American Self Defense Institute (asdi) – Your First Call After The Police Arrives?

American Self Defense Institute (asdi) – Your First Call After The Police Arrives?

This is a discussion on American Self Defense Institute (asdi) – Your First Call After The Police Arrives? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I did a search on the subject and came up empty handed; my apologies if there is a thread somewhere else – please reroute if ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question American Self Defense Institute (asdi) – Your First Call After The Police Arrives?

I did a search on the subject and came up empty handed; my apologies if there is a thread somewhere else – please reroute if needed.

I became a member of the ASDI long time ago for the reassurance in knowing I had someone in my corner ready to impart legal advice in case I was involved in a self-defense situation. Even though the need to call their “emergency 1-800 number” never materialized, carrying their “emergency instruction card” in front of my drivers license / ID card on my wallet (I imagined I would see the ASDI card and remember my rights before giving a statement) and a copy attached to the dashboard of my vehicle (as a daily reminder when I saw it in front of me before starting to drive), really helped remember my right to remain silent, and to be represented by an attorney. I also liked the fact that I could memorize a “1-800 number” and – in theory – have access to an attorney, versus trying to find one on a location/county/jurisdiction I wasn’t familiar with.

I was wondering if anyone on the forums ever received from ASDI any type of legal advice/representation over a self-defense situation; how hard was it to contact them; and/or if you tried to contact them and never actually got through/received a reply/help/advice/etc… If you had to contact an attorney in a jurisdiction you weren’t familiar with, it will be enlightening – to say the least – to know the process you had to go through/how difficult was it/what was the outcome.

For those of you who have never heard of ASDI, heres a link to their website:

www.americanselfdefense.com/index.asp

Also, visit their “Hot Articles”; I did find their material useful from time to time in justifying the need to carry. Their link:

www.americanselfdefense.com/articles.asp

Assistant Administrator
    I must seriously look into this - thx for the post.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I did call, and spoke to a pleasant gentleman who is the President, I think - I forgot the name. He was very helpful and articulate in explaining how the program worked. He maintains a network of criminal lawyers he can call on around the country. To my surprise he was able to cite the name of a lawyer in my small town. (Darn I forgot to note the name).

I had the feeling this is a one - person organization: i should have asked some more probing questions.

In case of an arrest, you call ASD, and they have a professional brief to calm you down and discuss what not to say until they can get a live lawyer to you (maybe the next day - hang in there!).

They do not pay any legal costs, just find you representation.

I corresponded with an experienced lawyer I had met on a gun forum, and he gave me a couple of local names of pro-gun criminal lawyers that I DID record. I asked what would happen if I were arrested out of state, and his answer was that the lawyer you call will find someone locally for you. Your local lawyer would not require a retainer: I don't know if he would charge for a referral. I have read some threads on fnding a lawyer, and found the recommendation that you talk to him for 15 minutes to get aquainted, and get a few pointers. There should be no charge for this.

Here is a good thread:
    http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...ht=find+lawyer

So my take is there are two ways to go: set up your own support system, or use ASD; or have both - one card up each sleeve.

If anyone collects more info, please post it here.

C

I think I would just rather have a bussiness card to my lawyer in my wallet at all times and cut out the middle man. Would rather be ready 100% of the time, instead of carrying a cheat card around.

Just my 2cents.

1943 - 2009

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

cgraham - Good to know the number actually works. In my opinion, having someone there calming you down, telling you what to do and helping you find a lawyer – that’s worth gold to me. I became a member because I traveled a lot, usually by myself and couldn’t depend on anyone to help me get out of jail – guess the $50 was money well spent.

spud – While it be wise to keep a few business cards of criminal lawyers that will work in your jurisdiction, you can't really do that if you frequently travel cross country. I remember trying to find a criminal lawyer for a traffic citation I was issued in a state different from where I was domiciled at the time, and it was almost impossible; imagine trying to do it after you defended yourself, are read your rights / taken under custody.

Captain Crunch – ASDI…,why didn’t I think about searching the acronym in the first place?

As I was advised by an attorney, your home lawyer should be able to find you a lawyer wherever you are in the US. I'm not sure how that differs from the referral service.

C

Quote Originally Posted by cagueits
    Also, visit their “Hot Articles”; I did find their material useful from time to time in justifying the need to carry. Their link:

www.americanselfdefense.com/articles.asp
    The link "Doctors Practive Form for Patients" is hilarious. It would be worth printing out and keeping in your wallet for the next time a doctors tries to explain gun safety.

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    Here is another insurance plan that cost a little more but they actually pay for the lawyer

http://www.chlpp.com/home.html
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

It sounds like you have to be a resident of Texas to enjoy the benefits .

CHLP appears to be a national plan, but it only pays your legal fees befre the Grand Jury, which decides if there is sufficient evidence to send to to trial. It does not pay for criminal defense, or defence in a civil case. I'm not saying it's a bad deal ($129yr), just that it has severe limitations.

You don't find out the terms of the agreement until after you have signed up: see membership page.

Also, you don't get to pick your own lawyer.

Did you notice that none of the testimnials were from individuals who had been helped by the plan?

I always want to know if these organizations are for-profit operations. If they are, your interests are unlikely to come first.

C

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    Graham

Yeah I noticed the testimonials, and I have no idea if it is a good deal or not but to me it looked like a more comprehensive plan then ASDI, but it is 4 times as much also.
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

And I thought shopping for car insurance was a hassle.

It sounds like a good deal if you live in Texas; I will definitely look into if its a national plan for people who don’t live there. I could shed $130 a year for legal representation if it covers me up to a grand jury, I really can’t afford $5000-$10000 for the same coverage – I just don’t have that kind of cash in my bank account.

Any other plans out there worth taking a look into?

Quote Originally Posted by cgraham
    As I was advised by an attorney, your home lawyer should be able to find you a lawyer wherever you are in the US.
    Right. If you get arrested outside of your home state don't even TRY to find an attorney where you are. Call your regular attorney, back home, and let HIM find a local attorney for you. They do that sort of thing all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by cagueits
    Any other plans out there worth taking a look into?
    Doesn't NRA offer a legal insurance plan for a small fee? I think that they pay everything if the case is dropped or if you go to trial are found innocent.
    I'm sure someone else here knows more about it than I do..I could be wrong so don't listen to me ...I'll look it up

Edited to add:
    Sorry it's not actually offered BY the NRA...but you get a discounted rate if you go through them...
    Self-Defense Coverage
    Introducing new protection for defending yourself in the courts and in your home.

An exclusive offer for NRA members only.

Now there is insurance available to back up NRA members who need extra protection not found in most homeowners' policies.

The new Self-Defense coverage is a rider to the Excess Personal Liability coverage. It provides civil defense and liability and criminal defense reimbursement if you are involved in an act of self-defense.

What is Covered

Provides coverage up to the limit selected for bodily injury or property damage caused by an act of self-defense.
    Cost of civil suit defense is provided in addition to the limit of liability for bodily injury and property damage.
    Criminal Defense Reimbursement for alleged criminal actions involving self-defense when you are acquitted of such criminal charges or the charges are dropped.

Liability Limit Options

$100,000 Combined Single Limit with $50,000 criminal defense reimbursement sub-limit
    $250,000 Combined Single Limit with $50,000 criminal defense reimbursement sub-limit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links