First time flying: FL flying to CO, driving to WY

This is a discussion on First time flying: FL flying to CO, driving to WY within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm not going till the end of August, so I have time to plan and get the right case and such. I'll be flying Delta ...

Thread: First time flying: FL flying to CO, driving to WY

First time flying: FL flying to CO, driving to WY

I'm not going till the end of August, so I have time to plan and get the right case and such. I'll be flying Delta with a layover in Atlanta. I've got my resident FL CCW, and both CO and WY have reciprocity with FL. I've started some reading about CO and WY, and the only thing (other than that whole flying bit) that bothers me are the ninnys in Denver who somehow got around the state's preemption clause. What's the word on that - can I CCW in Denver, or should I have the gun already unloaded & locked in the trunk before entering the city limits?

Also, for flying. I'm planning on taking two guns - one for defensive purposes (probably a Glock 23 once I get the wife acceptance factor) and one for plinking in the wilderness of WY (Walther p22). Can I put both of those in the same locked case? I was thinking of having a case like this one for both, and something else for the ammo, then putting both of those in a rolling suitcase like this - not as soft-sided as a duffel bag, but not a hard case.

Is my thinking on all this ok, or should I have my head examined?

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by minameismud View Post
    I'm not going till the end of August, so I have time to plan and get the right case and such. I'll be flying Delta with a layover in Atlanta. I've got my resident FL CCW, and both CO and WY have reciprocity with FL. I've started some reading about CO and WY, and the only thing (other than that whole flying bit) that bothers me are the ninnys in Denver who somehow got around the state's preemption clause. What's the word on that - can I CCW in Denver, or should I have the gun already unloaded & locked in the trunk before entering the city limits?

Also, for flying. I'm planning on taking two guns - one for defensive purposes (probably a Glock 23 once I get the wife acceptance factor) and one for plinking in the wilderness of WY (Walther p22). Can I put both of those in the same locked case? I was thinking of having a case like this one for both, and something else for the ammo, then putting both of those in a rolling suitcase like this - not as soft-sided as a duffel bag, but not a hard case.

Is my thinking on all this ok, or should I have my head examined?
    all your answers can be found on the TSA web site and then go to delta and read their firearms policy. As for Denver, I would stow the weapons for travel before going to the airport

Denver….. CCW in Denver is OK. What they have gotten around is Open Carry. As long as you are concealed you are fine.

Keep in mind that the airport is actually in the City/County of Denver. So make sure that you are either in your car or in a “private” location before you “strap on”. If you have an encounter with the Denver PD, do not expect it to be a pleasant event.

Other than Denver, you should be fine. Have a good trip.

I am in Ohio, flew in a couple days ago. I use a similar case (that locks) and a similar suitcase. My gun case is also described as a one gun case, but I nearly always travel with two guns in it. Ammo, just use factory boxes or reloading ammo boxes (plastic). Depending on the airline, you can have loaded mags as long as they are in a pouch and secured (I use wide rubber bands). It makes "suiting up" much quicker on arrival.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

The strange fact is that CCW is permitted in the terminal as lond as you don't try and go throught security. With that being said DPD uses strong arm techniques sometimes and my try and make it unpleasant. Remeber Concealed is concealed. The airport doesn't have any real pleasant places to "kit up". Get in the rental car and pull off close to the airport in a parking lot and you'll be fine. The doors of the airport have all kinds of warnings all over them about it being a felony to carry a loaded firearm into the building without legal authority, well the CCW is that legal authority. I would bet a lot of DPD officers would say it is illegal if you ask them, that's because they try those sort of tactics in Denver.

They tried that crap in the little town I live in south of Denver at the city building, police station, and the parks. I contacted RMGO and they sent the city attiorney a cease and desist letter. The city attorney said that they were not trying to ban CCW at all, they only ment oc. The town had a citizen bring a shotgun to a city council meeting and just sit there the whole time. Since than incident they posted the door and the police chief goes to all the council meetings.

In CO you can have a firearm in your car without a permit. You can OC in CO but do it out in the rural areas. Avoid OC in Denver and Boulder. I OC occasionaly but not in any metro areas, I don't like conflict. WY ia also very gun friendly. Enjoy your trip.
    Semper Fi

Links