Loss of Vision in my dominant eye

This is a discussion on Loss of Vision in my dominant eye within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok so let me start with a little background info on me so it will better help the question(s) i will be asking. Im 25 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Loss of Vision in my dominant eye

Senior Member Array rangerman2003's Avatar

Ok so let me start with a little background info on me so it will better help the question(s) i will be asking.

Im 25 been shooting since I was 7/8. Im an avid hunter and target shooter and I CCW. I woke up three weeks ago and had about 80% of my vision in my right eye and then by lunch it was completely gone. I went to the doctor and they sent me straight to the er to get an MRI done to check for brain tumor and MS. both of those came back clear so noone knows why I lost vision but none the less its gone.

So now that you know my situation here are my questions.

1) since I can no longer use my right eye would i be able to keep my right handed grip only using my left eye?

2) Will I need to switch all of my gear over to a left handed set up if I cant keep my right handed grip.

3) anyone else have this same kind of illness and how did you cope with it?

Thanks for all the info
    Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'

De inimico non Loquaris sed cogites.

Do not wish ill for your enemy, plan for it!

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Many people are cross dominant (ie they shoot with the hand opposite from their dominant eye). I think this is something that you can overcome. Try researching shooting cross dominant or something similar. it has been discussed on the forum before.

VIP Member
    I think the cross dominant thing is when both eyes are working and you are left handed and right eyed (or vice versa). With sight in only 1 eye, I would think you could keep the same shooting hand but you will need to move your hands a bit to the left so your good eye is behind the sights. Best advice I can give is to go to the range and try it. The above applies only to handguns. Rifles and shottys will probably need to switch shoulders and shooting hands (or get some fairly expensive stock modifications).
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    sorry to hear about your eye trouble--hope it returnes as it went, fast.
    as for cross-eye dominance try a modified weaver stance. lets put the bulleseye at 12 oclock. your feet at shoulder width with the left toe pointed at 1 oclock and the right toe at 2.30. thus your shoulders are square to 1.30.
    as you bring your right arm up and over to the left ( with your left hand gripping also) the gun is going to slide under your left eye as it comes on target ( your head is 'looking' at 1.30 ish). your left arm will have some bend in the elbow and your right arm will be pretty straight out.
    control the recoil by allowing your elbows to bend rather than break your wrist. reacquire your target by extending you arms. it solves the dominance trouble and makes for fast follow up shots.
    good luck.
    4evrinblujns likes this.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Quote Originally Posted by rangerman2003 View Post
    Ok so let me start with a little background info on me so it will better help the question(s) i will be asking.

Im 25 been shooting since I was 7/8. Im an avid hunter and target shooter and I CCW. I woke up three weeks ago and had about 80% of my vision in my right eye and then by lunch it was completely gone. I went to the doctor and they sent me straight to the er to get an MRI done to check for brain tumor and MS. both of those came back clear so noone knows why I lost vision but none the less its gone.

So now that you know my situation here are my questions.

1) since I can no longer use my right eye would i be able to keep my right handed grip only using my left eye?

2) Will I need to switch all of my gear over to a left handed set up if I cant keep my right handed grip.

3) anyone else have this same kind of illness and how did you cope with it?

Thanks for all the info
    Im very sorry for your loss. Your left eye is now your dominant eye. I only have one eye.( fishing lured pulled my left eye out a few years ago ) You can over come this.

1. You must learn to cant the weapon to your left eye. This will make it easier to get a site picture. About a 5 to 7 degree cant should work. A Isosceles stance will work well for you. Im not sure how you trained in the past, but im sure it will work in the future.

2. No, you can do this.

3. Yes, it happened to me. I believe the only thing you will miss is the depth perception. PM me if you would like to talk. I lost my eye when I was 24. Im 40 now a still going strong.

Hball.
    phreddy and Ally like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Sorry for this loss, I can not imagine the inconvenience and would not wish this on anyone.
    But I would use it as a "reason" to practice a LOT more.
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

Sorry to hear about your eye issue.

Myself, I'm 27, right handed, and have horrendous eyes. (IE: 20/700 in my right eye, 20/400 in the left. Perhaps a little worse than that now.) Being that my right eye has always been worse than my left, I've become left eye dominant.

