kids moving to DC area

This is a discussion on kids moving to DC area within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My daughter & hubby are moving to the DC area. Never been there; never wanted to go. But, I will now be visiting and will ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: kids moving to DC area

kids moving to DC area

My daughter & hubby are moving to the DC area. Never been there; never wanted to go. But, I will now be visiting and will take in some sites while there. Never looked at the CCW laws for DC, but better brush up. Is it even legal there. I know they have tight control. I'll be researching on other sites but want to also know the "practical" side from those who have been.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    'Just got back from vacation there. I basically disarmed and relied on common sense. Just having a little situational awareness puts you way ahead of almost everyone around you, who is walking around with Ipods plugged into their heads. We took the metro everywhere and found that to be the most proficient method for getting around. I did spot a few predators, who preferred not to return my usual nod and a smile.

Here is a thread that ran a bit ago about traveling to DC. In my response there are links to DC and NRA sites dealing with DC gun laws.

Traveling next month. need some advice
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

VIP Member
    Be best if the kids live in VA, but leave the weapon out of DC. Heller notwithstanding, the 2A does not seem to apply there.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    'Just got back from vacation there. I basically disarmed and relied on common sense. Just having a little situational awareness puts you way ahead of almost everyone around you, who is walking around with Ipods plugged into their heads. We took the metro everywhere and found that to be the most proficient method for getting around. I did spot a few predators, who preferred not to return my usual nod and a smile.
    Just got back Sunday from there. ^^^^^^^ This is pretty much right. No food or liquids in the Capitol or National Archives, nothing pointy or sharp everywhere, no firearms or ammo anywhere. I carried a Maxpedition Sitka Sling Pack with our rain jackets, money and a small first aid kit, writing tablet etc. Do your research ahead and find out what time the things open and close. Some things require advance tickets but are free, such as the Capitol, and Holocaust Museum. Easiest way for Capitol is to call your rep or senator and have them set up a tour in capitol and House and Senate Gallery for you.

News story while we were there told of how city gov is making it so hard for businesses that register firearms in city to stay compliant that they are going belly up. Hard to own a gun let alone CCW. Be ready to be searched and screened everywhere you go. All museums have "special police" armed and patrolling, and running scans at front door.

Bring good walking shoes, and just keep your head on the swivel and you should be OK
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I lived in, or around the city for over 20 years, often traveling by foot or metro late at night. Never felt the need for a gun, nor did anyone I know have an incident. That's not an argument about carry, just pointing out the statistical likelihoods - pay attention to the cars and bike couriers, as they pose far more of a threat to you while you are there. And exploding man-covers and open grates (a lot of businesses receive their merchandise down stairs into a basement, and so sometimes leave open grates that are on the sidewalk - plenty of injuries have happened by the unobservant).

Otherwise, any site you plan to take in will almost certainly be filled with other people, especially if you stay in the NW and SW parts of DC. If you venture into NE or SE, well, things can get dicey, though not so much at the usual tourist sites in those areas.

Millions and millions of people live and work there every day - the murders you read about are mostly people involved in trafficking drugs. Recognize that my first paragraph is entirely serious - traffic is both heavy and fast, and as a tourist walking around it'll catch you unawares. Certainly every risk to limb I ever experienced there was due to traffic and poor infrastructure, not humans. You could, of course, change those odds real fast should you venture into an open drug selling market at 3am with expensive cameras dangling around your neck. But you ain't going to be doing that!

There are some muggings and such late at night on the mall. With that said, being on the mall at night, with all of the monuments all lit up, is an unforgettable experience, and not to be missed. I spent many a night just walking through there when I lived there, just admiring it. You will be passed by single female joggers, families with children, etc - this is not a war zone, though it is a place where I turn up awareness, and wouldn't venture into a dark corner. The place still gives me the chills - the founding area of the nation. Everything in our lives entails some risks and rewards, IMO, and DC is a pretty amazing place to visit if you are moved by our country's history. Watch out for cars and bicycles disobeying traffic signals (I'm serious, everyone disregards red lights, especially in the traffic circles), and you will be fine.

Since I am a brand new member here, let me point out I am a huge fan of carry, but if your primary concern about safety in DC is carry, you are missing the real threats - cars, bicycle couriers, and holes in the ground. I seriously can't tell you the number of times I've had to jump out of the way of cars. Mugged? Never? Threatened? Nah. Had to swerve/avoid a few drunk/intoxicated panhandlers? Sure.

The thread linked to above covered the basics - lots of screening going on - even if it was legal for you to carry, it would prove impossible as a tourist unless you just want to stand outside of windows and peer into places like the Smithsonian, Congress, The White House, etc. Expect to have your personal belongings searched in many places, and to go through metal detectors in others. Parking garages attached to federal buildings will search your car like you are going onto a military base - mirrors under the car, you have to open the trunk, etc. Basically like going to your local courthouse - you have to be unarmed.

I live in northern VA and look at DC from my office window...its a great place to visit but I will not live in DC...

Live here and your SA goes way up...I work on a federal facility in VA so I can't carry to work...

If I can be of further help, don't hesitate to PM me....
    VCDL Member
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Theodore Roosevelt

Maryland is a no carry zone. So be careful using the beltway. Also you can be in Maryland using some of the city streets in DC before you know it. All of the above is good info. Have fun!
    Semper Fi

Lead Moderator
    Just to go to the absolute basics of the DC area..... From worst to best.

DC, can't carry or own with out major effort. Right now you can't even register a handgun in DC because the ONE guy who did it lost his lease. Most types of weapons somehow restricted.

MD, you can own, but carry is just about impossible. (moving into the state you can bring all your weapons with you, and there is no required registration.)

VA, both own and carry.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    News story while we were there told of how city gov is making it so hard for businesses that register firearms in city to stay compliant that they are going belly up.
    Not exactly correct. There is only one gun dealer in DC at present. He announced he intends to move his business location. Nobody is presently going belly up because of new laws/etc.

New gun businesses, and this guy who is moving for that matter, are affected by zoning regulations. These regs make opening a new business very difficult.

As Far As I'm Concerned..

D.C. is a good place to be from.. as far from as you can get!

My 2A rights (and being able to self protect), are far more important to me than living/visiting D.C. If D.C. feels I'm not good enough to be there with my M40.. then as far as I'm concerned, D.C.'s not good enough for me to be there in the first place.

FireStar M40
    Old School likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by FireStar M40 View Post

My 2A rights (and being able to self protect), are far more important to me than living/visiting D.C. If D.C. feels I'm not good enough to be there with my M40.. then as far as I'm concerned, D.C.'s not good enough for me to be there in the first place.

FireStar M40
    Well said sir. Welcome to the forum.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FireStar M40 View Post

FireStar M40
    I agree. I was there on vaca because I wanted my boy to have the experience as part of his upbringing. Now that we checked that off the list, I won't be back.

What they all said above. Personally, I'm on the VA side and I'll keep my District of Crime site seeing limited to above the high water mark on the VA land side and google earth.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

I grew up in the DC area, in-laws in Northern Va and I grew up in Bethesda, MD. Overall, DC and surrounding suburbs is one of the most wealthy areas in the country. The city proper of DC is divided into 4 "quarters", one is very affluent and the other-typically inner city. DC is not nearly as bad today as when Rayful (sp?) Edmund rain the crack trade under Mayor Berry a million years ago. IMO, Philly, Baltimore, Detroit....are many times more dangerous. Plus DC does have a lot to offer. If your kids have good common sense, they will be fine. Now as being a friendly carry area? VA is the state to live in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links