Wife saw the light...I thought it would never happen - Page 2

Wife saw the light...I thought it would never happen

This is a discussion on Wife saw the light...I thought it would never happen within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I let my wife handle every 9mm auto she could find. She narrowed it tot he CW9, the G26 and the PPS. She chose the ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Wife saw the light...I thought it would never happen

I let my wife handle every 9mm auto she could find. She narrowed it tot he CW9, the G26 and the PPS. She chose the 26. But she got to choose. She is extremely happy with what she chose. Let her choose and let her shoot all she can.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    First off--keep your Situational Awareness up over there!!! If you are PCSing to LV, Front Sight is only 50 minuetes tot he west--excellent training--Front Sight has a lot of advertising hype, but the training is good. PM me if you wish, and I can send you to a guy who can get you legit registrations for the 2 or 4 day defensive handgun courses for under $100.........

AS to the weapon for her, let her try LOTS and LOTS. You might also consider the Springfield Armory EMP--built on a 1911 format but chambered in 9mm or .40 SW.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Thanks for all the good responses and well wishes everyone. I am SO looking forward to going home in a few months.

I didn't mean to imply that I was going to choose a gun for her, but after reading my post again I can see how you could infer that. I plan on having her shoot a WIDE variety of everything from single stack semis, double stack semis, SA/DA, DAK, striker fired autos, and revolvers to find out what she likes...THEN I will help guide her towards a good purchase. It is very helpful to read how those of you who have wives who shoot/carry reacted to different platforms. I really appreciate the feedback. Luckily I have 2 G19s (one of which is my EDC) and I think that is definitely going to be the first semi that I have her shoot. I will check out the Kahr CW9 archer51 and the 3" revolvers that you guys mentioned.

I understand that teaching her myself may pose a few issues, NC Bullseye, but she specifically asked that I spend some time teaching her basics at the range BEFORE she takes the CCW class because she doesn't want to be embarrassed there in front of other people. We'll play it by ear and see how it goes.

I do plan on getting some good quality training for her, and looking for some more advanced courses for myself while we are in Vegas. I will definitely PM you about Front Sight, Chaplain Scott, when I get closer to my PCS date in October. Also, I may be buying a Springfield EMP when I get back anyways, since I've wanted one for a long time. :)

I will have her check out those links SIGguy229.

Quote Originally Posted by Unkind213 View Post
    I'm a Glock man myself, and I would love to add a G26 to the collection for her, but I'm thinking with her experience level (no safety, light trigger pull) it might be a little risky for her to handle in a stressful situation.

So, what are your thoughts?
    The fact that I do not have to remember to thumb an external safety in a high stress, hurried situation in exactly why I got a Glock. Train her to ALWAYS index her trigger finger along the slide not in the trigger guard and there should be no trouble.

First off, thank you for your service.

Secondly, welcome to Las Vegas! A sunny town for shady people! I agree wholeheartedly with others to let her pick HER gun and try before you buy.

I'd recommend American Shooters down on Arville as a good place to rent firearms and try them. Its not a cheap experience, but it will certainly save you money if she decides on something that she hates to shoot. When you decide to buy, go to New Frontier Armory in North Las Vegas - by far the best shop in town on both prices and customer service (a place called Bargain Pawn on Las Vegas blvd near down town is a somewhat close second). I avoid Discount Firearms and The Gun Store as they mostly cater to tourists.

The Clark County Shooting Park off Decatur in NLV is a nice place to target shoot ($7/shooter/day) while DSRPC is a private range that allows you to do whatever you like (move while shooting, etc) - but costs $200/yr/family. CCSP also has a 200 yard rifle range, trap, skeet, and 5 stand.

Drop me a PM if you folks would like to come shooting with another couple. My fiance is only 22, 5'1", and 110 pounds but she runs my (I mean HER) STI 1911 .45 like its her job. I've found that shooting with/being helped by another female kind of helps to ease the intimidation factor of it all.

Take care and stay safe!

