Carry advice?

This is a discussion on Carry advice? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I agree asking for an exemption is not the way to go. As we used to say in the Navy "is is easier to get ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Carry advice?

I agree asking for an exemption is not the way to go. As we used to say in the Navy "is is easier to get forgiveness than persmission". The only policy I can find and that I have been informed of is the prohibition against having a firearm in the company car. I have generally ignored this in the past as I carry a firearm when I travel long distances out of town. Also many of the places I go do not allow firearms, then I will have to leave in the vehicle. I just have to make sure that no one sees the firearm and the best way I can see is to carry a small gun such as a Kel-Tec .380 in my front or back pocket.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I think that this is a moral decision only you can make.

Personally, when I accepted employment with my present employer, I accepted all the conditions of that employment.

My employer does not even allow me to have any firearm at all in my personal vehicle if it is parked on their property. Well, there really isn't anywhere else close to park. I don't like it but I did agree to abide by the companie's rules and they agreed to pay me a lot of money!

But like I said, thatís entirely your call sir!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

IMHO - Asking permission is seeking denial... Asking for an exemption PUTS YOU ON THE RADAR and RAISES RED FLAGS... Why bring atention to yourself...

The restrictions you are faced with are policies - NOT LAWS. I am NOT suggesting breaking any laws... Policies are not laws.

Worst case, you are terminated from a job you would have had to seek replacement for anyway - Right?

CONSIDER a Kel-Tec P-3AT (same size frame as the P-32, larger caliber, better advantage) in a totally hidden IWB or a SmartCarry rig under your clothes... TOTALLY undetectable - they will not know unless you tell them...
    Semper Fi ~

Eagle Scout 1975
    U.S.M.C. 1978-84
    Commercial Pilot
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Certified Flight Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor
    NRA Life Member
    TSRA Member

www.TexasArmament.com

Reminds me of a true story while on recruiting duty in Colorado. We drove government vehicles and were not allowed to have firearms in them. A fellow recruiter, who shall go nameless, carried an over/under shotgun in his gov car. One day he stopped, laid the shotgun on the hood of the vehicle and proceeded to take a shot at a varmint. The slug in the bottom barrel of the shotgun made a hole in the center ridge of the car hood.

He was pretty apprenhensive after he shot the car and worried some about being held negligent and liable for property damage. He eventually made the necessary repairs, which he paid for out of his own pocket.

Quote "Don't do the crime if you can't do the time."
    "Beware of the man who only owns one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

pogo2 said it right

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2
    As much as I object to your company's policy, I would follow it if I were an employee. I think that is the "deal" you make when you take the job.

But if guns are forbidden, I would certainly get an appropriate knife and some knife training, as well as some pepper spray. Martial arts are also good, but require time and dedication.
    pogo2 is on the right track. In the USA, we value the right of citizens to chart their own destiny and to have the right to make their own rules on their own property. I think that your employer is very wrong but he/she does have the right to make the rules.

The main thing that sets law-abiding gun owners apart from the crooks of the world is that we obey the law, even those that we don't particularly like.

Try to find another job or consider starting your own company to compete. It isn't fair but taking the moral high ground is always, in the end, the best way to go.
    G27guy
    Member of Western Missouri Shooters Alliance, NRA
    NRA Instructor

"I'm like a sheepdog: friendly to people, kittens, and puppies. But if you're a wolf---look out! I'll protect me and mine and maybe even the !"

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    Ever consider an ankle holster? Buy a good one like from Alessi and the gun will disappear and you probably won't even notice it. Get a small Glock (can't believe I'm even saying that four letter word) or a snubbie revolver and train, train, train before carrying. I like it much better than pocket carry as that at times can be obvious.

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar
    I disagree with the Idea that this is a moral issue. Abiding by the law and abiding by some assanine company policy are two completely different things. Your company is not your friend, family or even a person. It is an entity that wants to make money, and you want to make money from.
    Further, the Idea that one really has a choice to find another company to work for that doesn't have some draconian weapons policies is becoming more and more a piece of fiction. I'm a college student, do you think I can really find an institution of higher learning that doesn't have a prohibition against carrying a firearm on campus? I do not recognize an employer's right to deny me the ability to defend myself. I will work hard for my money, giving them what they pay for. And if the time comes where they have to terminate me for defending my life, I'll be happy to be alive and find another employer to work hard for.

