Carry ammo lifespan

Carry ammo lifespan

This is a discussion on Carry ammo lifespan within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; How long do you all keep the carry ammo before you shoot it? I know some people keep it for a very long time while ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Carry ammo lifespan

Carry ammo lifespan

How long do you all keep the carry ammo before you shoot it? I know some people keep it for a very long time while others get "fresh" ammo after a couple months.

VIP Member
    No set time frame on mine. I usually will empty my mag every 3 or 4 months and reload with fresh. I reality ammo that is kept clean and dry will stay good for a very long time.
    jwhite75 likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

6-12 months. No reason as to why I chose that length of time, just seemed like the right time to me.

I had some high quality HP in a revolver that was stored for 10 years. Flawless. Good ammo will probably stay effective for a ridiculously long time. Swapping out for "fresh" is most likely unnecessary.

On the other hand, the real issue is your familiarity with your gun and its handling.
    Old School and oneshot like this.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

I recently fired-off hollowpoint ammo (federal) I had stored for about 15-16 years with absolutely no issues.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Ammo will last a long time.As I have mentioned before,my old man left loaded guns in his home and cars.Many of these had not been fired in 15-20 years.We cleaned out the dust and none of the ammo malfunctioned.I found a box of 30-30 shells in the top of his closet that he purchased with the gun,in the early 1960's.We shot the entire box,no problem.I would not worry too much about ammo life.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

VIP Member
    I shoot revolver ammo carried in a speedloader in my pocket when it gets dented up. The ammo in mags or a revolver cylinder lasts longer by far.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

I just make sure to not chamber the same round too many times. Once that round has been chambered more than 5 times I end up shooting it mixing it in with regular target ammo.

So I don't swap out new carry ammo often. I figure ammo will last a very long time unless it is exposed to chemicals or conditions that would damage.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

I fired .22lr ammo well over 50 years old that actually had mold on it...not a single misfire. Amazing.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Yearly for me. I just prefer to replace it after a year. I think I got that from work. We have to qualify every year and they want us to use out "old issue" ammo to qualify with then they issue more rounds.

My main concern is how many times its been chambered (not a problem on a revolver). I have a .45 ACP which are less prone to bullet setback, but currently I as I eject a round from the chamber (to clean, store, whatever, not that often) I drop it in a bag. When I chamber another round, I top of my magazine with a bullet from the box. I think once all 50 rounds have been chambered three times I'll probably be shooting them, I know so far that each chambering shortens the round 4-6 thousandths of an inch. It will probably be a few years before I buy another box of defensive ammo.

You should shoot the ammo in your gun every 30 days. If you're not doing that, can you really say you are proficient?

Okay, all kidding aside, (or am I?) Anyways, I won't say quality ammo will last indefinitely, but certainly ammo has been used reliably after being stored for beyond 30 years. Modern commercially manufactured ammo should give you no issues. I've never seen an expiration date stamped on any box of ammo.

However, bullet set-back is an issue. If you have a semi-automatic pistol and you are re-chambering the same round multiple times because of unloading the gun for what ever administrative tasks you can get a problem with bullet set-back as the bullet gets seated deeper and deeper into the case. This will create an over-pressure effect when the round is fired which can cause serious injury and damage to your weapon.

Most people won't re-chamber a round more than two or three times before shooting it so they don't get an over-pressure due to bullet set-back. Certainly if you notice one of your bullets are noticeable shorter than the other rounds, you should discard it. Without using a micrometer to physically measure my rounds, I do give a careful visual inspection of them when I unload to clean my weapons and magazines. I will line them up next to each other on a flat surface and scrutinize them for any noticeable difference in height before reloading my magazine(s).
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I just date the boxes when I buy them and shoot the oldest first when I go to the range. Everything gets rotated about every two years at the most.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    I shoot through it about once a year or so.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    10 to 30 days. Not because I don't think it would last longer just I find something to shoot in that time frame.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links