The grip size, compromize

This is a discussion on The grip size, compromize within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; And that rhymes I got to thinking just how much I dislike really small and short grips. partly because of largish hands. Of course the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The grip size, compromize

Assistant Administrator

And that rhymes

I got to thinking just how much I dislike really small and short grips. partly because of largish hands. Of course the compromize aspect is grip feel vs concealability.

I do tho find a huge bonus in control when I have the pinky included - tho not always possible, instance my R9. With things like 642's tho I would personally have a larger grip rather than smaller. My old M85 has Hogues which extend enough to help - and the CT's on my SP-101 similarly give enough grip area.

Main reason for me is simply controllability - I am aware that a quick draw and presentation works significantly better when there is more grip, however small the gun.

Some of the real diminutive (tho pretty) cocobolo's and similar just do not do it for me. Thoughts?
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I have a LOT of friends who feel as you do , they almost demand a full grip . For myself my shooting don't seem to care what my pinkie finger is doing , thou for comfort a longer grip is better , my shooting does not suffer in any way if its flapping in the breeze .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

If you can't add a magazine extension, you don't have to let the pinkie float in the breeze. Curl it under the magazine base plate, and lock it down with the pinkie of the other hand. Works for me with the Glock 26 and Kel-Tec P11.

C

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar
    I actually find that I shoot better with a less than fullsize grip. I tend to place my hands higher on the grip every time, whereas with a full size 1911 type grip, I tend to have problems with grip consistancy. Of course my meat hooks are not of the XL variety either.

Assistant Administrator
    Curl it under the magazine base plate, and lock it down with the pinkie of the other hand
    True enough his helps and I do it but - I have to say that a mag extension or grip size increase feels so much better.

I mentioned my R9 - and that is where I employ that approach but - nothing seems to provide the benefit to me of that larger grip. I know that more grip = more potential problem for concealment - certainly re pocket carry.

I guess overall I am lucky with carry options and can cover about anything - thus my desire for good grips. Of course my 226 with CT's is about Nirvana
    Chris - P95

Quote Originally Posted by cgraham
    If you can't add a magazine extension, you don't have to let the pinkie float in the breeze. Curl it under the magazine base plate, and lock it down with the pinkie of the other hand. Works for me with the Glock 26 and Kel-Tec P11.

C

That's pretty much what I do when shooting a small frame auto like my Makarov or the Glock 26 I used to have.

South of Ol' Tascosa, two miles from water, twenty miles from Hell
    As long as the Grips are wood or plastic, rubber grips grab clothing and they print.

Jungle Work

Assistant Administrator
    rubber grips grab clothing and they print
    I agree JW, they can but it does seem to depend on the rig position and the specific rubber grips too.

The Hogues on my venerable M85 were no problem at all and my 226 CT's are potentially a tad ''grippy'' but my over-garment pretty much takes care of this. Either my vest as now (summer) or longer heavy shirt in winter.

I did have one pair of rubbers on a carry which hung up - forget what now but - seems not all are bad.
    Chris - P95

Compromises for concealability

I also would prefer a "3 finger" handgun grip if I get a choice, and only have 2 small guns with "2 finger" grips. These are a Walther PPK .380 (with flat baseplate mag) and a S&W 642 snubby with boot grips.

But these two guns are extremely concealable because of the short grips, and can fit in a pocket, which is convenient. So I put up with the 2 finger grip which makes the gun slightly harder to shoot. I figure that these guns would be used at very close range anyway, so perhaps it doesn't matter that much.

I have a grip extender for my Glock 27. It also adds one round in capacity. I can shoot it with the stock 9 round short mag but I prefer the larger grip.

On my S&W 640 and 60 I use uncle mike's boot grip. It is not a problem with recoil. However, I have hogue bantom grips on my 340PD which is a 12oz .357 mag. Now that I don't enjoy shooting. So I have ordered the larger combat grips from S&W which will hopefully help.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

I'm fortunate, maybe... I'm like RR and it really doesn't matter what my little finger is doing. But, I have little hands anyway, so it has to be a tiny gun before my little finger can't grip something.

My thoughts are pretty much in line with the remarks from Pogo2.

Since this forum is about carry, that's where I find that my Glock 26 shines, in spite of leaving my pinky flapping in the breeze.

Actually, I find that there is not a significant difference in how I shoot with a more complete grip (maybe I'm lousy with both?!).

What is important to me is that I have my carry gun on me and not in the safe or dresser drawer back home. The concealability with the shorter grip helps assure that I actually carry that pistol. And, to add a grip extension simply defeats the purpose of buying the sub-compact--if I wanted a longer grip I'd have gone with the Glock 19 or even the 17.

Yes, a larger grip is great; what is even greater is to have my carry pistol with me at all times, pinky in the breeze or not...heh!

JD
    Administrator

Custom 1911

Well P95 Have I found the gun for you. It's a custom built 1911, full size frame from Colt, with a 3" upper from Caspian, basically it's the reverse of the CCW models of the 1911. Large grip, short barrel

Assistant Administrator
    I'll send you my shipping addy - be happy to ''sample it'' LOL!
    Chris - P95

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    I'll send you my shipping addy - be happy to ''sample it'' LOL!
    HAHA, unfortunately I bought my CCW LDA instead of it. It is located at Hoffmans Gunshop in Berlin, CT. but I tell you it was NICE, and I think the barrel was actually 3-1/4...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links