Your Victim Profile

This is a discussion on Your Victim Profile within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I usually do way more reading than posting here mostly because I am new to the firearms community and still have a lot to learn, ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 48
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Your Victim Profile

  1. #1
    Member Array RugerMike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    110

    Your Victim Profile

    I usually do way more reading than posting here mostly because I am new to the firearms community and still have a lot to learn, but a conversation with a coworker that also carries got me thinking. I did a search and could not find anything similar to this topic, so excuse me if this has been discussed before.

    We were talking about things BGs consider (either consciously or subconsciously) when selecting their victim. We then analyzed ourselves and tried to determine our victim profile, meaning what traits would make a BG pick us as their next victim, and what traits would deter them.

    We came up with the following categories(these are just our opinions feel free to disagree):

    Height: We decided being short 5'7'' and below hurts your victim profile.

    Age: Being too young or too old also makes you an easier target. We said less than 20 or over 40. I am sure this will get the older guys riled up. For perspective my buddy and I are both in our mid 20's

    Build: Being too skinny or very overweight hurts you. Skinny people could be viewed as weak and obese people could be perceived as slow. Being strong and athletic in build helps you.

    Attire: How are you dressed? Shirt and tie could make you look like a rich yuppie to a BG. More who dress in an "aggressive" fashion could be intimidating. (think biker guys)

    Demeanor: Are you friendly and approachable looking, or unfriendly looking? Kindness is often mistaken for weakness.

    Situational Awareness: Are you paying attention to what is going on around you? Making eye contact? Or do you have an ipod on and are reading your new e-reader?

    Gender: BGs target females over males for some crimes.

    I am not sure if this self analysis would really be helpful when it comes to preventing you from becoming a victim of a crime, but I found it an interesting exercise to take a look at myself through the BGs eyes.

    Here is how I analyzed myself:

    Height: I am only 5'4'' so this hurts me for sure.

    Age: 24 I shave my head so I look a bit older than this. This should be pretty neutral I think.

    Build: I am short, but I weigh 210 and am stronger than most people. I compete in powerlifting and train hard in the weight room. I think this is one of my greatest attributes when it comes to deterring the BGs. Some proof: YouTube - Deadlift 405x10

    Attire: I usually am dressed in shirts and ties for work. Outside of work I am a the jeans and work boots type. So this one really depends. This could hurt me in some situations and be neutral in others.

    Demeanor: By nature I am very friendly and outgoing. People who first meet me tend to find me a bit intimidating due to my build and the fact that I shave my head. I can come across as being serious if I need to, but it is something I need to "turn on" definitely does not come naturally. This generally hurts me since I am friendly.

    SA: I try to be as dialed in as possible. Eye contact, perimeter awareness, know where exits are etc. This helps me for sure. Eye contact is a huge deterrent I think.

    Gender: Male so this helps me as well.

    The interesting thing about my coworker is that he is a pretty big guy (5'10'' 260) but has a very jovial demeanor and a babyface. He is the last guy I would expect to be carrying a glock 26 under his shirt. Not only that, but he could shoot circles around me all day long. He could take some BG for a serious surprise.

    I am sure some people will disagree with my assessment of some of the categories and that I why I posted this here. I am curious to see what others think of this. I hope I do not offend anyone with my assessment of the categories. I admit that I have some biases, but I tried to be honest as to my opinion.

    So what is your "victim profile"?
    Fear the man with one gun. Especially if that gun is a Glock 19.

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #2
    VIP Member
    Array atctimmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    NSA Headquarters
    Posts
    6,242
    It all depends on the moment. You could look like King Kong and if you walk down the wrong alley you're going to be a victim. Much of what you said can and does play a factor but there are no absolutes.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

  4. #3
    Ex Member Array MadMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,095
    Are you using statistics? Are you educated in law enforcement and criminal psychology?

    If not, your "profiles" are only really worthwhile as a barstool discussion.

    I'll happily wager a month's wages that statistically, more guys with "tough guy attire" are gunned down or violently assaulted than "rich yuppies" in suits and ties. I'll leave that to you to work into your "profiles".

