to pay for the class. He is one of he greatest people I have ever known in my life!
    SOME preachers are like that! ;-)
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Ghettokracker71 View Post
    Sounds like a great church to be a part of ! Do you mind if I ask what kind of church is it,...I wish my Catholic church would do this. I'd sign up in a minute!
    It is an Evangelical Free Church. It was founded by a group of Swedish immigrants. I don't really know the history of the denomination, but the people there are really friendly and devout.

The Bible is very clear about defending yourself and your family. My gun at church everytime I am.

We had a Dr. shot at his church here in KS a few years ago. Evil people go to great lengths to do their deeds.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ConcealedG30 View Post
    We had a Dr. shot at his church here in KS a few years ago. Evil people go to great lengths to do their deeds.
    Yes they do and yes he did.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

As a Pastor with a CHL I carry all the time, everywhere it is legal.

Our church is very CHL friendly with many CHL holder, and a good part of those with CHLs carry full time and at church.

I realized that while preaching from the pulpit I am about the only person facing the back door as the congregation faces me.

Literally I have their backs and take this responsibility seriously,

One faithful lady in our congregation said "If a shooter ever came into the church she was going to get down and move to my wife because she has her CHL and gun,"

A few weeks ago she showed up with her CHL and new carry she is so proud of.

Wife and I stopped by her home on church business and she proudly showed us her new carry, we invited her and husband to go to range with us.

She went from being a sheep, to becoming a protector of herself and the sheep around her.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Sponsored Links