Carry advice?

This is a discussion on Carry advice? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am awaiting my CCW permit in Arizona, it should arrive in about a month. I plan to carry as much as possible but I ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Carry advice?

Carry advice?

I am awaiting my CCW permit in Arizona, it should arrive in about a month. I plan to carry as much as possible but I am limited by my work. I repair medical equipment for a large company, working in various hospitals and surgery center. I drive a company car and am not allowed to have a firearm in the car. I am pretty unsupervised as my Boss is several hundred miles away and I only see him a couple of time a year and always with plenty of advance warning. If I am discovered at work armed I stand a good chance of losing my job. I had planned for my primary carry to be a .38 J frame but I am not sure now.
    The question is do I carry a small Kel-Tec in my pocket during the day, as it is completely concealed and stands very littel chance of being discovered? Or do I go unarmed? What do you guys think? Do you guys have any other suggestions. Thanks in advance for your thoughts and suggestions.

2. Remove Ads

If I were in your shoes.The Keltec would be perfect. But thats me....

I agree on the KelTec...but definately weigh out the legality of what you have to gain vs what you have to lose---how important is this job? how strict is their anti-CCW policy? Would you be depending on this job as a stepping stone to bigger and better things? Would being caught hold any other legal ramifications? Yes....CCW is your 2A right...but unfortunately in some cases private business has the right to make "private" regulations based on their collective beliefs.
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

This is just my opinion, and I'm not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV.

I'd carry the biggest gun I'd think I could get away with and not be found out. That of course depends on how you dress. If you wear a suit, do you take your jacket off?

You need a carry method that will not be revealed when moving about. I know, I used to work on business copy machines. Sometimes I just left the gun in the company van. It was the easiest to do. That also depended on the neighborhood I was in too.

You might want to look at some of the belt pouch options from Uncle Mike's. I got a belt pak that will hold a small frame revolver, or a semi-auto, up to at least a Bersa Thunder .380. I usually carry my Taurus Model 617B in it. 7 rounds of .357 magnum is hard to argue with.

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar
    Sadly, all too many of us are faced with the same decision. I can tell you that I choose to at least have a Kel-Tec P-32 in a pocket holster. I have gotten away with it for over 3 years and I am fairly sure that I will continue to get away with it for the forseeable future. Except in the unlikelihood that I will need to use it, and in that case I'd much rather deal with the consequences of having it than have to deal with the consequences of not having it. But again that's an individual choice that nobody can make for you, you know better than anybody else whether a) you can get away with it, and b) if it's worth the risk.

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    I would request an exemption to policy and if it was not granted I would either not carry or get a new job. It is your right to carry but it is your companies right to make the rules while you are in their car and on their property.

I am facing the same policy at my office and I am still waiting for a decision on my request for exemption to policy. If they don't grant it I will not break the policy.

If you carry a gun you have to live by a higher standard.

Sorry I know that is not what you want to hear.
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

Easiest solution: carry the Kel-tec
    2nd option: get some knife training and carry a good solid folder

Assistant Administrator
    Hello fsufanaz -

This darned decision problem - so (way too) common. Ultimately the choice has to be yours, based on an assessment of risk in all aspects. I expect the majority of folks would go the KT way so as to have at least some protection but, that obviously has to be measured against risk to job.

In your case it does seem you might manage much better than many and it would not be an actual illegality if so done - more a disobedience against policy.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

How about driving your own car, will the company let you do that?

It does sound like you need a different job.

I'd follow the company policy

As much as I object to your company's policy, I would follow it if I were an employee. I think that is the "deal" you make when you take the job.

But if guns are forbidden, I would certainly get an appropriate knife and some knife training, as well as some pepper spray. Martial arts are also good, but require time and dedication.

I do not wear a suit, just docker and a polo shirt. I don't think there is a policy against carrying per se. But there is a polcy against firearms in the company vehicle. I will have to do more research about the carry policy just to make sure. As far a driving my own car, that is also not allowed unless I get to many speeding tickets. Also this job would be difficult to replace in both pay and job satisfaction. Thanks for the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy Jimmy
    I would request an exemption to policy and if it was not granted I would either not carry or get a new job. It is your right to carry but it is your companies right to make the rules while you are in their car and on their property.
    Ditto.

Only you can weigh how important this job is to you, and how permanently getting caught would affect your future job prospects. If this is not a job you're that excited about, if this is not a career direction you are committed to, then getting caught isn't that big of a deal. If getting caught would seal you out of THE career you have always wanted, though... Is it really worth it?

You pays your money and takes your choice.

It seems to me concealability is the higher priority over firepower in your situation. You are most likely to be done in by one of your clients who then chooses to contact your boss. I'd make doubly sure there are no posted prohibitions on carrying in your clients' places of business. If there are, leave it in a car safe with a cabled lock.

I also support the examption idea. Wait until you get your CCW and then "pile" as many reasons into a lettrer (request):

-- You can state the if the State of AZ trusts you and your background to carry, it should account for something
    -- Maybe you work late hours and drive through not-so-safe areas... ?
    -- How about becuase you have expensive equipment in the vehicle that might make you a target for robbery?
    -- Have there been cases of service people being attacked/robbed etc. in the area/state?

In general, I believe rules and policies were designed so management can make exceptions...

-- FD

Having been in corporate america for the last 20 years, I believe that if you ask for an exception to the policy that the answer will not be "no" -- the answer will be "HECK NO!"

Management already knows if you have to go to unsafe areas at all hours. Management already knows that the state issues CCW permits and that employees may have them. Management already knows whether or not you carry expensive equipment. And THEY DON'T CARE.

Management doesn't care about any of that. They care about 1) following corporate policy so they don't get in trouble with their boss and 2) reducing corporate liability. They think that employees carrying firearms increases their liability (I'm not saying it would or it wouldn't -- I'm saying they think it would).

If I were you, I would make the decision without asking for an exception. I think asking for the exception would just open you up to increased scrutiny.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links