    Violent crooks are evil and stupid, and they most often ply their trade in their own neighborhoods. Say they attack Muffy Springwater in the Regal Acres Country Club neighborhood. She's wearing shoes that cost more than the bad guys' car, has a $27,000 fur coat, and a $2500 hand bag. She also has twelve credit cards and perhaps $27.38 in cash. What are they going to do with that crap? If someone wants to steal her S500, they'll just boost it while she's in the beauty spa. No sense risking assault charges if you only want to steal the car.

    Her husband plays golf with the DA and the lieutenant governor. She's in a wine tasting club that includes a state senator and a sitting judge. The law will turn over every little rock to find these dirtbags, and they will go down hard. Crooks aren't that stupid.

    If they assault the local pimp/crack dealer, he likely has $6700 in cash on him and also a large quantity of drugs. He's known to local LEOs as a scumbag with a long record. Everyone at the police station gets a good laugh when they find his body saying, "Well, this fool had it coming to him."

    You're far more likely (statistically) to be violently assaulted by someone you know well than by some random "BG" as you call them. Muffy is more likely to suffer a violent assault from her husband - again, statistically speaking.

    Carry on.
    shockwave likes this.

  5. #4
    Moderator
    Array buckeye .45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    7,398
    Mindset has far more to do than anything, and if you are looking at a crowd of people, it is easy to pick out who the ones with proper mindset are, regardless of size, attire, or age.
    FiremanPaul and tcox4freedom like this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

    Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

  6. #5
    Member Array Naufragia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Black Hills, South Dakota
    Posts
    454
    Interesting post.
    Last edited by Naufragia; May 5th, 2011 at 07:48 PM.

  7. #6
    Member Array paullie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    kansas
    Posts
    343
    to the OP, i don't blame ya for reading and not posting when yiu get a response like this
    Rotorblade likes this.

  8. #7
    Senior Member Array Spidey2011's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    887
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    Are you using statistics? Are you educated in law enforcement and criminal psychology?

    If not, your "profiles" are only really worthwhile as a barstool discussion.

    I'll happily wager a month's wages that statistically, more guys with "tough guy attire" are gunned down or violently assaulted than "rich yuppies" in suits and ties. I'll leave that to you to work into your "profiles".

    Violent crooks are evil and stupid, and they most often ply their trade in their own neighborhoods. Say they attack Muffy Springwater in the Regal Acres Country Club neighborhood. She's wearing shoes that cost more than the bad guys' car, has a $27,000 fur coat, and a $2500 hand bag. She also has twelve credit cards and perhaps $27.38 in cash. What are they going to do with that crap? If someone wants to steal her S500, they'll just boost it while she's in the beauty spa. No sense risking assault charges if you only want to steal the car.

    Her husband plays golf with the DA and the lieutenant governor. She's in a wine tasting club that includes a state senator and a sitting judge. The law will turn over every little rock to find these dirtbags, and they will go down hard. Crooks aren't that stupid.

    If they assault the local pimp/crack dealer, he likely has $6700 in cash on him and also a large quantity of drugs. He's known to local LEOs as a scumbag with a long record. Everyone at the police station gets a good laugh when they find his body saying, "Well, this fool had it coming to him."

    You're far more likely (statistically) to be violently assaulted by someone you know well than by some random "BG" as you call them. Muffy is more likely to suffer a violent assault from her husband - again, statistically speaking.

    Carry on.
    This pretty much hits the nail on the head.

  9. #8
    Senior Member Array wvshooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Charleston, WV
    Posts
    530
    I guess it's fun to sit back and be critical of another person's post. At least that's my take on your other responses.

    IMO all of your surmises are valid and people who are serious about their personal safety should think along the same lines. Is anyone and everyone regardless of stature or other attribute at risk? Yes. Are some more at risk because of a personal characteristic. Yes.

    I'll give you an example. Locally we just had an incident in which a lady got on an elevator in a large parking garage. A male and a female hurried to enter the same elevator. The first lady was punched and robbed by the pair while they were between floors.

    Now let's change the scene. A six foot eight inch tall male built like an NFL lineman gets on the same elevator. Does he get mugged? I hope the people who criticized your post can see the difference.
    RemMod597 and RevolvingMag like this.
    "You have to answer for Santino, Carlo. You fingered Sonny for the Barzini people."