Unkind Congrats on your wife seeing the light. I tried the same approach your taking and was unsuccesful. We both ended up annoyed but instead of giving up I found a couple of NRA classes for her to attend all of which allowed her to shoot multiple guns and from those she picked her own weapon. Now she is a better shot than I am...when we shoot at the range together lol

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    small .357 revolver she might like. Let test everyting and then tell you what feels good.
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

I recently had to take my wife gun shopping as she finally came around after 14 years or so. She ended up getting a Walther PK380. It isn't the gun I would choose, personally. Mainly because it is barely smaller than my Glock 19, but holds 50% less rounds and is a smaller caliber. Of course, she wanted the smaller caliber so there would be less recoil and as Glock doesn't offer a .380 in the USA, the Walther PK380 seemed to be the best alternative for her. Anyway, she got her CHL so I'm glad she is carrying something, even if it isn't what I'd pick.

VIP Member
    congrats to both of you on her "enlightenment", and thank you for your service

I went through almost the same thing a few years ago when we first got married....she now has her own Glock 26 (WHICH SHE WILL BE ABLE TO CARRY AT THE COLLEGE SHE WORKS AT AS SOON AS THE NEW BILL IS FINALIZED AND SIGNED HERE...WOOHOO!!!!), she also carries different combinations of OC, Kabar TDI, and I got her a pink Taser

as others have said....let her feel 'em out, shoot 'em, decide on 'em....its a personal thing for her, then provide her with training that you've already researched for her...hint hint
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

First of all, THANK YOU for you service. Second, congrats on the good news. LCP or LCR sounds like it'd fit the bill.

Quote Originally Posted by HiPower9 View Post
    First off, thank you for your service.

Secondly, welcome to Las Vegas! A sunny town for shady people! I agree wholeheartedly with others to let her pick HER gun and try before you buy.

I'd recommend American Shooters down on Arville as a good place to rent firearms and try them. Its not a cheap experience, but it will certainly save you money if she decides on something that she hates to shoot. When you decide to buy, go to New Frontier Armory in North Las Vegas - by far the best shop in town on both prices and customer service (a place called Bargain Pawn on Las Vegas blvd near down town is a somewhat close second). I avoid Discount Firearms and The Gun Store as they mostly cater to tourists.

The Clark County Shooting Park off Decatur in NLV is a nice place to target shoot ($7/shooter/day) while DSRPC is a private range that allows you to do whatever you like (move while shooting, etc) - but costs $200/yr/family. CCSP also has a 200 yard rifle range, trap, skeet, and 5 stand.

Drop me a PM if you folks would like to come shooting with another couple. My fiance is only 22, 5'1", and 110 pounds but she runs my (I mean HER) STI 1911 .45 like its her job. I've found that shooting with/being helped by another female kind of helps to ease the intimidation factor of it all.

Take care and stay safe!
    I will check out DSRPC...if it's unlimited shooting for the both of us for 200/yr we will definitely get our $$ worth! Plus I need more than just a static range. :)
    It will still be a few months until I am home, but I will hit you up via PM when we get settled and get ready to go shoot.

Since NV doesn't honor my FL non-resident....and apparently my NM permit is going to expire 60 days after I PCS since I will no longer be considered a "resident"...the first thing on my agenda is going to be getting my NV non-resident CCW. Unfortunately, I don't think there's any way around me sitting through another all day class, but I am going to be in search of a good instructor who can get it done for me. If you know any good ones in Clark County who can take care of me let me know! You can PM me the info if you don't feel comfortable posting it here.

Thanks for your service, Unkind and keep safe over there.

I would highly recommend to your wife that she NOT carry in her PURSE. If the purse gets grabbed there goes the gun with it!

My girlfriend (soon to be wife) is just in the process of getting her HCP and has decided on the smart carry holster. Whatever holster your wife decides on (And who says she should have only one? Like guns, the more holsters she has, the more options she will have!) she should carry the gun ON HER body. Just the humble thoughts of an old hillbilly.

Why wait till you get home? What if she needs it before you get there? Much more likely since you will be caring when you get home. Get a friend or relative to take her shopping now!. Get her enrolled in some classes and have that permit before you get home. I will be doing the same with my wife. She has my Springfield XD bedside but not a permit yet. Hopefully I can encourage her to go ahead and take that class. I recommend you do the same and get your wife to take a few classes and get her CP.

I'm a Viet Nam vet and I thank you for your service. I just got my permit and my wife wants to get her's. I'm still debating on what to carry so your thread is very interesting for us.

I wish both of you success in your search. God Bless!

Mike
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

My wife chose a 38 special revolver...she had trouble pulling the slide of a G19.
    Stephen - Taurus Millenium Pro PT111 9mm
    Sherry - Taurus 85 38 Special

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links