I have no issues with accuracy shooting right handed while aiming with the left eye. I would assume it will take some time to get a shooting position that is comfortable for you, but if (God forbid) your sight issue remains for an extended period of time, I see no foreseeable complications with right hand/left eye shooting once you accustom yourself to doing it.

I'm sorry to hear about your eye. How will this affect your eligibility to CCW now? I hope you get your vision back soon good luck and I hope you figure out whats going on.
    RUGER SR9 IN CROSSBREED SUPERTUCK DAILY

thanks for the quick responses. The doctors have said that if I dont see any return within the next week or so I can count on it not coming back. HarryBall I have to say I already miss my depth perception, its crazy how you dont realize how much you use it.
    Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'

Quote Originally Posted by MAINE0388 View Post
    I'm sorry to hear about your eye. How will this affect your eligibility to CCW now? I hope you get your vision back soon good luck and I hope you figure out whats going on.
    In KY as long as you can hold a drivers license you can hold a permit. So if im reading everything correctly I can still have my DL with only 1 working eye so I should be good. Im going to be calling around to verify this once I learn more about what is to come with my eye

I am sorry for your loss. I have a birth defec t to lift your spirits. It is called monochramatism. I see in black and white with some gray. How is this funny? You would not believe the clothing combos I have worn in public. Thank GOD for my wife. My parents also were no help. They thought my choices were hilarious! It was the 80s, Acid wash jeans are/were cool. Right?????????
    " The illegal we do immediately. The unconstitutional takes a little longer." Henry Kissenger

i think the FAR bigger issue here is that you lost all of your vision inside of 1 day and your doctor cant figure out why??
    I would run, not walk to a top opthamologist or neurosurgeon to find out what is going on. Sounds to me that you are more interested in shooting than figuring out what is wrong? And if your doctor is suggesting you "wait a week and see what happens"... you need to RUN to a much better doctor that will take this more seriously. Your an awful young fella to be losing your vision like that - that quickly. Your eyes are gonna come in handy as you get older, trust me.
    First Sgt likes this.

Wow went threw that with my brother in law some 35 years ago. The long guns were the hardest for him. That you will have to switch. He would practice every night during the week just pulling up, and we would throw clay pigeons on Saturday. By bird season he was good to go, and set for deer season as well.
    He has mentioned that polarized sunglasses help a little on depth perception.
    Hope things go well for you.
    LET FREEDOM REIGN NOT GOVERNMENT

Quote Originally Posted by eichhoma View Post
    i think the FAR bigger issue here is that you lost all of your vision inside of 1 day and your doctor cant figure out why??
    I would run, not walk to a top opthamologist or neurosurgeon to find out what is going on. Sounds to me that you are more interested in shooting than figuring out what is wrong? And if your doctor is suggesting you "wait a week and see what happens"... you need to RUN to a much better doctor that will take this more seriously. Your an awful young fella to be losing your vision like that - that quickly. Your eyes are gonna come in handy as you get older, trust me.
    Sorry I failed to mention this in my op so for that I apologize. I went to the er after leaving my eye doctor then the following day I was sitting in the neuro optamologist office waiting to be looked at. Im scared to death about it not coming back but I have come to realize if it doesn't its something I WILL overcome so im hitting now before I know if its coming back or not.

Quote Originally Posted by rangerman2003 View Post
    Sorry I failed to mention this in my op so for that I apologize. I went to the er after leaving my eye doctor then the following day I was sitting in the neuro optamologist office waiting to be looked at. Im scared to death about it not coming back but I have come to realize if it doesn't its something I WILL overcome so im hitting now before I know if its coming back or not.
    My father experienced something similar about a year or so ago and the neuro optawhatchacallit discovered part of the retina had detached. His symptoms started out as a few black and/or white spots glossing over his eye early in the morning kinda like if you get eye crud that moves across your pupil. By late afternoon he had 50% loss of vision and by next day it was worse.

They said it could have been from over strain/pressure from anything from heavy lifting to yard work during high blood pressure times to all kinds of stuff. In the end though they were able to fix it with laser surgery. Hopefully you can get full recovery/use back. Good luck.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links