  10. #9
    New Member Array rogerl's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    Are you using statistics? Are you educated in law enforcement and criminal psychology?
    My guess is no, since the people most likely to be a victim of violence are middle aged black women. I don't remember all the numbers, as I researched this awhile ago in response to some gender related claims. The upshot is that white middle aged women are about the safest group available - statistically, a woman should escort me to my vehicle, not the other way around (yes, I recognize their are flaws in that reasoning - it's a joke to make a point about the stats). Basically if you are middle aged, don't have a lot of education, and are a minority you have high rates of violence due to domestic and outside violence. If you are a young male you are a target (gang violence, bravado in the bars, etc). The more money you have, the less of a target you are. It's socioeconomic - who you are and who you surround yourself with. Live in a neighborhood where bullets go randomly flying down the street during drug turf wars, and you too may be a victim. Live in a nice neighborhood and drive in your Lexus to the PTA or the golf course - not so much, though we all know there are exceptions.

    That's not to say that if you are 6'7" and 400lbs of rippling muscle that your physical attributes may make the BG choose somebody else, but the significant breakdowns come down to socioeconomic issues. If you are worried about 3" in height, but not paying attention to the huge advantage in being, say, a white middle aged female or male, well, your concerns are misplaced.
    shockwave likes this.

  11. #10
    Moderator
    Array buckeye .45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    7,398
    Quote Originally Posted by wvshooter View Post
    I guess it's fun to sit back and be critical of another person's post. At least that's my take on your other responses.

    IMO all of your surmises are valid and people who are serious about their personal safety should think along the same lines. Is anyone and everyone regardless of stature or other attribute at risk? Yes. Are some more at risk because of a personal characteristic. Yes.

    I'll give you an example. Locally we just had an incident in which a lady got on an elevator in a large parking garage. A male and a female hurried to enter the same elevator. The first lady was punched and robbed by the pair while they were between floors.

    Now let's change the scene. A six foot eight inch tall male built like an NFL lineman gets on the same elevator. Does he get mugged? I hope the people who criticized your post can see the difference.
    Most of the attributes that the OP listed are on a secondary level, and directly related to mindset. Several of the categories (age, height, and gender), nobody really has any control over. The other ones, including build (if a person has the correct mental mindset to try and survive a lethal encounter, they will stay in some semblance of shape) attire, demeanor, and SA (a trainable skill) are in the hands of the individual. And if they have a proper mindset, they will take those things seriously, and someone observing them can tell.

    FWIW, I studied a lot of this in college in my criminology classes, and the thing that really increases your chances of being a victim, is associating with people of an unsavory nature, as the vast majority of violent crimes are committed by people who know the victim. Sure, the random robbery or murder does happen on occasion, but it is rare. A 6'8 NFL lineman looking type may not get mugged in that manner you described. But a grab type robbery, where they take his laptop bag and run away would be a lot more likely, because he is less apt to be able to run fast for long distances.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

    Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

  12. #11
    VIP Member Array BugDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Gulf Coast of Florida
    Posts
    9,120
    I appreciate your analytical thinking skills and the fact that you are trying to think and view yourself from a perspective other than your own. That is truly a path of better understanding that will improve your situational awareness. Now, anyone can debate the merits or lack thereof of any particular item on your list. Heck, even experts probably couldn't agree on the specifics. But I appreciate the thought process. Criminals are most often creatures of opportunity. Someone being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Your SA and avoiding bad people and places at bad times will go a long way towards not being a victim of opportunity.
    rolyat63 and tcox4freedom like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.


    Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

  13. #12
    Senior Member Array Tala's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Benton, AR
    Posts
    716
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    Most of the attributes that the OP listed are on a secondary level, and directly related to mindset. Several of the categories (age, height, and gender), nobody really has any control over. The other ones, including build (if a person has the correct mental mindset to try and survive a lethal encounter, they will stay in some semblance of shape) attire, demeanor, and SA (a trainable skill) are in the hands of the individual. And if they have a proper mindset, they will take those things seriously, and someone observing them can tell.
    I think a LOT of it comes down to demeanor and SA. I'm barely 5' and female, but 99% of people just don't mess with me. I'm not mean or aggressive, but I guess I have that "don't mess with me" thing down pretty well. You can hear it in my voice if I want you to.
    As I have heard said on here several times - cops, carriers and crooks are the observant ones. Bad guys notice these things more than most.
    shockwave and tcox4freedom like this.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

  14. #13
    Senior Member Array AlexHassin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    the North East
    Posts
    552
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    Are you using statistics? Are you educated in law enforcement and criminal psychology?

    If not, your "profiles" are only really worthwhile as a barstool discussion.

    I'll happily wager a month's wages that statistically, more guys with "tough guy attire" are gunned down or violently assaulted than "rich yuppies" in suits and ties. I'll leave that to you to work into your "profiles".

    Violent crooks are evil and stupid, and they most often ply their trade in their own neighborhoods. Say they attack Muffy Springwater in the Regal Acres Country Club neighborhood. She's wearing shoes that cost more than the bad guys' car, has a $27,000 fur coat, and a $2500 hand bag. She also has twelve credit cards and perhaps $27.38 in cash. What are they going to do with that crap? If someone wants to steal her S500, they'll just boost it while she's in the beauty spa. No sense risking assault charges if you only want to steal the car.

    Her husband plays golf with the DA and the lieutenant governor. She's in a wine tasting club that includes a state senator and a sitting judge. The law will turn over every little rock to find these dirtbags, and they will go down hard. Crooks aren't that stupid.

    If they assault the local pimp/crack dealer, he likely has $6700 in cash on him and also a large quantity of drugs. He's known to local LEOs as a scumbag with a long record. Everyone at the police station gets a good laugh when they find his body saying, "Well, this fool had it coming to him."

    You're far more likely (statistically) to be violently assaulted by someone you know well than by some random "BG" as you call them. Muffy is more likely to suffer a violent assault from her husband - again, statistically speaking.

    Carry on.
    Very true. If I am going to kill someone for money, should I hit the local drug dealer on Grand Concourse, or some random well dressed lady on Park Ave. I don’t know about you but I would go for the drug dealer. NYPD is going to care a lot less and I will walk off with a lot more.

  15. #14
    New Member Array Markomyt1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Wonderful Wyoming
    Posts
    6
    Interesting Post.
    Some people are goats, Wolves eat goats, Tigers eat Wolves, therefore Wolves Fear Tigers, I want to be a Tiger.
    Some goats may become a Tiger through training, some will continue as goats.
    Statistics can't measure the "Crime that didn't happen" because the BG chose not to jump a Tiger.

  16. #15
    Ex Member Array MadMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,095
    Quote Originally Posted by rogerl View Post
    The more money you have, the less of a target you are. It's socioeconomic - who you are and who you surround yourself with. Live in a neighborhood where bullets go randomly flying down the street during drug turf wars, and you too may be a victim. Live in a nice neighborhood and drive in your Lexus to the PTA or the golf course - not so much, though we all know there are exceptions.

    That's not to say that if you are 6'7" and 400lbs of rippling muscle that your physical attributes may make the BG choose somebody else, but the significant breakdowns come down to socioeconomic issues. If you are worried about 3" in height, but not paying attention to the huge advantage in being, say, a white middle aged female or male, well, your concerns are misplaced.
    Precisely.

    If you and your buddy are young as you state, here are some traits you can nurture to avoid becoming a victim of violence:

    1. Get a good education.
    2. Get a good career (not just a job).
    3. Live in a "nice" neighborhood.
    4. Stay away from "bad" neighborhoods.
    5. Avoid criminal activities.
    6. Avoid criminals.

    It may take a bit more effort than working out, dressing like a "biker", and giving everyone you see the stink eye, but it is statistically shown to work.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

constructing a victim profile

,
definition of victim profiling
,
example of victim profile
,
example of victims profile
,
example victim profile
,
how to construct a victim profile
,
how to construct a victims profile
,

victim profile

,
victim profile example
,
victim profile sample
,

victim profile template

,

what is a victim profile

Click on a term to search for related topics.