Wisdom, knowledge and the amount of time spent on DC

This is a discussion on Wisdom, knowledge and the amount of time spent on DC within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was reading some of my old infractions today and that led me to read many of my older posts. Posts that dated back to ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Wisdom, knowledge and the amount of time spent on DC

VIP Member

I was reading some of my old infractions today and that led me to read many of my older posts. Posts that dated back to when I first came to DC. Do you know what I learned?

I learned that, before I knew about this website, I was an idiot. I had been carrying a gun for years but I was not well versed in SD law. If I had ever had to use my CCW I would probably have gone to prison for some stupid mistakes.

First, I probably would have kept shooting the BG until I knew the BG was dead. Now I know to "stop the threat".

Second, I would have talked to the police thinking it was cool to do so (because , hey I'm a good guy. Right?).

Third, I would not have reflected on how serious a SD shooting really is and the years of legal/financial stress that my family and I would incur. At that time I had a much more aggressive attitude. Aggressive attitudes and SD don't really mix too well.

Lastly, I would have had no qualms about shooting someone while still trying to break into my house. I know now to call 911 and let my walls and doors do the job they were intended to do. Keep bad people out that is. Now I know it's only AFTER breaching a door or window that I would be legally justified in taking a life in my state.

So to the folks here at DC I say thanks for giving me some great feedback, a healthy dose of practical knowledge and wisdom.
    JoJoGunn, Ally, red13 and 2 others like this.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

VIP Member
    Good points. I'm also amazed at some of the dumb things that I've posted here.

My problem is a large ego, which doesn't lend itself to being very useful when learning new stuff. Most of my firearms knowledge and experience was only going to land me in jail in the civilian world.

Thank you all for your patience.

You know Timmy, I kind of feel that way too. I believe I was vastly uninformed about Concealed Carry, the laws concerning it and just stuff in general. However, this forum has put some enlightenment into this vessel obviously devoid of knowledge about the subject.

It's kind of a quasi-family-type atmosphere, even when we really are not personally acquainted with folks here. It does reinforce my faith in humanity and that yes, it does exist out there somewhere.

I too am thankful for all the input from the gang here at DC.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

DC is an excellent site. There is plenty of good information to learn here if one so chooses.

I am sure that if any of us who have participated on the forum for any length of time went back and reviewed some of our old posts we would find some that we may not agree with 100% today. Whether our mindset has been altered by other members of this forum, personal experience or outside training, all of it will be helpful to us in the long run.

Although some of my views have changed a bit, there are some core views that I can not waiver on. Thankfully I live in an area where citizens are not required to back down for criminals.

Depending on where we are from, we may have some very different views on what we can or would do in a SD situation. Even if you find yourself on the opposite side of the issue as another member on this forum, the one thing you can count on is that in most cases the arguments will be fairly well thought out and have some basis for that posters views. They should not be discounted just because you don't agree. Even without agreeing, there might still be something to learn.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I certainly understand...a great site with a ton of info. I learn something every time I visit.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    +1. Me too.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

VIP Member
    + +++++++++1

I knew nothing and probably still don't know nearly enough. But I certainly learned a few things. Actually, more than a few things, quite a great deal.

Example, the utility of one handed ambidextrous point shooting.
    Not going after the trouble, waiting for it to come to you and MYOB if possible.

No CC badge; honest, at one time I thought it was cute and only didn't buy one because I am basically a penny pincher.

I don't have time to tell it all.

I've learned some things I wish I hadn't known, specifically how paranoid some participants seem to be, or how quick they proclaim themselves willing to use lethal force when, in a couple of instance, driving away would do nicely.

I've learned some in the threads with H2H content.
    shockwave likes this.

It just goes to show, there is no such thing as a stupid question. The forum here is great for that. Personally, its a great starting point to learning and continued learning. We all benefit from that. Timmy, good points to ponder.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

I personally am glad that I stumbled across this forum prior to attaining my CCW

I have only been on here for a few days and I feel as though I know so much more than the average citizen. Thank you all so much already and I plan on learning a great deal more!

I'm new here and this is my first post. Recently a LEO in my town was shot and killed and another serious wounded by a true bad guy, happening about 1 mile from my house. I made the decision to obtain my carry permit, purchase a CCW and learn all I could about my responsibilities if I should ever use it. This forum has been a great education. I'm now convinced that even though I think of myself as one of the good guys, if I used my weapon in SD I would probably be at least put through the ringer or even arrested and stand trial. I must try to do everything right and that may mean walking (running) away. The thought of injuring an innocent bystander almost makes me think the running part is the best option.
    QKShooter likes this.

+1 for me too atctimmy!
    " The illegal we do immediately. The unconstitutional takes a little longer." Henry Kissenger

Administrator
    I am constantly learning from all of your mistakes.

well said. I don't even like to think about how I used to carry before getting a little educated. Still learn new things nearly every time I come on here.
    Anybody can get scared, but you must absolutely not let that affect your behavior. Cowardice kills. -Jeff Cooper

I always like to think I can learn something from everyone (even if it is what not to do ). I've learned a lot by "listening" to conversations and have found great references to other information. I'm still a Probie here but I hope I've at least made someone smile.

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    +1

Information I've gained through DC.com has changed the way I think , and view things.

I learned what the term "grey man" means, and why its important to be one.

I also agree about posts made when first joined-I'm amazed at the knowledge,and resources that have been presented as a result of being on DC.com.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links