Quote Originally Posted by blueyedevil
    I disagree with the Idea that this is a moral issue. Abiding by the law and abiding by some assanine company policy are two completely different things. Your company is not your friend, family or even a person. It is an entity that wants to make money, and you want to make money from.
    Further, the Idea that one really has a choice to find another company to work for that doesn't have some draconian weapons policies is becoming more and more a piece of fiction. I'm a college student, do you think I can really find an institution of higher learning that doesn't have a prohibition against carrying a firearm on campus? I do not recognize an employer's right to deny me the ability to defend myself. I will work hard for my money, giving them what they pay for. And if the time comes where they have to terminate me for defending my life, I'll be happy to be alive and find another employer to work hard for.

Ditto to what he said . As long as I am breaking no laws I would not put company policy nor my job ahead of my life. I can find a new job but you only get one life, dead is permanent.

First, "Glock" is a 5 letter word.

Second, I agree with blueyedevel for the most part. Being in between jobs, I can tell you, finding a place to work that DOESN'T prohibit carrying on company property, company time, company whatever, is next to impossible.

While most bosses I've had are sympathetic, they HAVE to have the rules they do to save on insurance premiums. At least that's the excuse they give.

One boss I had though, told me on the side, off the record, if he doesn't see it, and no one else sees it, then it must not be there. It was his sort of "don't ask, don't tell" policy.

Unfortunately, bosses like him are few and far between. It was of course, understood, if someone else did see it, and complained, I'd be gone. Wish I'd stayed at that job, it was fun.

I DO NOT plan to break the law. I am considering breaking company rules. The odds of getting permission to carry are virtually nil. My boss will never see it do carry he only visits a couple of time a year and alwys give advance warning.
    As far as what type carry method to use, ya'll have given me some good options. Ankle carry is possible but I spend some time crawling around the floor and it might show. An IWB is possible and might work if I use a small auto. I rarely wear a jacket and in AZ it is useful for only a couple of month a year. Pocket carry is a pretty good option and is the way I am currently leaning. There is no hurry it will probably be a few weeks before I get my permit and then I can make my decision.

Moral High Ground?????

Quote Originally Posted by G27guy
    It isn't fair but taking the moral high ground is always, in the end, the best way to go.
    I have to Strongly Disagree Here...

Doing what is right is always the moral high ground...

Sometimes doing what is right is in conflict with the norm...

This is HARDLY a moral issue...
    Semper Fi ~

Eagle Scout 1975
    U.S.M.C. 1978-84
    Commercial Pilot
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Certified Flight Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor
    NRA Life Member
    TSRA Member

www.TexasArmament.com

As I said in another thread, my agency requires that I do not carry (as in on your body) a firearm to/from work or while at work. Now, technically speaking, if the firearm is not carried then it technically doesn't mean that I would be breaking policy if it were not on me. Additionally, if the firearm would stay in my vehicle while I am inside the building, then I still would not hypothetically have it on me because it is in my property. Not saying that I do or anything. ;O)

When talking about a folding knife, that's a totally different affair. No one ever said anything about "weapons", it was "firearms." ;O) heh

Cheers.

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    If it were me, I would weigh the options based on what amount of risk I felt that I was facing by going unarmed. Most likely. I would opt to carry, as I can find a new job much easier than coming back to life.. My choice would be a small semiautomatic, 9 mm or higher. The Keltec is an option. It wouldn't be mine, as I have had a bad experience with a P11 that I purchased. Since I have already gone into this in detail, I won't now. If you're interested, just do a search, or just email me. The carry method that I would use is a Nemesis pocket holster. I use one for my Glock 26 when I need to carry that way. If I were violating a company policy, I wouldn't chose the Glock, as it's too thick, and while I've never had a problem, the extra girth increases the risk of discovery, in this regard, the Keltec is a better choice. I personally think that an ankle holster, or an IWB, would be poor choices, as he risk of discovery is higher than with the pocket holster. The Nemesis in particular works well, as it has an outside surface that sticks to the inside of the pocket for the draw, and remains well hidden in the pocket the other times. Of course, it easily is removed from the pocket just by putting your hand around it and pulling it out of the pocket. I would check out the Kahr small 9mm, or even the P45, a 45 caliber small gun. I'm sure there are several options available. If you already have a Keltec, and are comfortable with it, then you gave that aspect covered. Good luck, in whatever choice that you make.

The main thing that sets law-abiding gun owners apart from the crooks of the world is that we obey the law, even those that we don't particularly like.
    In this case, we're not talking about the law. We're talking about company policy. Breaking company policy != breaking the law.

Quote Originally Posted by M1911
    In this case, we're not talking about the law. We're talking about company policy. Breaking company policy != breaking the law.
    Actually, in most states, breaking company policy does NOT equal breaking the law. At least, not until they find out and ask you to stop. At that point, you'd be breaking the law in Michigan.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links