One Officers view on CC. - Page 3

One Officers view on CC.

This is a discussion on One Officers view on CC. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by 64zebra I can't speak for other states....but here in Texas an officer could have anything from department discipline up to charges for ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: One Officers view on CC.

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra View Post
    I can't speak for other states....but here in Texas an officer could have anything from department discipline up to charges for inattention/neglect of duty, cowardice, and/or violation of the oath of office

also, the contest of the SCOTUS ruling is so that people can't sue a department/officer because they were unable to get to them, unable to help, etc., not so an officer can just watch while someone is getting assaulted, etc and do nothing about it
    Yeah, for sure and as they should be, but I'm still wondering what the people were charged with. Is there a crime called "failing to assist a police officer" or something similar? It's easy to imagine a scenario in which a police officer demands help from a citizen bystander, who ends up dead and if they had refused to help they would have been arrested (and thus charged with a crime). That's a heck of a pickle to put the people in, even if they are morons.

It is generally known as Posse Comitatus. It is the authority of LE to conscript able-bodied males to assist them.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stanislaskasava View Post
    Yeah, for sure and as they should be, but I'm still wondering what the people were charged with. Is there a crime called "failing to assist a police officer" or something similar? It's easy to imagine a scenario in which a police officer demands help from a citizen bystander, who ends up dead and if they had refused to help they would have been arrested (and thus charged with a crime). That's a heck of a pickle to put the people in, even if they are morons.
    PM sent, too much info to hijack the thread lol
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

GKG

Posse Comitatus Act...

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    It is generally known as Posse Comitatus. It is the authority of LE to conscript able-bodied males to assist them.
    Perhaps you were referring to a different Act.

The Posse Comitatus Act refers to Federal Law passed (June 1878) at the end of reconstruction substantially limiting the powers of the federal government to use the military for law enforcement. It prohibits members of the Army and Air Force (the USMC & Navy are covered under DoD Acts) from exercising state law enforcement, police, or peace officer powers that maintain "law and order" on non-federal property (states and their counties and municipal divisions) within the United States.

It has NOTHING to do with deputizing or conscripting ANYONE to assist law enforcement.

The Act was designed to prevent the Department of Defense from interfering in domestic law enforcement.
    Geoff & Suzy-If you're reading it, Suzy typed it.
    In Loving Memory of my baby brother Benjamin Ian
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" Plato
    "Those who give up liberty for the sake of security deserve neither liberty nor security." Benjamin Franklin

Not the Posse Comitatus Act, Posse comitatus in common law.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

GKG
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Not the Posse Comitatus Act, Posse comitatus in common law.
    Sorry, I didn't know this was what you were referring to.

This common law 'concept' however, is centuries old, dating back to a time before law enforcement was viewed as a highly specialized task which required unique training. Any SO or PD could be creating an outlandishly large financial liability for themselves and whichever city/county/state or jurisdiction they represent. Just some food for thought.
    Geoff & Suzy-If you're reading it, Suzy typed it.
    In Loving Memory of my baby brother Benjamin Ian
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" Plato
    "Those who give up liberty for the sake of security deserve neither liberty nor security." Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Knightrider View Post
    I was talking to an officer and I informed him that I had a CPL and was carrying (I have to by law) and he stopped me in mid sentence and said, "GOOD! Everyone should be carrying, I can't tell you how many people I stop and they have a CPL and don't have a weapon on them." and following that was a lot of pro 2A comments. I was kind of shocked of how positive he was about it.
    You were just "talking" with LE and you had to inform? Is that right? In your state, if I asked a cop for directions on the street, I'd have to inform?

That seems a bit drastic.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    You were just "talking" with LE and you had to inform? Is that right? In your state, if I asked a cop for directions on the street, I'd have to inform?

That seems a bit drastic.
    he didn't say what he was talking about or why...maybe it was official contact, maybe not, we dont know since knightrider didn't say
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Once when getting ready for a vacation in New Mexico, I called a State police post there to inquire about carrying a weapon.
    This was well before you could just look this stuff up on your laptop. The young lady Sergent told me that I was welcome to carry in New Mexico. It was their opinion that an armed society was a polite society and saved them (State Police) a lot of work. Then she said ---"Just don't take it into a bar, that will get you into some trouble."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links