Carry advice?

This is a discussion on Carry advice? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; does NOT equal Perhaps you are not familiar with programmer talk. The "!" means "not" in many programming languages. So "!=" means "not equal". Sorry ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Carry advice?

does NOT equal
    Perhaps you are not familiar with programmer talk. The "!" means "not" in many programming languages. So "!=" means "not equal". Sorry for not being more clear.

2. Remove Ads

I'm not a huge fan of them personally, but pager pal might be a good option for someone in your situation...or did someone already mention this and I missed it :) sounds like it might be an option to think about and with the kind of work you do it would fit right in...

Yes, I have thought of the Pager Pal. I bought one recently on Ebay for $25. So far I am not real impressed with it but as I don't have my permit yet I can't give it a real good test. It seems pretty stiff so maybe it one needs to be broken in. I will give it a chance when I get the permit or I might try wearing it around the house to both give it a try and to break it in.

I'd go with the Kel-Tec. Yes it's disobeying policy, but if you ever have to use it, you and those around you will be darn happy that you had it. That being said, if you ever have to use it, you would also IMMEDIATELY start looking for a new job. I don't know what it is about these buisnessmen but even when you protect there property and ther employees, they'll still want to throw the book at you.

Eddie
    "I'd rather have my gun and not need it, than need it and not have it"

There was an interesting article in CC magazine some time ago, wherein the author said it was your mandate to carry concealed, and that you owed it to society. And, if I remember correctly he stood by this premise, whether it was legal to carry or not.

That said, I can see where morally, you could be right .. but still, that could get you in some deep doo doo.

In your case, you know the policy. If you don't want to hear the answer, then don't ask the question. Simply accept the consequences if they occur. By asking them for preferential treatment, I'm afraid you only bring attention to yourself. Living without the job, is a heck of a lot better than dying while employed. But, I'd suggest deep cover .... with your bosses eyes so far away, probably your biggest concern would be your clients or the public "making" you, and turning you in. Good luck; tough decision.

cray

Yea, it is a tough decision but I have done a lot of research this week and I can no find no policy against carrying a firearm. The only policy I know of and which they know I know of is that I am not allowed to have a firearm in the company vehicle. I will probably attempt to use a personal vehicle but the last time I tried I met resistance, I hate the minivan anyway. Maybe I will just push harder to use my own vehicle. Hmmm, a Dodge Magnum would be nice. Thanks to all for your suggestions and comments.

Have the same problem but, in my case the Boss actually showed me the difference in Insurance rates and flat out stated thats why He did not carry in the building. Asked to use my own car and He readily agreed, enen though He knew why I asked. (Helps that He is also a friend.)

PS Center console on a Dodge Magnum is a great place while traveling.

William Wallace
    Do not stand between Me and Mine!!

Quote Originally Posted by fsufanaz
    Yea, it is a tough decision but I have done a lot of research this week and I can no find no policy against carrying a firearm. The only policy I know of and which they know I know of is that I am not allowed to have a firearm in the company vehicle. I will probably attempt to use a personal vehicle but the last time I tried I met resistance, I hate the minivan anyway. Maybe I will just push harder to use my own vehicle. Hmmm, a Dodge Magnum would be nice. Thanks to all for your suggestions and comments.
    Who pays for the gas, you or the company?
    If you do, and you have to re-coup at the end of the year via expenses on you tax return, that might be a way to get to use your own vehicle.

If not, forget it.

The company pays for the gas, insurance and all maintenance plus I have it for personal use as well. It is my primary vehicle, the wife drives the Excursion. So that would be a drag but at least there would be no restrictions.

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    I think you know your choices.

Obey policy and keep your job (until "The Man" tires of you for other reasons), but be vulnerable. Break policy and risk losing your job. Try to do both by driving your own wheels.

No one could really judge you unfavorably for any of those choices.

But if you do break policy, you need DEEP cover. Smartcarry or a belly band, I'm thinking.

Other choices might include (I have no personal experience with them, so I throw them out only as options to consider) a thigh holster or an undershirt-style shoulder holster.

Good luck with your dilemma, and stay safe!

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I disagree with the Idea that this is a moral issue. Abiding by the law and abiding by some assanine company policy are two completely different things.
    IMHO the law -vs- policy does not enter into it , and to me it is verry much a moral issue . My word is my bond , and when i agreed to take money for doing a job , i also agreed to abide by the policys of the company . If i cant abide by company policy , for whateaver reason ( not just the ccw issue ) then i need to find other employment .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Here's my 0.02. There is a small debate going on about company policy not equalling law. I believe he ststed he repaired medical equipment. In the great state of Texas, it is a felony to carry in a hospital. If he has to go into a medical facility, which I'm surehe does because a CAT scanner or MRI is a major PITA to relocate.
    This is going to require him to leave the carry piece in the car or commit a felony several times a day. I'd just not carry and insure I have a really stout blade.

