Wisdom, knowledge and the amount of time spent on DC

This is a discussion on Wisdom, knowledge and the amount of time spent on DC within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I agree 100%. Anyone who comes to this site with an open mind is going to learn many things. The ones who come here, thinking ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Wisdom, knowledge and the amount of time spent on DC

VIP Member
    I agree 100%. Anyone who comes to this site with an open mind is going to learn many things.

The ones who come here, thinking they know everything and refuse to learn from the knowledge of others, that will soon disappear, and tell friends and aquaintances that the site is a waste of time. They're also the ones, that sooner or later we will be reading about and discussing the stupid thing they've done.
    BugDude likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

I feel the same way. I have benefitted immensly from the collective experience and knowledge represented by the fine member of this forum. I have matured in many ways in the couple years I have been coming here in more ways than just SD. My wife had noticed a change in me some time after getting my CHP and she asked me one day why I didn't drink anymore, go out to some of the places I used to go, hang out with some of the people I once did, I was much more polite, reserved, in how I interacted with others, how I drove, etc. She asked me what had promted the slow and subtle changes into the one day she noticed the changes were not so subtle. That's when I explained that I now had the responsibility of posessing lethal force and the standards from both a personal responsibilty and legal standpoint. Situational awareness, avoidance, de-escalation, and how situations can lead to defensive situations.

I decided to carry a gun to protect my family, the last thing I want to do is put them at risk and harm by doing something stupid with it. She was very impressed that I had taken so much time to learn, train, and prepare not only in my technical abilities, but my knowledge and most importantly my wisdom on the subject. To that, I thank all of you.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I should have not learned anything here, according to my wife..................I know everything!
    Ghettokracker71 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by KWAG View Post
    I should have not learned anything here, according to my wife..................I know everything!
    I told my wife the other night, "I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken....."
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by coroner12 View Post
    I'm new here and this is my first post. Recently a LEO in my town was shot and killed and another serious wounded by a true bad guy, happening about 1 mile from my house. I made the decision to obtain my carry permit, purchase a CCW and learn all I could about my responsibilities if I should ever use it. This forum has been a great education. I'm now convinced that even though I think of myself as one of the good guys, if I used my weapon in SD I would probably be at least put through the ringer or even arrested and stand trial. I must try to do everything right and that may mean walking (running) away. The thought of injuring an innocent bystander almost makes me think the running part is the best option.
    Welcome. I'm just down the road a little ways in Dacula. The event you refer to where the officers were shot and the following multiday manhunt were the turning point when SWMBO stopped looking at me funny with my holster on in the house and started wearing her's all the time.

This website is great, and a treasure trove of knowledge on most things self defense. You can ask a question about almost anything SD related, and someone knowledgeable with experience will have a quality answer for you. The posers, and internet commandos, tend not to last very long around here, and I think that is a good thing, as a SD scenario is about the most serious thing that can happen to somebody, and will be a life altering event. So internet bravado (which happens to be about the same as crappy pick-up line bravado), needs to find a different place to call home.

I cringe at some of the things I posted when I first joined this website. I actually joined when I was 21, right about the time my CHL was freshly minted, was working as a bouncer at college, and was greener than grass. I have learned, and continue to learn a great deal of knowledge on here. I like how there tend to be people who are very knowledgeable in their own area of SD/firearms, and when you add them all together on here, they have just about everything covered.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I knew nothing and probably still don't know nearly enough.
    The voice of wisdom. I endeavor to cultivate this mindset.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    This site is full of very knowledgeable individuals and like minded people. It has been very beneficial to me and I've learned a lot. I remember my very first post its on a gun I was considering carrying. I liked the looks of it but thats all I knew about it, never shot it, read reviews or anything. I came on here and asked about it and got great responses, not derogatory just along the lines of think about it and its practical use is it really for you? I thought about it and it wasn't. Glad I didn't buy the junk piece.

I was lucky in that my wife and I had an exceptionally well qualified and knowledgeable instructor for our CHL class. Although I had owned and shot a variety of firearms since I was a kid, I have always felt I can learn something new every day. Our instructor gave us a list of a few websites at the end of the class. DC was one of them. I have learned a tremendous amount about a variety of subjects here, and have become hooked! It is the one site I check almost every day. I look forward to continuing to learn from the knowledgeable and friendly folks here and hope I have been able to contribute a bit to others as well.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    When I moved to KY after meeting my (then) future wife, she said "let's get our CCW". I said cool, so we purchased firearms and took the class, put on our holsters and weapons and said "we're ready to go!".

Wrong

I then found this site and learned how ignorant and unprepared we really were. I am not saying that we are experts now, but we are better prepared and more aware of our surroundings. A special thanks to all the gals who post, their insight into the special issues confronting women who carry has been especially helpful for my better half (and she truly is).

I do, however, hold all of you responsible for my expanding collection of firearms and accessories. I do accept PayPal...
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

3D
    Late to this thread but not too late to add my very deep gratitude to all the members who have given me sooooo much!_________Thanks!

Appreciate you bringing it up atctimmy.
    "It is easier to resist at the beginning than at the end"____Leonardo da Vinci 1452-1519

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CowboyColby View Post
    This site is full of very knowledgeable individuals and like minded people. It has been very beneficial to me and I've learned a lot. I remember my very first post its on a gun I was considering carrying. I liked the looks of it but thats all I knew about it, never shot it, read reviews or anything. I came on here and asked about it and got great responses, not derogatory just along the lines of think about it and its practical use is it really for you? I thought about it and it wasn't. Glad I didn't buy the junk piece.
    The problem is, I find that there are fewer and fewer of us like-minded people (voters) out there. We need to get the word farther out!

I joined this thread when my Marine/shooting buddy passed away, in an effort to find others to talk with and sort of fill the gap that my buddies death left in my life. You see, I am not the type of person who has alot of people I associate with, and probably only one real friend left. I have always put emphasis on quality over quanity, friends included .

With this forum I have found much, much more than I expected, it's like a whole new family.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I have a bit of a different perspective. I was highly active in CCW politics long before I could even get a license myself, for a while heading up the Oklahoma arm of Students for Concealed Carry on Campus. I knew a whole lot about OK laws, SCOTUS cases etc. Even still, after coming here I've learned a lot about the philosophy of carrying, carry/shooting techniques and post-shooting actions, should the need ever arise. I think everyone has something to learn, and this is a heck of a place to do it.

Coincidentally, my only infraction on the forum was for comparing someone to Gecko45.

My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    defiantly a leaning curve when you join a forum.
    Last edited by claude clay; May 9th, 2011 at 10:39 PM.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links