New Permit holder - conflicted feelings - Page 5

New Permit holder - conflicted feelings

This is a discussion on New Permit holder - conflicted feelings within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by skandranon Wow. Did not expect so many great answers so fast. Thank you all for the thoughts! The link to the nano ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree78Likes

Thread: New Permit holder - conflicted feelings

Take em shootin'

Quote Originally Posted by skandranon View Post
    Wow. Did not expect so many great answers so fast. Thank you all for the thoughts!

The link to the nano vault is great! Very inexpensive and I have been looking for something for my car just like that!

I am looking to get training asap. This whole thing has been a HUGE expense to me. I (like many these days) am just scraping by financially. So the costs involved are a very big consideration for me!

I live Portland, Oregon. Oregon is very gun friendly (open carry legal and a shall issue state, etc), Portland is very anti gun. So there is a huge social stigma attached that I am dealing with. I have fast learned that carrying all the time is going to require almost a whole wardrobe change to ensure concealed stays concealed. It is very hard to find holsters and belt locally to try out before I buy them. So far I have already gotten one of each that are not at all going to work for me long term. Right now I am constantly adjusting my gun because it is poking me in one way or another. I know most people dont pay attention but my friends have noticed and asked me. I decided not to hide it from some of them and got a lot of flak for it.

Hopefully when I can take the training the will help set my mind at ease. I know better gear will help make it more comfortable. It will take time for these things, I wish I could do them now.

My biggest problem with carrying from a psychical standpoint is, getting into and out of my car. I can not do it without moving my gun around till it is just right. This is very obvious to anyone else in the car. I know this is a gear issue, and will be resolved sooner or later.

I am still conflicted, but your opinions have helped. Thanks again!
    Ha ha ha ... I JUST moved from Seattle area to TX but when I was there and some of my friends who were not all that enthused about guns learned I carried changed their minds simply through seeing my gun enthusiasm as a hobby and my offers to take them shooting. Soon many became converts and some even purchased their own guns.

As far as placement you'll find the sweet spot but when you do... Make sure you go to the range and practice, practice, practice drawing from that spot until it becomes second nature. Muscle memory and training is the key to acting instead of reacting.

If the need should ever arise that you need to draw and use deadly force you will revert to the least common denominator of your training and the results will be commensurate with how you have prepared yourself.

Spray and pray only works in the movies and per Col. Jeff Coopers' rule number four:

Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Good luck...

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by loneviking View Post
    I wonder, is the OP left handed? He mentioned that it was tough to wear the gun in the car, that it kept hanging up on things....

^ That's a very good question - RE: driving.

Even regardless of handedness, that's one area where, like you said, a beginner, especially, will unfortunately have to experiment a little with his or her gear and setup.

I carry at my strong-side, 3-o'clock because of my driving needs. I drive a stickshift, in a car that has a relatively decently bolstered seat - that makes rotating the gun back beyond 3:30 or so starts to get really rather uncomfortable, seated. Similarly, my build (a porky 240 lbs. on a medium-sized 6ft. frame) means that I have a spare-tire overhang, and that makes shifting the gun forward of 2:30 uncomfortable when seated, too.

So yes, experimenting with one's gear selection is very important: what works for one person may or may not work as well for another.

Laws and regulations sometimes serve to complicate matters further. For some, they have the ability to take the gun off their body and put it into a quick-access holster that's attached to the console, dash, or door panels of their vehicles. Yet in other areas, such a move would be an absolute legal no-no - as a quick example, I'm from Ohio, and it's on the Ohioans for Concealed Carry Forums where I first learned of the FIST Driving Holster (FIST, INC.).

Well, here's a good reason to carry no matter how safe your city normally is. This took place in and around the Walmart I usually shop at, and I often do shop late at night. I work nights so I'm up and the lines are short. If I hadn't been working this weekend, I could have run into this bunch:

Terror in Two Cities: New Details Revealed in Weekend Crime Spree

Quote Originally Posted by loneviking View Post
    I wonder, is the OP left handed? He mentioned that it was tough to wear the gun in the car, that it kept hanging up on things and that's one of the problems we lefties have. Besides getting comfortable with carrying, which takes time, finding out what gear works for you is also important. Keep looking around and trying out new gear. I use a Tommys Gun Pak about half the time as it's really convenient to just buckle on and go. If you're a parent hauling the kids around, there's places such as schools, where you can't carry. You just take the Gun Pak off, stash it under something, alarm the car and go on in. It's also easy to wear in a car. Here's a link:

[HTML]http://www.tommysgunpack.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=1[/HTML]
    Right handed. My problems in the car are related to gun / holster position and it just not sitting right. So I think you are right that a better holster will help. I have been considering the supertuck and will look into the k-holster. I really like to see things in person before spending that much money on something. I cannt find anything like the supertuck in a store around here so that has been a deterrent. The cost of that holster is significant to me. I dont have a problem spending that much, if it is going to do the job. Just dont want to find out after it gets here, that I have to go out and spend it again on something else.

Anyone in the NW Oregon area have a supertuck that might be willing to meet up? (Random thought worth a shot I guess)

Quote Originally Posted by TSiWRX View Post
    ^ That's a very good question - RE: driving.

Even regardless of handedness, that's one area where, like you said, a beginner, especially, will unfortunately have to experiment a little with his or her gear and setup.

I carry at my strong-side, 3-o'clock because of my driving needs. I drive a stickshift, in a car that has a relatively decently bolstered seat - that makes rotating the gun back beyond 3:30 or so starts to get really rather uncomfortable, seated. Similarly, my build (a porky 240 lbs. on a medium-sized 6ft. frame) means that I have a spare-tire overhang, and that makes shifting the gun forward of 2:30 uncomfortable when seated, too.

