Unarmed in NY

This is a discussion on Unarmed in NY within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi All, Wrote a few months ago before I moved to NY...asking questions etc, etc, etc. Anyway, just thought I'd give an update. I moved ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unarmed in NY

Unarmed in NY

Hi All,
    Wrote a few months ago before I moved to NY...asking questions etc, etc, etc. Anyway, just thought I'd give an update. I moved from NH (a very carry friendly state)...to...yep...NY I am now unarmed for the first time since I got my first carry permit 10 years ago and man does it feel weird...I feel as though I'm walking around naked. Buying a better EDC knife but that doesn't do a whole lot for making me feel all warm and fuzzy inside quite the same way that my Glock felt when loaded with Gold Dot or HST. ...The way the laws work, I have to wait 6 months before I can apply for a permit to own a handgun (I had to leave my handguns out of the state)...then it will take about 6+ months to actually get the permit. About my only saving grace (and the light at the end of the tunnel) is the fact that I moved to an area that gives out a lifetime permit that lets me carry it all over the state with no restrictions...with the exception of NYC...but that doesn't really make up for the "odd" feeling of being unarmed right now.
    T-minus ~11 months before I can carry again
    T-minus 2 years 11 months before I move back home!
    Not really sure why I'm writing this...just to make sure that none of you forget how great it is that the states you live in actually let you exercise your rights to protect yourself!
    Take care out there!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I moved to NY
    I am sure you had your reasons , but like Ted Bundy you just have to learn that choices have consequences LOL ... get outa there is my opinion LOL
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Assistant Administrator
    I know why you wrote that - total, utter, unmitigated despair, rage and frustration

Hello NY - goodbye 2A - almost how it seems.

I will make the assumption that your reasons for the move are compelling, otherwise hard to see it happening.

Looks like a long haul ahead but the end result at least will seemingly be worth it.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    I pity you, Brother.

Get the hell out of there at the first opportunity.

Good luck & hope you stay safe. I bet you'll be the fastest person in the world to strap on a handgun once you can move out of there.

Not really sure why I'm writing this...just to make sure that none of you forget how great it is that the states you live in actually let you exercise your rights to protect yourself!
    Oh, I think I can understand. I lived there for 27 years.

Ask yourself this....was the trade off worth it ?
    As you know, life is better in New Hampshire, what are ya' waiting for ?

I lived most of my life in NYC.
    The last 10 years I've been in Florida.

The interesting thing about NYC, is that it is very unfriendly to gun ownership, let alone ccw.
    However, if you're a criminal, handguns are easy to get and your victims are most likely unarmed.

go figure.

It's bizarre that a city government can take away your constitutional right to bear arms, and the right to defend your life and the lives of your loved ones.

Let's not get carried away. I live in New York and I am quite thoroughly armed. It may take some time to establish your residency, get a permit, etc., but it's not impossible and you have alternatives open to you, no matter how galling it may be to have taken a step backward in terms of your Second Amendment rights.

I despise this state socio-politically, but it's not Iran. It only feels like it. ;)

thanks for the hopeful outlook Phil.
    My experience in NYC was that it was impossible to obtain a carry permit unless your occupation could prove the need.
    I'm not familiar with the other ny counties.

NYC is out of the question unless you're rich. The rest of New York is a crapshoot depending on the county. It is still possible more often than it isn't, however.

You know, being what out current state of affairs is at home and abroad you would think that CCW would be allowed in any state. Anyway good luck.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

yeech!!!!

I live in PA, a bastion of 2A rights. To get to my wifes parent's farm, I have to travel thru PRK NJ (no CCW, no hollowpoints) into PRK NY (no CCW for me, 10 mag cap limit). And heck if I would be considered legal to take a gun to NY!!!

It may not be Iran, but it might as well be!!!

South of Ol' Tascosa, two miles from water, twenty miles from Hell
    I can not understand why would any sane gun owner/shooter lives in New York, unless they are being paid a million dollars a year to do so? Use a gun to defend yourself or your family and some Politicial Commissar will try to put you in Prision. I personally like Freedom or as much of it as I can get this day and time. Texas is swell.

As one said, Choices have consequences.

Jungle Work

NYC, yes...near impossible unless you are rich and famous (and well connected). However, in NYS you can get a full carry permit in many counties and often get "restrictions" removed after awhile in counties that give restricted permits. It could be worse...you could live in NJ!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links