NAA mini-revolver 22 mag vs .380 mini auto for ccw

This is a discussion on NAA mini-revolver 22 mag vs .380 mini auto for ccw within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In another thread the question was "Do you thinik he is being realistic in using a .22 for SD?" JD said: Originally Posted by JD ...

Thread: NAA mini-revolver 22 mag vs .380 mini auto for ccw

In another thread the question was "Do you thinik he is being realistic in using a .22 for SD?"

JD said:
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    My biggest issue with .22s are unreliable ammunition. Now if we're talking about a .22 Magnum revolver, I might me more apt to accept it, but in an auto...no way. .22 Ammo has just always been too inconsistent in ignition for me to take seriously. I've had mis-fires from almost every type of ammunition I've ever tried regardless of quality.
    On another board someone said:
    ... If you think you can only carry a ... due to its size, etc., look at an NAA mini-revolver. Using the oversized rubber grips, you'll have five rounds of 22 mag. It can be carried in any location due to its size, and the ammo allows up to 1100 fps out of a 1-5/8" barrel. Tiny, and doesn't weigh more than your wallet. JMHO
    How do you think the NAA compares, as a practical ccw (either as a BUG or primary), with one of the tiny new .380s such at the Keltec p3at or the Ruger lcp?

Ken

Even the Kel-Tec P32 loaded with Winchester Silvertips would be better than a 22 mag!!!! The NAA minis are a great novelty item and .22 in the right spot could kill, but they are a pain to reload and rather anemic. I doubt you could find one CHL instructor that would advise it...
    “Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.” Han Solo

I like shooting my friend's NAA 22mag at the range, but only as a range toy. I would trust my LCP as a BUG way more than a single action 22mag revolver.

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    I wouldn't want to have to try to manipulate a single action revolver in a SD situation. My p3at holds shoots a more powerful round, holds more rounds, is easier to reload, and easier to fire. And extremely easy to conceal.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

I carry a NAA 22 Mag when I feel I just can't carry anything else, but I really can't recommend it. It is very difficult to aim reliably and I have had the ammo fail to discharge more than once. I look at it as just a little bit better than nothing. It is very loud, so it might cause someone with a knife to reconsider. I think of it as a criminal discouragement tool. Much beyond point blank it isn't very practical for actual defense.

I have a couple of NAAs, I have carried one as a BUG and my ex carried one as an LEO until her department changed the rules on BUGs. They make ok BUGs, but not primary CCWs unless you are stuck wearing a Speedo or something. There are plenty of holster and carry options to carry a bigger gun in any kind of dress.

The most user friendly NAAs are the "Black Widow" .22mag and the regular .22lr with the folding holster/grip. Replace the big Black Widow grip with a stock wood grip for concealment and take advantage of the better sights. Ex carried the folding grip version in a handcuff case on her duty belt. I've never had trouble with reliability but some loads would keyhole in the .22lr gun. At 5 feet that might be a stopping power advantage.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Links