S&W J-frame in ankle holster, after time, still too heavy?

This is a discussion on S&W J-frame in ankle holster, after time, still too heavy? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am sure many of the cops and security, as well as military on this forum are familiar with the toll having a gun on ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: S&W J-frame in ankle holster, after time, still too heavy?

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar

S&W J-frame in ankle holster, after time, still too heavy?

I am sure many of the cops and security, as well as military on this forum are familiar with the toll having a gun on your ankle takes after a normal shift. There is usually a little bit of discomfort and it feels good to take the holster off. Most people reccomend a J-frame S&W. I have been up for almost 21 hours working with my full gear and body armor on and nothing is bugging me as much as that ankle gun for my back up. I will be on duty for another 5 hours as I am writing this and I can tell you, that J-frame is starting to rub on my ankle. Its just enough gun in a little package, but the worst is where the snap is rubbing on my leg and the straps are digging into my calf. In my opinion, ankle carry is best exercised at most for 12-13 hours at a time and usually works better for around 8 hours. In situations where working, or just day to day life has you wearing an ankle gun for most situations I will now reccomend a holster that attaches to a kevlar vest for the LEO's and soldiers out there, and a belt holster for any civilians that may carry a J-frame. After 23 hours without relief its gonna be interesting to see what my ankle feels and looks like. Will post more as I develop more thoughts. In the meantime, what are your thoughts on this?
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

2. Remove Ads

I've not experienced the discomfort that you are expressing. The band for my ankle holster is approx 4 inches wide. It wraps nicely around my leg just above my ankle. It is padded. I think based on the width, it absorbs the negligible weight of the Airweight. In addition, I have a calf strap attached, which more than compensates for any additional feeling of weight. I've worn for up to 18 hours and quite honestly, forgot it was there. Not knowing what kind of ankle rig that you have, perhaps a search for a more comfortable set up will ease the pain and your frustrations. JMO
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

I am definatley thinking new ankle rig when i get the money, my uncle mikes honestly isn't as comfortable as i would like, its comfortable, but in the same way my .44 is comfortable, its secure, its stable, and it can be concealed, but i definatley know its there. I wish I were in street clothes or a tac uniform so i could pocket carry, but alas, class b's are the order of the day
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

I've worn the Galco ankle glove for the past 10 years. The first few years were with a glock 27, the past few with a S&W 642. This is while wearing a pair of lace up duty boots. The weight was quite apparent the first week but it hasn't crossed my mind in all the years since.

i love the look of the ankle glove, its the one i think is for me. Is it really as comfortable after 20 hours as it is after 4?

Another vote for the galco ankle glove. Carry my G27 in it and it's super comfortable. Not the fastest draw but perfect for the right scenarios. I wear it with a 3/4 boot and it never touches my ankle.

Galco Ankle Glove. It's not cheap but it's worth it.

Administrator
    If your going to ankle carry, a good holster is a must. Uncle Mikes isn't a good holster. Alessi makes the best ankle holster I've come across.

That said, I would never advise somebody in uniform to ankle carry.
    glockman10mm likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    The Blackhawk Ankle Holster is also extremely comfortable.

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Chris, for me ankle carry is out anyway. I tried it in my early years, and it inhibited my ability during foot pursuits, and the situations I have personally witnessed/ experienced, have lead me to believe the only real tactical advantage it offers is when seated in a car. I much more prefer a pocket holster in my weak hand side pocket.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

i use a Dsantis Apache ankle holster with my S&W 638 somtimes 12+hours with no problems.i wear a couple pairs of tube socks under the holster,i found this makes it much more comfortable for extended use,does not add any bulk either..give it a try

The cops I know at school each carry a KelTec P-3AT in shirt/vest pockets...pretty simple backup...but I'm not a cop, I'm just sayin'...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I would do that gman, but my mag pouches, oc spray and tazer get in the way, my side pockets are out of the question while working

I used to carry a Charter Arms (about 25 oz, and slightly bulkier) in an uncle mikes ankle holster. I bought it last minute because it was the only option for carrying in my wedding (crazy heat wave made me decide not to wear a coat for outdoor wedding). At first I used it on the inside of my weak side leg with the calf strap, but that was awful. Now I have a J frame for it and wear it on the strong side leg with no calf strap. Much better. Its actually very secure too, I've run as far as a mile just to test the security.

I would certainly recommend a better holster. Thats what I'll be getting when funds allow.

Yeah Chris, I can understand that. I carry my OC spray on left side of my belt, and if I don't position it just right, more towards the front, it will be over my left pocket. My mag pouches are on the gun side. I set it up this way so when I make an approach, my left hand can hover on the OC pouch, ready to rip and spray, and my right hand can hover on my weapon. This way, whatever the situation calls for, my hands are there.

It is very, very important to have your gear arranged so that you can immediatly go for the tool required. I also carry a small fixed blade on my left side so that if I am struggling to keep my weapon holstered in a grap situation, and my right hand is tied, I can access my knife, pepper, or BUG with my other hand.

Being able to keep your primary, in my opinion, is much more important than having a BUG in the first place, and that's my #1 priority. But we all figure this stuff out on our own eventually.
    jwhite75 likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links