The grip size, compromize

This is a discussion on The grip size, compromize within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Personally, I prefer small grips since I've got small hands. This can be a definite plus (as already been stated!) for CC . Even with ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The grip size, compromize

Personally, I prefer small grips since I've got small hands. This can be a definite plus (as already been stated!) for CC .

Even with the pinkie 'hanging loose', it feels much more comfortable to me than shooting a full-sized grip/frame. Being a newbie, I couldn't believe what a world of difference there was in comfort for me between my Beretta 92FS and a XD9sc.
    It's not about the caliber you carry, it's about how you USE it.

Acts 4:12
    (Mohammad Who?)

1988 DIE HARD 2008
    NRA Member

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    I'm with ya P95...

Smallish grips just dont do it for me, thats why I tend to tote the bigger guns like the Commander and the P225.

I've got a Taurus 85 in stainless that I like but I never was crazy about that short little grip. I put an Uncle Mikes "Boot Grip" on it and it made a lot of difference in the way it feels because it added a bit of length to it.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

JimmyC,

You are absolutely right. The most important thing is to have the gun in the first place. But I must disagree with a grip extender on a G26 making it like a G19. True it will add a little size, but the barrel is still longer on the G19 and the grip would depend on what type you use. A pierce grip extender without adding capacity will not affect concealability much at all. A pierce grip extender that adds 2 rounds is larger but still not enough to equal a G19. The only one that comes close is a scherer grip extender that adds capacity like the one in my avatar (actually it's a 27). But the overall size is still smaller than a G19 or a G23 and is a little easier to conceal.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

NY27...you sure know your stuff about all these dimensions and extensions; I just know what works for me.

For me, the grip is what's most difficult to hide, so anything added there is bad news. I bought a sub-compact pistol for it's size (actually for it's lack of size!), shoot it just fine (even compete in IDPA occasionally with it), so I surely don't want to buy stuff to make it bigger.

I guess others see it as you do, or the add on goodies wouldn't be on the market. I still say if you want a bigger gun, buy it, don't buy a small one and then grow it...heh.
    Last edited by JimmyC4; July 26th, 2006 at 11:08 PM.

JimmyC,

To each his own. You should absolutely carry whatever makes you comfortable. Train with whatever you carry and it will serve you well.

Stay safe and be well.

NY27,
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Lead Moderator
    without a place to put my pinkie I have problems shooting accurately.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Define "problems" rocky? Do you have a measurement of the stated problems vs. your normal groupings? Just curious how badly it affects someone else.
    N.R.A. Member
    G.O.A. Member
    Unified Sportsmen of Florida Member

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links