10 Tips to Properly Carry Concealed w/ a Men’s Suit, Blazer, etc.

This is a discussion on 10 Tips to Properly Carry Concealed w/ a Men’s Suit, Blazer, etc. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'll have to at least keep these in mind. I'll be carrying under my suit at my wedding on the 21st. I've been tossing ideas ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: 10 Tips to Properly Carry Concealed w/ a Men’s Suit, Blazer, etc.

I'll have to at least keep these in mind. I'll be carrying under my suit at my wedding on the 21st. I've been tossing ideas back and forth about how best to do it. I won't be wearing a vest, will be wearing a light colored shirt and will probably be asked to remove the jacket at some point.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Thanks JD.

Also remember, your rifle sling should match your belt and your shoes.

Bumping a semi-old topic, but just letting you guys know I successfully carried at my wedding under a suit jacket and got made by no one. At least, no one who didn't already know I was carrying. The closest I got was when taking a picture with my grandmother, my wife and I after the ceremony. My grandmother decided to be cute and tickle" me. What she ended up "tickling" was the grip of my M&P .40c, though she was none the wiser (somehow) and went on as if nothing had happened.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave James View Post
    Sounds good until the "small arm holes" any thing that hinders the draw or aim is unwanted, small arm holes in coats will cause the arms to bind, and if the "talior"isn't truly trained in it the cut wil hamper the chest and back when it comes to the same set, every thing else is pretty much spot on , the way I have had suits made for the last 50 years
    I agreee, it would seem to me that smaller arm holes would not make a difference on how the jacket hangs with arms at your side, only when you raise your arms. If you have to put your arms up then the BG already has the drop on you.

I do agree with the mis-direction though. When I wear a tee shirt as a cover shirt I always want one that has an unusual design or expression on it. You will not believe how many people spend those three seconds as the approach you in a store isle reading the shirt instead of looking at you eyes, face or beltline. As the article said the trick is to make them look where you want them to look.

Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    I'll have to at least keep these in mind. I'll be carrying under my suit at my wedding on the 21st. I've been tossing ideas back and forth about how best to do it. I won't be wearing a vest, will be wearing a light colored shirt and will probably be asked to remove the jacket at some point.
    I wore an ankle holster at the last wedding I went to. I didn't have a sturdy belt that would fit through the small belt loops on my suit. Since most of the time at a wedding/reception your seated, the draw issue of an ankle holster is taken away and my ankle holster is one of the most comfortable holsters I have.

VIP Member
    Good Information JD
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    While wearing a suit, I carry my gun on a belt holster, strong side and the spare mag/flashlight on the weak side. I also use a thick belt to ensure holster security and suspenders to ensure my pants stay up. Otherwise, they sag and my pistol's business end is visually exposed. I also carry my black coated tactical knife clipped to my strong side pocket as well as prefer a clip-on necktie.

VIP Member
    I've worn a suit and a gun (and a radio, spare mags, flashlight, and more) a LOT. Many of these suggestions are good, but (for me at least) fall into the "really not necessary" category. I mean, you're wearing a full jacket - you're already way ahead of most folks when it comes to concealing. I also disagree with the vest suggestion - three piece suits and carrying don't mix, in my experience...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    I've worn a suit and a gun (and a radio, spare mags, flashlight, and more) a LOT. Many of these suggestions are good, but (for me at least) fall into the "really not necessary" category. I mean, you're wearing a full jacket - you're already way ahead of most folks when it comes to concealing. I also disagree with the vest suggestion - three piece suits and carrying don't mix, in my experience...
    Actually that was covered
    8. Wear a matching dark colored vest. This eliminates the stark contrast between the light colored shirt and your firearm and if worn under your jacket enables you to take your coat off without startling your officemates. Few suit vests can properly conceal a gun, so this is a supplemental item and does not substitute for a jacket. Wearing both a jacket and vest over your concealed weapon should be avoided if possible as it makes it harder to reach you weapon.
    Although it is kind of contradictory, I can not imagine wearing a vest without a suit jacket, but the kind of vest I wear with a suit goes under a OWB holster. Have never worn a stand alone vest, other than my hooying hn
    Those are all good points, and a matter of course for a skilled tailor accustomed to tailoring suits for those that carry. If your isn't get another tailor probably a hack anyway IMO. Mens Wearhouse is very carry friendly and will do most of the above as a matter of course, if you notify them that you carry. They will do any of the rest on request, or explain why it is not a good idea. Actually that is where I first saw / heard any of the above back when I was starting out with my business.

You are right a suit is a great cover garment but I hate the whole GQ yuppie scum bag thing I had to do for so many years. Not having to do it anymore is one of the great rewards of selling the business.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Great tips, my issue is I am a very hot natured person. When I wear suits, I try to find a way to take my coat off, so I use the Deep Concealment Holster. It adds some heat since it is a strap around the chest, but I can carry and remove my jacket.

Witht hat said, the tips are still valid, especially #1. You don't want to freak the person out who is about to have pins near you .
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Disagree with the use of a vest but agree with everything else.

I have to wear a suit to work every day and have received great service from Jos A Bank for tailoring around the weapon, adding patches, etc. El Paso Saddlery makes great holsters that will compliment the suit well.

Patches are VERY important in terms of protecting the garment.
    - SNA -

"Above all, we must realize that no arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women. It is a weapon our adversaries in today's world do not have" -- Ronald Reagan

Pocket carry works fine when a suit is the uniform of the day.
    Kholster/Glock 17/Rugar SR9c/Bersa 380CC/Ruger LCR/SW 624/ SW 629
    Doublestar Star 15 M4 5.56 / Mossberg 500 Tactical Persuader

I don't even call it violence when it's in self defense; I call it intelligence
    Malcolm X

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    Great article. Very useful information.

VIP Member
    Although the design features appear to address specific vulnerabilities similar to a 5:11 configuration, I’m not sure it would look very fashionable. My preference is Armani jackets which are form fitted and they look great albeit the cost. In this case I prefer a smart-carry. A tailor-made suit/jacket would be ideal but to pull it off in style, it may well cost a bundle. I’d rather dress for the venue and season and opt for a drawer of quality carry devices for a specific dress code.
    Attached Images
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links