Need input on the realities of peaceable journey in MD

This is a discussion on Need input on the realities of peaceable journey in MD within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just found out that I am going to need to take a trip to Baltimore, MD at the end of next month. I am ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Need input on the realities of peaceable journey in MD

I just found out that I am going to need to take a trip to Baltimore, MD at the end of next month. I am looking for some input from people who live in the area about how things work. I have already looked up handgunlaw.us, and knew evern before that, that carrying there wasn't going to happen. But I am going to have a bit of a drive, in states that are more firearm friendly, and would like to take my pistol with me.

I carry a 1911, which IIRC is on the MD compliance list anyways. So, aside from lock it up in the trunk in a locked case with ammo seperate, and don't even think of touching it, is there anything else I need to know?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    I just found out that I am going to need to take a trip to Baltimore, MD at the end of next month. I am looking for some input from people who live in the area about how things work. I have already looked up handgunlaw.us, and knew evern before that, that carrying there wasn't going to happen. But I am going to have a bit of a drive, in states that are more firearm friendly, and would like to take my pistol with me.

I carry a 1911, which IIRC is on the MD compliance list anyways. So, aside from lock it up in the trunk in a locked case with ammo seperate, and don't even think of touching it, is there anything else I need to know?

How about since your destination is MD...FOPA aka Peaceable Journey will not cover you? You can't just drive around MD with a gun in your car...even unloaded.

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    [/SIZE][/B][/B]

How about since your destination is MD...FOPA aka Peaceable Journey will not cover you? You can't just drive around MD with a gun in your car...even unloaded.

From handgunlaw.us:

Q. Can I legally transport firearms interstate? (From the MD State Police)
    A. Yes, under Title 18, Section 926A, of the United States Code, a person who is not prohibited
    from possessing, transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm
    for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to
    any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the
    firearm is unloaded, neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or
    is directly accessible from the passenger compartment. In the case the vehicle does not have a
    compartment separate from the driver's compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in
    a locked compartment other than the glove compartment or console
    That is what I was going off of, can you cite where it says FOPA does not apply in MD?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

I grew up in MD ( 1 mile from DC). Hate to say but Baltimore is one of the biggest holes in the country. Even the main tourist areas are on the fringe.

Quote Originally Posted by Aiko View Post
    I grew up in MD ( 1 mile from DC). Hate to say but Baltimore is one of the biggest holes in the country. Even the main tourist areas are on the fringe.
    Unfortunately, I need to go there to pick something up at the end of next month. It is a trip I can not really avoid, I am planning on spending as little time as possible actually in Baltimore (less than an hour if possible), and the same goes for the state of MD. It's really going to be a 500 mile trip, to pick something up, and then turn around and go 500 miles back.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Administrator
    If you have the time, Annapolis is worth a visit. I can't comment much on MD gun laws, other than they suck and don't screw around with it. Get in and out of Baltimore is my advice.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I am going to Annapolis in Oct. to help my Dad celebrate his 80th birthday. Can't wait! Have been there once before. It is a pretty neat place esp for my Dad since he lived there for 10 years or so while his father taught at the Academy.
    Kimber UC II
    SA XD-45 SC
    1948 16g Remington Model 24
    Mossberg .410g shottie

From handgunlaw.us:

That is what I was going off of, can you cite where it says FOPA does not apply in MD?
    it applies for travel through MD not travel to MD, you are not permitted to carry a gun in MD so FOPA is not valid in your case.
    Hopyard likes this.

If you look at the exact wording in 926A it states(paraphrasing) "from a place where you can possess and carry to a place where you can posses and carry." Makes no exact mention of through even though the title is Interstate transportation of a handgun. There is no gun registration in MD so if you go straight to your destination you will be ok IMO. The MD AG said FOPA applies if EITHER your origin or destination are NOT in MD. That's my interpretation.

Usual caveats apply.

IANAL

I will find the ruling and attach it.
    Attached Files

From handgunlaw.us:

Q. Can I legally transport firearms interstate? (From the MD State Police)
    A. Yes, under Title 18, Section 926A, of the United States Code, a person who is not prohibited from possessing, transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment. In the case the vehicle does not have a compartment separate from the driver's compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked compartment other than the glove compartment or console.
    In the quote. If you are staying in Maryland, you are not authorized to carry or even have it there. Therefore you cannot transport it in Maryland either. If you were taking it from VT to VA, then the quote may apply.
    Hopyard likes this.

It's really going to be a 500 mile trip, to pick something up, and then turn around and go 500 miles back.
    Gun laws aside, with the price of gas, I'd be having whatever it is shipped to me - even a car or a boat.

IANAL, and I am not looking it up for you, but you cannot have your gun with you in MD (even locked up and unloaded) unless you are just driving through.
    Hopyard likes this.

In the quote. If you are staying in Maryland, you are not authorized to carry or even have it there. Therefore you cannot transport it in Maryland either. If you were taking it from VT to VA, then the quote may apply

Incorrect. MD 4-203 says you can transport a firearm under certain conditions. You could be going to a shooting event or range out of state, so you're perfectly legal Even if you were not the AG opinion states if both your origin and destination are not both in MD, the FOPA DOES cover you. How else could you travel with a handgun Interstate? As soon as you leave MD you are interstate not intrastate. NJ residents leave the state to travel and they are under FOPA because they are traveling out of state as well.

You CAN carry and posses in MD so FOPA wording is correct. Now this leaves the definition of "carry" open but I can carry on my property so carry and possess applies here. and meets the definition under FOPA

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    Gun laws aside, with the price of gas, I'd be having whatever it is shipped to me - even a car or a boat.

IANAL, and I am not looking it up for you, but you cannot have your gun with you in MD (even locked up and unloaded) unless you are just driving through.
    The price of gas for the trip is going to be paid, but I would not be able to get the price of having it shipped reimbursed. I do enjoy bureaucratic procedures and thought processes oh so much. I am going to be taking it from Ohio, doing a U-turn, and going back to Ohio.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post

This is simply not correct. MD 4-203 has a list of activities you can do while transporting a weapon. Could be a trip to a gun shop, range, shooting activity, etc. again, read the AG opinion I posted. If your trip started out of MD, FOPA still applies. Both origin and destination have to both be in MD for MD 4-203 to apply.. FOPA does not say you have to go through. It says from a place where you can posses and carry TO a place you can posses and carry. MD law does not prohibit either, as my reference to carry on private property being legal

Now once you arrive at your destination then MD 40-203 applies.If you then go to your friends house in MD with the weapon. Then you are breaking the law.

Your actual "destination", is your starting point.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links