Steve
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by san Antone RR
    In the great state of Texas, it is a felony to carry in a hospital.
    This, sir, is not true... it was AMENDED in 2005.

Here is the Statute:
    PC 46.035. UNLAWFUL CARRYING OF HANDGUN BY LICENSE
    HOLDER. (a) A license holder commits an offense if the license
    holder carries a handgun on or about the license holder's person
    under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code,
    and intentionally fails to conceal the handgun.
    (b) A license holder commits an offense if the license holder intentionally,
    knowingly, or recklessly carries a handgun under the authority
    of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, regardless of
    whether the handgun is concealed, on or about the license holder's
    person:
    (1) on the premises of a business that has a permit or license issued
    under Chapter 25, 28, 32, 69, or 74, Alcoholic Beverage Code, if
    the business derives 51 percent or more of its income from the sale or
    service of alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption, as determined
    by the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission under Section
    104.06, Alcoholic Beverage Code;
    (2) on the premises where a high school, collegiate, or professional
    sporting event or interscholastic event is taking place, unless
    the license holder is a participant in the event and a handgun is used
    in the event;
    (3) on the premises of a correctional facility;
    (4) on the premises of a hospital licensed under Chapter 241,
    Health and Safety Code, or on the premises of a nursing home licensed
    under Chapter 242, Health and Safety Code, unless the license
    holder has written authorization of the hospital or nursing home
    administration, as appropriate;
    (5) in an amusement park; or
    (6) on the premises of a church, synagogue, or other established
    place of religious worship.

(i) Subsections (b)(4), (b)(5), (b)(6), and (c) do not apply if the actor
    was not given effective notice under Section 30.06.

(emphasis added)
    AND it is was never a Felony:
    (g) An offense under Subsection (a), (b), (c), (d), or (e) is a Class A misdemeanor, unless the offense is committed under Subsection (b)(1) or (b)(3), in which event the offense is a felony of the third degree (emphasis added)
    A hospital, church, synagogue, nursing home, amusement park, etc. is like no other place - benign if NOT POSTED, prohibited IF POSTED.
    Last edited by TC-TX; July 31st, 2006 at 06:31 PM.
    Semper Fi ~

Eagle Scout 1975
    U.S.M.C. 1978-84
    Commercial Pilot
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Certified Flight Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor
    NRA Life Member
    TSRA Member

www.TexasArmament.com

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs
    IMHO the law -vs- policy does not enter into it , and to me it is verry much a moral issue . My word is my bond , and when i agreed to take money for doing a job , i also agreed to abide by the policys of the company . If i cant abide by company policy , for whateaver reason ( not just the ccw issue ) then i need to find other employment .
    98% of the time I feel the same way which is why I open carry in restaurants with alcohol in VA as required, but what do you do when you get stuck with my situation: Before starting in a company I thoroughly read the rules and regs. I couldn't find a no guns policy whatsoever so I signed. However, about a year later and after hiring an new HR manager (I hate that term btw...Human Resources, but that's for a different conversation), they added one. So that left me searching for a new job, but I sure as heck wasn't going to compromise my safety in the mean time. Morals mean horse manure if you're dead! "here lies packinnova 19xx-20xx. He followed a higher calling and lived by his moral values...tragically killed by a coworker in an office shooting"

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I won't touch the moral aspects of this. I believe there are some, in fact, i think in any choice we make there are generally some moral considerations unless we're talking about what time we're going to to go to bed.

this one is simple. The company has rights, you have yours. When you entered into the relationship, you accepted theirs. If you violate their rights (i.e., conditions of employment) they have the right to fire you. Your call.

I agree with those who said DON'T ASK!!!!! It would flag you big time. I'd only ask if there were unusual and compelling circumstances such as having a close friend as my boss, but even then you're putting them in a situation by asking.

I would ONLY pocket carry a KelTec or something equally small which means you only have a few choices. I would NOT use smart carry. I have one, like it, and have used it a long time, but I can imagine how I could accidentially drop my gun when using the bathroom if you can imagine what I mean.

Ankle carry would be CRAZY. To easy to get your pant leg hung up or forget and sit down and cross your leg even for just one second at the wrong time.

No, pocket holster would be the way to go and even then, you'd want to wear pants that have heavier fabric, nice deep pockets, etc.

I have the similar situation where I work. No firearms allowed on the premises!

make the right choice!

God Bless

Gideon

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links