So yes, experimenting with one's gear selection is very important: what works for one person may or may not work as well for another.

Laws and regulations sometimes serve to complicate matters further. For some, they have the ability to take the gun off their body and put it into a quick-access holster that's attached to the console, dash, or door panels of their vehicles. Yet in other areas, such a move would be an absolute legal no-no - as a quick example, I'm from Ohio, and it's on the Ohioans for Concealed Carry Forums where I first learned of the FIST Driving Holster (FIST, INC.).
    As for driving, at best, I cannt see anyway to draw efficiently with the holster in place while seated behind the wheel. I am not sure a different holster will fix that unless it is a under the shoulder holster (witch I am considering for driving but that doesnt really work for summer at all).

As for driving, at best, I cannt see anyway to draw efficiently with the holster in place while seated behind the wheel. I am not sure a different holster will fix that unless it is a under the shoulder holster (witch I am considering for driving but that doesnt really work for summer at all).
    If you're looking for a dedicated driving holster, I hear ankle holsters are great for being in a car. Not so sure about larger vehicles I suppose.

Personally, I don't have any issues reaching with my m-tac (which I think is functionally identical to the supertuck), though I haven't done any real drills with it. I'm just not that worried about a need in the car. I figure if I can't get away with the car, it makes a much more effective weapon than my pistol. I also figure that if I DO end up in a shooting situation in my car, I'm probably going to be getting out anyway. . . another one of those situations that I figure a civilian isn't going to be nearly as likely to get into as a LEO will.

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    Right handed. My problems in the car are related to gun / holster position and it just not sitting right. So I think you are right that a better holster will help. I have been considering the supertuck and will look into the k-holster. I really like to see things in person before spending that much money on something. I cannt find anything like the supertuck in a store around here so that has been a deterrent. The cost of that holster is significant to me. I dont have a problem spending that much, if it is going to do the job. Just dont want to find out after it gets here, that I have to go out and spend it again on something else.
    Do you have any concealed-carry "clubs" around you? or another shooting-enthusiast club? Members of such tight-knit clubs are often more than willing to step up and help a newbie select the right gear - we've all spent a little too much, and if we can help someone who has budget concerns avoid that trial-and-error, usually, we're more than happy to help.

Yes, a car-mounted holster or a shoulder holster is often the best way to go about it - but the Fist holster I mentioned above will work well for most body types, in most vehicles: if you get a chance to mock-up its positioning while you're seated, you should be able to see whether or not it works for you.

As soon as Ohio's laws allow a console-mounted/door-mounted holster, mine will be there (as with you, my typical dress makes a shoulder holster awkward). Until then, like livewire above, I've adapted my carry-style to allow for relatively easy ingress/egress and driving comfort, while still being able to draw (which I actually accidentally found out how easy it was to do so, with my CBST ...I then tightened-up its retention a little bit, so that it better matched my Pure Kustom and MTAC).

Again, it's going to be highly personal, and in this case, the specific vehicle will also need to be taken into account.

The way I sit relative to the wheel and with what I drive, an ankle holster would unfortunately be far from ideal.

Great thread. I've been struggling myself for weeks just deciding to actually get my permit, one day thinking yes and the next wondering if I'll be comfortable carrying a loaded firearm around. I've had many of the mental discussions with myself I see others have had and actually decided to finally go ahead just this week. I'm glad to see my internal debate on the gravity of carrying isn't just me waffling. Thanks all who posted their thoughts and experiences.
    skandranon likes this.
    Ruger SR9, SR9c, Mark III, SP101 .357, New Vaquero .357, Fusion 1911 Elite .45acp

"Just because we can do a thing, it does not follow that we must to that thing." Get your permit, carrying is another choice altogether.

I think this is one of the best newcomer-issue threads I've ever read here. I was in the same boat a couple of years ago, going back and forth about getting my permit, feeling weirded out while I was carrying, etc. I also wondered if I was being paranoid or prudent carrying all the time. And I've even had the occasional dream/nightmare in which I'd need to use my gun.

Anyway, one thing that helped me become more comfortable was carrying around the house. No worries about being 'made', so it's more stress free, and you can openly adjust the gun and holster as needed to find comfortable and natural ways to carry and move around.

Bottom line: I think these reactions show you're taking this responsibility in a very healthy and mature way. You'll get it all worked out eventually, and be safer and more aware of the world around you for it.

Congrats on the permit, and welcome aboard. :)
    skandranon and gatech33 like this.

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    It takes time to get used to
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

Just came back from lunch with my wife at our local pub. It's a 1/2 mile from a state criminal medical facility, and I've seen some interesting folks walk there in the past. Today, she notices a late 20's guy stashing duffle bags in the woods before entering the pub. Nothing happened, bartender said he'd just been released and was waiting for a ride. On the way home, my better half stated that she's glad I carry. I would venture that many of us began carrying because of a gut instinct to begin doing so, and I've learned to trust my instincts.

As for getting 'made', I do my best to conceal and be comfortable, knowing that I am legal and can even open carry in our state (although I never have).
    Exercise your 2nd amendment rights....not doing so jeopardizes that right for everyone.

Oh, I like the 5.11 belts (no holes) and have a Milt Sparks IWB with forward cant. Very comfortable for my 3" 1911.
    Exercise your 2nd amendment rights....not doing so jeopardizes that right for everyone.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links